Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Spoiler free discussion)

That’s an interesting take. My biggest fear right now is also that the “ground” world is the same we already know. But I trust the team to make it interesting. What made BOTW stand out ultimately was its world and all of the physics stuff was a bonus. I think they know this and won’t sacrifice the world building to building new physics systems. I think I would actually prefer a modern take on the different worlds formula to an underground world. Maybe we will get both :D?

A part of me thinks the hype has been pretty epic, and people are saying things like " this will be the greatest game of all time " - it could turn out that way, but also not. I’m thinking it might not be as stratospheric as everyones thinking, but who knows, hoping to be surprised. I feel like that initial hit of all the newness might be quite amazing before you get the feel for the gameplay loop and what’s actually going on. It could be a little bit more like, yeah, wow, this is a great remix on botw, a great new Hyrule, everything’s great, but it also might have issues and things people complain about, as every game does.

Anyway I think for me Link to the Past will always be #1. I played it at a really young age so it’s really stuck with me. I really love the Eastern Palace dungeon, that music really stuck with me. And the Link Between Worlds remix is amazing.

2 Likes

I still have massive reservations about the game, truth be told.

I’m worried it will pale in comparison to Elden Ring…

But I never anticipated liking Elden Ring as much as I did.

So I don’t know. Got it pre-ordered and am looking forward to finding out what the game’s about on Friday(it better arrive on Friday!!! :grinning:)

Yeah I hear ya. The only thing really is the previous title making stale the new one by way of it feeling tired or something. So you really have to hope that freshness reigns and it’s all good! I’m hoping! But I also won’t be disappointed if in many places it feels like more of the same

1 Like

I’ve watched the limited gameplay that Nintendo allowed others to share.

The ambient music of the sky islands is chefs kiss

I think I’m just hungry for having that mood pouring out of my TV speakers

1 Like

i’m really looking forward to having me some night-time sky islands

2 Likes

Get your sky islands lo-fi mix videos going quick! They’re going to be hot!

2 Likes

I did seriously consider an elgato unit and twitch account for a second there

2 Likes

Honestly, if it was just BOTW in a new world, I would be totally fine with that. I would have maybe even preferred if they just kept all the mechanics and items exactly the same and just built a new world that maybe also has some sky or underground dungeon elements. The fact that they didn’t makes me hope there’s just a lot of things they really wanted to explore but couldn’t in BOTW, so we’ll just see.

2 Likes

This?

Summary

Sounds different than what I remember, I’ll have to just wait till (hopefully) Friday to remind myself

I got BOW when it first released and never really got into it because of breaking gear and weapon durability and lack of direction. I gave it one more shot to determine if I didn’t like it, I could avoid the temptation of the new game … it finally clicked! I was playing into the wee hours of the morning this past weekend which is the sign of a good game. Amazing game once I expanded stamina instead of hearts. I plan on finishing it before going into the next one.

2 Likes

Zelda is my second-favorite game series behind Metroid. The atmosphere, art direction, soundtracks and puzzles are always on point. There’s an intense feeling of nostalgia associated with basically every Zelda release for me, especially the music, and even though I haven’t beaten every single game, I love them all the same. As others have discussed, it really taps into some sort of pure joy for me. I really love how they blend dour seriousness and heartfelt playfulness with the series.

I’m incredibly stoked for TotK, that would be lying if I said I wasn’t also a bit unimpressed by the new mechanics shown in the trailer. I pre-ordered a physical copy, and I might end up preordering a digital copy just so I can play it on release day.

Wind Waker is my favorite by a mile. That’s my favorite Zelda soundtrack, has some of my favorite dungeons, and has a sense of adventure and playfulness that I haven’t found any other game. Favorite dungeon: forest temple.

A link to the past is a close second. Nostalgic, surprisingly huge fir a SNES game, with another great soundtrack and puzzles that I still have to think about sometimes. I plan on going through a randomizer in the near future. Favorite dungeon: misery mire.

I’m also extremely fond of OOT as I grew up playing it - the soundtrack hits the nostalgia button like literally nothing else in the world does, and it’s so moody in a way I haven’t felt in any other video game. Favorite dungeon: spirit temple. The atmosphere is incredible.

3 Likes

Yeah, I had a similar experience except more that I am too stubborn to not play a game I paid 60 dollars for.

I’m sure if I booted botw up I’d have a fun time with again, but thr things you mentioned make me not want to. :grinning: (despite having beat the game twice)

Worst case scenario, totk will be the same where ill have to adapt to it, but will have fun with it, but won’t echo the cheers BEST GAME EVA!!!

Ocarina of Time, but I haven’t played the gamecube/wii Zeldas

I’ve also come to appreciate the water temple in my older years.

Oracle of Ages was really cool too, but never beat it- there was such an experimentation with time
/events that i wish they did more in their mainline games

1 Like

You remind about how funny Zelda actually is. It’s got a lot of comedy baked in. In Botw a lot of the NPC’s have some pretty hilarious one liners and dialogue. And the translation is always on point, too, you can tell they went out of their way to make sure they were going for the right words on certain jokes

5 Likes

I’m hitting the local store at 10:00 on Friday. :clock10:

2 Likes

I’ll be there 9:45.

Favorite (if I had to choose one): Twilight Princess
Dungeons that stood out: SS - Cistern; TP - Arbiter’s, City in the Sky, Temple of Time; LBW - Thieves’ Hideout; MM - Stone Tower Temple
Music that stood out: BotW - Great Plateau (the use of negative space here is masterful); TP - Snowpeak (ambient bliss); LoZ - Intro and Overworld; OoT - Intro and Temple of Time

I don’t know if it’s sense of nostalgia or the confidence that any new Zelda game will be very good, if not game changing, that gets me so hyped. Perhaps an element of both, but if the entries weren’t so regularly brilliant, I don’t think I would be so pumped for each one.

This entire lead up I’ve just gotten this sense from Nintendo of supreme confidence in this entry: theyd barely shown us anything…still haven’t, honestly…but a month out offered us only glimpses of additions that will address everyone from physics hackers to dungeon masters to boss fighters to loreists. They’re not clamoring for media attention because they know exactly what they have.

They are better puzzle games than Zelda…more exciting mechanics than Zelda…richer stories than Zelda…but nothing comes close to it as a complete gaming package.

2 Likes

will never be on sale either

As much as I’m looking forward to this game, I’ll be muting this thread until after release. Not taking any risks these last couple of days :smiley:

2 Likes