Zulu SCSI and a Korg Triton

Bit of a long shot here…

I have Zulu SCSI attached to my Triton Rack. I can create hard drives, which work. I can load CD images of AKAI sample CDs and they load and play.

then I tried to create a CD image with my own .wav files on, and with a PCG file on.

The Triton can see the files, but it doesn’t recognise the file extensions.

Is there something obvious I am doing wrong? Does it need to have a certain directory structure?

According to the manual it should read PCM wav, 16 bit up to 48khz?

the fact it doesn’t even seem to like the .PCG file confuses me!

Current idea is to get Chickensys translator free and see if I can use that to move files to the formatted hard drive files…

ok: ok, so no-one cares and this probably won’t come up again, but just in case someone later finds this by google search:

issue solved by making sure the disc image was the older ISO9660 not EDF format.

4 Likes

Hi

I hope you don’t mind me picking your brains. I’m a new Triton Rack owner and I’m still finding my feet with it. And one of the issues I’m having, is with a Zulu SCSI-SD device. Specifically this one https://amigakit.amiga.store/zuluscsi-mini-adapter-p-91288.html

I have just received mine today. When I attach it to my Triton Rack, I have to use an external usb power cable. Other users of SCSI-SD devices say the dsub of the SCSI card supplys the power to the device. Is that the case with yours?

But the main problem is, there is no option to format the card on the Triton. I created a 4GB FAT16 partition on a 32GB card. The Triton recognises it as SCSI device 1, with an unformatted 4GB drive. But when I open the Utility menu, the only option is to scan for SCSI devices. There is no option to format the drive. How do I format the card on the Triton?

1 Like

Hi - I have the same one, and mine powers from the Triton. I have seen someone else mentioning their EXB-SCSI didn’t power it (or an SD to SCSI, but it will be the same issue), just tried to google it up but couldn’t immediately see it.
Maybe open the rack and reseat the EXB-SCSI card as a first option? It should be getting power off the last pin (25) I think.

Second question:

at the bottom of the disk screen it says

Load/Save/Utility/Inform

you need to be in Utility first - so press F3. Then go into the Utility menu and you should see “Format”.

From Load or Save you don’t get the same menu.

Just typing that out makes my head hurt, so god knows how they got through all the user testing without someone questioning that there are two menus called Utility on the same window and so no way to write a clear manual.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If that isn’t the issue, then these two videos are super useful on how to get it going, everything I know I pretty much got from them:

found the power thing - might be a fuse on the EXB-SCSI

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10224968696418717&set=p.10224968696418717&type=3

Yes, it was a case of selecting the Utility page on the disk menu, then opening the “msin” Utility function. I was able to format the card with no issues. And yes, it is a real head scratcher. Why korg didn’t make that clear?

And that little surface mounted fuse could be the problem. I’ll check pin 25 and see if it’s putting out anything. If not, then I’ll just continue to use the USB power option.

I know the Triton can read Akai S1000 and 3000 sample images. But can you tell me what type of image they are? I’ve tried copying iso’s over. But although the Triton sees them OK, it doesn’t load them. So I’m assuming the iso’s have to be extracted and compiled into another image format?

Thanks for your help with this. It’s been invaluable.

1 Like

Hi, no worries - s3000/s1000 images read fine for me - as long as they’re labelled CD1.iso (or whatever drive number). The only thing I can suggest is if maybe someone ripped the iso recently and it’s the EDF format ISO - I burnt some images myself and it shows the files if it is EDF format, but doesn’t recognise the files as Akai programs… Maybe that?

If you can see the names of the files, but they don’t have a little “Akai P” or just “Akai” next to them, and they won’t open, it might well be this.

Ive been using Daemon tools to burn in 9660 format ISO, so you could try something like that to make sure they are the older format images…