1010music Blackbox

Then now I am even more confused why the BB is doing this haha

So this new grid mode for the keyboard is pretty ballerā€¦

Comes with a whole lotta scales!

Miyakobushi, Mixolydian, Blues Minor, etcā€¦

I might have to live record these scales on the DN and then go do parameter locks afterwards :thinking:

4 Likes

Howā€™s that work? Is every note in the scale, and every row an octave it looks like?

1 Like

Anyone has a tip about a case for the BB? There isnā€™t an official one, anyone managed to find one of the right size?

Itā€™s a great update, the new slice key mode is great too!

Yep! Makes it super fun to sound like you know what you are doing :joy:

1 Like

I just play everything in Gb/F# major pentatonic, or Eb/D# minor pentatonic

aka black keys only. Never fails :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I donā€™t know if you are joking or not, but why not!

Iā€™m using this guy think it was suggested on the 1010music forum. Itā€™s like $10, works. Made by USA Gear

5 Likes

I think I found it on Amazon Italy. How deep is the case? I wonder if I can fit a powerbank there too

Ok so really short demo of how the Grid works for anyone curious.

Basic 4 on the floor Kick/Snare.

2 synth samples. So just 4 samples and you can have a ton of fun haha

Live record using the Keys Grid. Picked a scale I didnā€™t know and itā€™s pretty fun to jam about:

14 Likes

Thatā€™s basically every Daft Punk and Kraftwerk track ever made. They never left the pentatonic scale. Ever.

Nah unfortunately thereā€™s not a lot of headroom for power bricks, just a couple of cables. Iā€™m using the Omars power brick I just carry it alongside the case no biggie. Some random info -Ricky Tinez uses the same Omars power brick in his BB tutorial.

Iā€™ll check it out, thanks :slight_smile:
Also, Rickyā€™s video is awesome, if Iā€™ll ever be half as good as he is Iā€™ll have something to celebrate.

1 Like

Nice jam.
Raga Bhairav, one of my favourite scales.
The Korg electribes already had it. Actually, looking at the scales in BB, the selection appears to be identical to the one found on the electribes.

edit: not identical, but the BB has almost two thirds of the electribe scales.

1 Like

Anyone using this to DJ?

Of course there are other options that are probably better but Iā€™m looking for a loop player that will allow me to play some longer loops (16+ bars) back in a DJ style, and the price is right on this one.

If anyone is using it in this manner, how is the beat syncing? How is the workflow of reloading pads with fresh loops live?

I donā€™t mind doing some prep work, like what was needed on Octatrack. I imagine quantized triggering is just a matter of putting a loop start on step one?

Is it worth exploring if all I need is this simple functionality?

Ricky is definitely a cool cat! Had the pleasure of meeting him at a Deluge workshop then chopped it up at NAMM with him a few times. Heā€™s performing with Cuckoo tomorrow night at a club In Fullerton, CA (near the NAMM convention). Might have to fanboy my way over there lol!

Iā€™ve DJed with it twice, when not playing it live.
Beat syncing is tight enough in clip mode, depends on how well you edit the samples. Not much you can do in the way of nudging, OT is better with that. Here you have to work with relative master tempo adjustments.
Speeding up a clip is easy on the ears, time-compression wise. Slowing down the tempo sounds harsher after a few bpm, but you can compensate the time-stretch by pitching the clip down accordingly.
I used to reload samples to pads in clip mode, but as of 1.4. I will transition some clips to ā€˜slice clipsā€™, so I wonā€™t have to reload as much. Started today, letā€™s see how long it takes and if it works in a booth situation.
The preparation time is comparable to OT.

Setting up two channels to a DJ mixer makes blending a lot easier, although mixing only from the main out is doable.

P.S. Quantized triggering of clips works almost like ableton, first you define the amount (default 1 bar), it will trigger at the next mark once you have pressed the pad.

PPS. Make sure your loops are either less than 512 beats long, or if longer than that,
(2^n) beats.

5 Likes

Perhaps someone could help me with this.

Mine arrived today blah blah etc etc.

I am trying to get it to receive clock and transport from the OT and cannot get it to work.

Iā€™ve tried numbered channels, omni, receive clock from all, but nothing.

Thanks

This is my intention. Alongside the OT, I feel that this pair would be great for this very scenario.

We are playing a live gig on the 7th, and I plan to do an hours set at the start of the night with these two as a test.

1 Like