Zoom MS-70CDR low input level and noise/clipping

Hi guys! Anyone here using this pedal? I just realized that one of my CDRs is not working properly. When I plug a synth into the left input (mono) the level is weak/low and there is notorious noise which looks like it increases with the amplitude of the incoming signal. It is mostly noticeable on bass sounds with high frequencies removed with a filter. I already tried everything (powering with batteries, changing cables, using different synths, etc.) and the problem persists. I have another CDR which works ok and comparing them side by side, the first one definitely has a lower volume and has this strange noise. Maybe the input stage is damaged? I appreciate any help/advise. Thanks a lot!

Have this wonderful little gem and will say never had any problems like this…

They are cheap enough to be disposable i guess…but that doesn’t sound well…

You could try a reset…???

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes, I will try that tomorrow. Thank you for the link! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did a further investigation of the problem and it seems that only the LEFT input has this problem. When connecting both LEFT and RIGHT, the RIGHT seems to work fine, but obviously I’m hearing more the right channel cause the left is very weak and noisy. Because I’m always using a mono signal from my synths, in theory I could connect the synth to the RIGHT input and just ground the LEFT (in order for the CDR to work, you must connect something to the left input and this is normal). However, I’m concerned about what could cause such a failure? Can it be a balanced output from my synth that was connected to the unbalanced CDR left input? Could it be a fauly AC/DC adapter?

I decided to remove the bottom panel and see what’s inside hehe. So, there is a PCB board that has the two input jacks, some resistors, capacitors and two transistors. There is also a cable with 7 wires going to the main board. I tried to move it cause I thought maybe there is a bad contact or something, but it didn’t help. I then touched the solder terminals with my multimeter’s probe and when I did this on the first pin, it made a click and then the sound was normal! So it worked ok after that. I just assembled it again and will give it a try.

1 Like

I have the same problem with my cdr70, it seems to be caused by inputting too much level when using the synthesizer. Searched here when looking for a solution, but didn’t get a suitable answer. Today I replaced the two transistors (Q3&Q5)on the input board and the problem was solved. I don’t recommend doing it yourself. Mistakes may completely destroy the pedal. It’s just a reference for those in need.

2 Likes

hey, intresting info.

what transistors have you used as replacement???

Hi,Actually I don’t know what kind of transistor is used in the original stock, according to the “BR” printed on the stock transistor, I found a “2SC2412K” SMD transistor. It seems to be working fine.

1 Like

:thinking:

hey great thx for info :ok_hand: