Zoom R12 - any thoughts or experiences to share?

This one slipped under my radar, at least. Not that that’s much of a challenge. But still. I kind of like this. Anyone has any experience with this one?

1 Like

Hey, don’t be a stranger @HoldMyBeer - if it’s just the two of us here, I’ll buy you one until the others show up :beers:

1 Like

Apparently it only has two inputs, like the early digital recorders. It makes zero sense in 2023. I’d rather get an L-12 or an R16 instead.

:beers:

It’s certainly interesting. The biggest turnoff for me here would be that there is only two inputs, but that is pricepoint here.

I was somewhat interested in the larger version, the R20, when it was released last year, but most of the inputs were XLR only, with only two combo jacks that accepted 1/4”. I really need to see myself getting a lot of use out of a device in order to redo all my cables.

Back to the R12, the price is very intriguing for sure as a scratchpad. I would probably use it to capture ideas, noodles, and sketches from my fx pedals. It is also intriguing that there are built in synths, so that this could be used as a sound source as well. And battery power is always a plus.

I guess the question is @circuitghost, what would this offer over something like the Blackbox, which I have never used, but I know you have used extensively?

Nothin’ :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s another one on me :beers:

1 Like

:rofl: :beers:

1 Like

Ive used the zoom r16 for years. 8 inputs, super easy and intuitive to use. Almost endless recording with a big SD card. I like that the layout is like an old 4-track too.
I have the direct outs from my mixer running into it and eq, and run aux effects that way. Would highly recommend for dawless recording!

My dream is that zoom releases one of these that also has 8 outputs.

1 Like