1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Check out 4:40 in this video for live input.

1 Like

Around 5:30 the functionality is demonstrated but itā€™s in ā€œresampleā€ mode, so still not clarifying if you can monitor while recording from the input jack or not.

1 Like

Cheers for the info, helpful! Iā€™ll check Stimmingā€™s review of the BBā€¦

1 Like

Also this LD review is informative and quite amusing (love the dudeā€™s dry delivery)

2 Likes

Thereā€™s an input level for monitoring the input live, without granulation.
When sampling, either youā€™re going to record that dry signal or resample the granulated signal.
If you setup the input for live granulation, youā€™ll be monitoring what youā€™re going to resample.

2 Likes

I have a sweet spot for crossfading between samples.
I assume itā€™s something you can do with the LD, right?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the Gain level I believe? But in my last LD session when I actually went to record, the monitoring of what was being recorded was muted. Unless thereā€™s another parameter I didnā€™t see, or (as mentioned above) having a grain osc switched to ā€œLiveā€ would perhaps enable this (while not needing to be in ā€œResampleā€ recording mode)ā€¦

The manual is not updated with these new features and the FW update notes donā€™t go into much detail regarding these questions. I suppose @KF6GPE would be the one to ask :slight_smile:

Easily, with LFOs, the XY pad or external cc control.

1 Like

From the Home Screen, press the Left Arrow, scroll down to Line Thru and turn up the input for live input monitoring.

3 Likes

Thank you! Thatā€™s what we were looking for :+1:

1 Like

Happy to help.

2 Likes

You can monitor your input live, no problem. This was in fact essential before the firmware update introduced recording, since the Lemondrop wouldā€™ve been close to pointless before then, without live input.

Since live input also responds to scales and velocity, you can really go to granular town with this one if you push it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s comparable, but they differ. Applying granularity on a long ass loop in the blackbox, making the playback bipolar, such things ā€¦ thatā€™s just something else. The Lemondrop is the better sound design instrument but I prefer the blackbox for what it does to long, evolving textures.

2 Likes

Thanks, good to know! Seems like the black box gives a lot of additional functionality for not a lot more money, but sometimes a more focussed device can be good as well. I like the idea of sampling, granular treatment and polyphonic playing. Decisionsā€¦

1 Like

Lemondrop records 30 seconds of sampling time. Blackbox records till your memory card is full.

One of those likely resonates more with you than the other. And then youā€™ll know.

2 Likes

A BlackBox and a LemonDrop walk into bar.

The bartender asks ā€˜What will you have?ā€™

The LemonDrop says ā€˜A Gin and Tonicā€™

The BlackBox says ā€˜Let me think about it for a whileā€¦ā€™

3 Likes

Encountered an issue and have no idea why this happens. On about 90% of any sample that I load, even the factory ones, the play position doesnā€™t cover the entire range of the wavefile. Most of the time it gets stuck at 40% or so and canā€™t move further. Anybody else encountered this?

Thomann has these at around $390 shipped to the US and that is with 2 day shipping. I went for it, hoping I can make some cool techno/house pad/leads with it as Iā€™m not into ambient music.

Anyone sampled records into this thing yet? I really want to try that. I know typical source material is strings, padsā€¦etc but I was curious what else you all have thrown into it.

I have their drum machine coming too, of course I will sample beats from it into the Lemondrop as well. That is high on the list.

I only sampled records into it so far. Mostly longer notes or chords but vocals and fx are great too. A short guitar run or piano notes with some reverb are great for putting over some dark techno or something. Itā€™s a bit hit and miss but eventually i always find a good sample.

1 Like

I sampled some guitar and vocal music coming from a tinny carpark speaker and it was great for bizarre pads and noises. I think you can go down a long rabbit hole with this box. It is great.

Iā€™ve tried putting drum loops in it with less success. I think the issue is that there is an envelope on the grain so the beginning of the beat isnā€™t at full strength and it fades in. It kind of throws the timing off, or at least itā€™s an off-kilter rhythm Iā€™m not getting to chime with a regular drum machine.

I posted about granular drum loops on the 1010 forum but didnā€™t get a response. But maybe my technique is wrong. Anyone using it for drum loops and care to share a recording and method?

1 Like