1010music Blackbox

Welp I know what I’m doing tomorrow. Thanks for sharing! Are they following this up with documentation or will that come soon?

If not all good. The patch notes are pretty detailed. I might start making my own kind of Fork for the newish features that I find useful. Maybe a guide to interesting sampling techniques with the blackbox. Who knows. A guide sounds more useful :upside_down_face:

Yep. I use a Meris Polymoon for that purpose.

You’ll love the Box from where you’re coming. Consider it a sixteen track tape recorder. All reels are super long. Once recorded, you can slice, dice, mix and move around them and then make all this into a song. For a more traditional musician (which is where I’m coming from, too), the Blackbox is a great gateway. Go for it, man. You’re still young. At worst, you can afford to make mistakes🕺

4 Likes

I WISH I was a musician, I’m just a campfire guitarist, really, my guitar knowledge stops at barre chords and first shape Am pentatonic :smiley:
I think you’ve pushed me over the edge though :slight_smile: The Polymoon is pricey, though, I think I’ll have to make to with the Ibanez DE-7 for now, maybe a new reverb later on. Or, and that would be a dream come true, an Empress Zoia.
Thanks, I’m off to look for a retailer that ships to Italy, I think Thomann despite the long delivery times should be the best option anyway.

Also, not to abuse your kindness, where could I find some tutorials/workflow tips?
Thanks again!!

1 Like

Hey, you’re a musician, don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. You play, you enjoy it, stuff comes out. You are a musician. Skill, level of fame, number of YouTube subscribers, Soundcloud followers, don’t make you a musician. They give you a career, but that’s another thing.

Thomann is a great option with return options if you don’t like the Box. Also, for good tutorials, check out Ricky Tinez videos. I haven’t found one that really just drills down on how the Blackbox actually works, but for what it does, it’s an easy instrument to approach. So check out Ricky Tinez and once you get the Box, if you’re lost, just come here and we’ll help you.

6 Likes

Can you load clips while sequencer is running ?

I believe you can do anything while the sequencer is running, including recording or loading clips. This ability in particular is what makes it a great live looper.

2 Likes

Been messing around with 1.4… the new slice mode opens up a lot of new possibilities, when combining Quantize and Loop ON with sample chaining - rivalling Octatrack slice mode or even Ableton scenes.
Most importantly for me, with properly edited sample chains, you can circumvent the 16 pad limit now. Hypothetically, you could have a Preset with 16 pads x 128 ‘slice clips’, meaning a total of 2048 ‘slice clips’ distributed evenly on 16 pad channels (I still have to test the upper limit though). In any case, I will no longer have to split up my live sets into multiple presets. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

As far as I know it cannot play a signal while it gets recorded (I mean the same signal). IMHO a live looper needs to be able to do this.

It certainly can. By default the input is monitored when you select an empty cell to record a sample. You can also set it from here with the twist of a knob to always monitor input.

2 Likes

Ah, now I remember correctly: it was about fx can’t be applied to a live signal. Thanx for the clarification.

1 Like

Just received mine, and yes it is smaller than expected - perfect size i love micro gear.

1 Like

Hi guys, I’ve been following this thread for a while now. Seems like a nice little but powerful device. Great to see regular updates.

Quick question - is the screen glass or plastic? Does it feel solid?

Material wise I am not sure but it feels solid. Like I am not afraid to use this this as a finger drum pad sometimes solid. The entire unit feels like a tank tbh. Impressive build.

2 Likes

I second this! Everything about the thing is solid, in fact.

3 Likes

I’m bringing mine everywhere. It’s taken abuse from my kids, my own careless backpack handling, and it’s been out and about in both city and country. So far, not a scratch.

4 Likes

Yea I have guitar nails if that makes sense and no scratches for me. Good to know it can take more abuse though!

SOLVED - card needs to be formatted as exFAT rather than FAT32 :slightly_smiling_face:

(Update doesn’t seem to work with 128GB cards. Reboots in a cycle. Tried an 8GB card & it worked OK. Reverting back to 1.3.6 & all is fine. Bug report on 1010 forum. Posting here in case anyone here has same problem or large card.)

1 Like

Good to know as I also have a 128. Interesting since they support up to 512. Guess I’ll just wait. Thanks for the warning!

1 Like

Well… if nothing big is out at Namm tomorrow, this baby is gonna be mine.

4 Likes

Next step - find small battery solution for added portability

1 Like