Your Opinion: MD-MK1-UW or MD-MK2 nonUW

Hi,
I could buy a
MD-MK1-UW for €550,-- or a
MD-MK2 nonUW for 700,–
both in mint condition.

I know that MK1 only has 32 step sequenzer. I just sold my TR-8 which has to be substituted.
What would be your advice to go with?

THX, Denise

Personally I’d go with a MkIIUW+

Given the options though, depends on your setup… and what else you have?

I really value four bar patterns, was always one of my complaints about the MkI, well, that and the lack of kit space… should have been 128 kits, the room is there.

The UW, well, this is where it comes down to what else you have? tbh, I haven;t heavily used the UW functionality on my ones, but thats down to what else I’ve got.

With the MKI… you’re upgrading from a TR8 with 16 patterns, to a MD with 128 patterns, so you can work round the 2 bar limitation. The UW will allow you to loadsome samples in there, but there is a limited amount of memory available (2mb MkI, 2.5Mb MkII)

Going the MkII route, leaves you stuck with the MD sound set (thats not always a bad thing), but you might find some elements lacking.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but my advice would be to get neither, save a bit more, and get a MkIIUW+

mki is not serviced anymore by elektron…hence the mkii … the extra cash will not hurt cos u will always be able to sell her with just 50 maybe 100 euro loss … so if u keep her for say 12 months, it will be a 8 euro a month rental …

Totally agree with that.
I had a MkII for a long time. But I finished by sold it. Sincerely, the UW brings the stuff much higher.

Otherwise i have a Volca Bass and an Analog Four.

The MKII was created due to scarcity of parts for the MkI, particularly the power shy from what I understand. So if/when it has problems, you’ll have an expensive brick.

THX.
I’ve got the MK1UW for 550,–.
It is like new, original box with TM1.
I have a lot of fun with and can create better sound than before with the TR-8.

A4, MD and Volca Bass work perfectly together.

1 Like