1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

I don’t have it hooked up at the moment to test. But I know I’ve sucessfully modulated the “Play pos” in fixed mode using midi cc, but I did not test it with “Start pos” (which becomes available in moving mode)

1 Like

i’m assuming the answer is no since the only mention of the Midi Out in the user guide is basically describing simple Midi Thru functionality, but has anyone found a way to pass the internal modulators (LFOs, EGs and mod sequencer) out as Midi CC’s?

1 Like

Alas, it doesn’t do that.

It’s a good idea, though. I’ll pass it back to the rest of the team at 1010music for consideration for an update. Thanks for the suggestion!

3 Likes

Stimming: 15 Minutes with 1010music Nano Lemondrop

4 Likes

He makes it seem sexual.

Can the Lemondrop record live audio, like in a buffer, and then you just mess with that small bit of recorded audio? Or is live audio like a real time effect instead?

1 Like

You can record audio and run the recorded audio (up to the first 30s, I think, although I don’t remember offhand) through either of the granulator oscillators.

Or, for extra credit, you can use live audio for one oscillator and a recording of recent audio through the other.

5 Likes

I didn’t know it could do that. So you can then store the 30sec audio clips? Effectively sampling?

2 Likes

Yeah. You can either record the line in or resample. Right arrow twice from the dashboard brings you to the record screen; set your configuration (resample or line in, stereo/mono, recording threshold) and press Record. You have to stay on the screen while you’re recording, so you can’t use the grid keyboard, but if you have a MIDI controller connected you’re able to play normally. Recordings get stored on the microsd in a separate folder. You can record more than 30 seconds at a time, but going back and using the recordings in the granular synths caps out at 30 seconds.

5 Likes

It’s a bit like a two layered looper with 30 seconds of recording time, if you will.

4 Likes

That’s super cool. I was thinking audio was either in realtime or had to be imported via SD card.

Edit: Ahhh I see, it was in a recent firmware update. And I read that it does indeed record/play back stereo samples… that’s a huge thing.

2 Likes

And it resamples.

So, there.

4 Likes

I thought WAV files put onto the SD card had to be mono? Am I wrong on that?

I didn’t know it could resample. That is awesome!

1 Like

I’m kinda sold on the Lemondrop. I don’t want to be - it’s too small and has a touch screen. But it sounds so good! I also thought I wouldn’t be interested because Borderlands Granular on iPad is so wonderful. But it feels very unique in its own way.

2 Likes

They can be stereo or mono, and even different sample rates (although 24bit/48khz is recommended)…

Had this thing for a few days now and I’m smitten. Sound quality is indeed stellar, and once you get your head around the internal and external modulation possibilities it’s nearly as powerful as the Pro 3 (and in some ways even more so!) I like many others was concerned about the tiny UI, but once becoming acclimated I think only the QWERTY naming screen needing very precise inputs is an issue… otherwise an elegant design with thoughtful choices.

I’m excited about importing my own files, input recording and real-time processing. As @circuitghost has said the polyphonic audio mangling/manipulation potential is staggering.

Also for those turned off by the price, don’t be. If Teenage Engineering had developed this and put it in a slick aluminum box they would have charged over $1k for it.

6 Likes

Totally.

I’ve done a few Prophet 12 patches in the blackbox. They come across really well and four times out of five, I don’t need the actual synth to get to where I’m going, the multi-sample patches will do just fine. It’s that good.

2 Likes

I’m considering picking one up, can you sample straight into it?
Or does it only import audio via SD card and do live run-through the inputs as an FX device?

1 Like

With the newest FW you can record from the inputs (up to 30sec I believe) and save directly to SD. I haven’t messed with the realtime (live) processing functionality yet…

One thing is that when you record the inputs you can’t hear what is coming in by default… maybe you have to switch the active grain osc to “live” first? That would make sense.

1 Like

Thanks, it seems to come close to what I would like it to do, but hearing the input would be essential. Can anybody confirm? Would also like to know if the granular functionality of the black box is in any way comparable, any takers?

Either way, seems like a great device!

1 Like

I can’t right now as it’s not in front of me. Maybe @circuitghost would know?

I have both the LD and Blackbox now and will be comparing them back-to-back, but I do know that there are more parameters on the LD, as well as each patch being three layers (including the waveform osc) and having 4-voice poly. Also, supposedly if you have multiple instances of granular going on the Blackbox it can slow it’s operation down considerably (Stimming demonstrates this in his review)…

2 Likes