1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Really loving the lemondrop so far but found two pretty big issues. Already made a ticket about this.

1. Some samples, even the factory samples, seem to have an issue. It’s very random which samples work properly and which do not regardless of format (even mono 48khz 24bit). When changing the play position it will not go from the beginning to the end of the sample but only half way or even shorter sometimes.

edit: I seem to have stumbled on a solution to this but not entirely sure. Turning the lemondrop off and re-inserting the SD and then boot again seems to have made the issue less severe but it’s still there. So maybe rebooting a few times can help here.

1. LFO waveforms don’t seem to work. It keeps modulating like a triangle waveform regardless of the waveform I choose. This is such an obvious one that I can’t imagine this being a firmware bug as I’d imagine more people having this issue? It’s a strange one for sure.
2 Likes

I wonder if this is an SD card problem?

Are you on the latest firmware?

1 Like

yeah.

@plragde it’s the SD card that came with it though but it seems likely yeah

1 Like

I haven’t used imported or factory samples yet. Only used direct recording and no problem so far LFO wavefroms not tested yet).
What i don’t like though is that you can’t edit the wavefile after the recording.

You can’t edit the start and end point of the file?

I haven’t tried direct recording yet, but that seems like a must have feature that I hope they address.

2 Likes

Afaik there’s now way to do this inside the Lemondrop.

I was just wondering about this because I want to sample into it today. My workaround will be to use the threshold so there is no blank sound at the start.

But yeah, they really need to flesh out these nanos a little more because we really need this feature.

@davemech I noticed this same issue with playback last night. The sample seems to start towards the end and even rolling the playback to the oppostite value, it seems to play towards the end of the file. I assumed user error, but if you are having the same issue then, it may not be.

1 Like

Don’t have it the Lemondrop front of me right now but pretty sure you can set start position. I agree they should make the sample start end point editable after recording.

I and others had an issue where One oscillator would play/loop backwards. Fixed itself I think just by restarting and it only happened once or twice, but I guess there are some bugs to address, but shouldn’t detract from an awesome box.

Yes, you can set the start position but when you set it to loop it scrolls through the whole waveform that you recorded and also plays the section before the start position.

2 Likes

Ah didn’t realise. Good catch.

Not a big issue though. And i agree, it’s a great instrument. A friend has the GR-1 and i also wanted a granular box. GR-1 was too expensive and not really available most of the time. So i got the Lemondrop and i’m very happy with it. I’m using it with a usb to midi converter and novation launch control xl. Works pretty well together.

Just downloaded the wavetables so will give that a try soon. Thanks for the tip.

A bit off topic but I also downloaded the razzmatazz samples which I might load into my op-z some day! Are other people doing this with downloading sample libraries for one device and using it on another device?

1 Like

I have also seen the stopping half way issue.

It’s on moving, going through the sample, gets to a point and all the grains bunch up and stop.

I agree that a start and end trim would helpful - a hard line that greys out parts of the waveform, separate from the start position

I have not seen the LFO issue tho. Random and sine lfos are certainly acting how they should for me.

I was surprised that there is no Reverse Grains option like on Beads, but my workaround is to flip the sample on my MPC before I load it up.

However it would be rice for a Bidirectional looping mode to play forward then backwards as it moved back and further.

1 Like

Regarding LFO’s, I think I found that you have to retrigger notes for the change to take effect. So if you’re holding a note / droning nothing will happen.

4 Likes

Ahhhh
That must be it. I’ve been droning this whole time. Droning till the end of days.

Cool. Will try that out. Thanks ! :pray:

4 Likes

Latest issue:

I’m having an issue with 24bit 48khz wav files generated by my MPC Live.

Specifically - those samples that I “bounced” to a sample from a plugin instrument show peaking to the point of distortion (upper OSC) while those recorded from the line in via the sampler are normal (bottom osc).

Both samples have been normalised to appropriate levels, so should be similar volumes. Every bounced sample from my last session is like this.

The sound if the files is one of mostly noise with some of the original sound coming through. I’ve posted on the 1010 forum about it.

2 Likes

Yeap I’ve had this happen as well. You need to normalize the files to -1db. I suspect intersample peaks cause this issue. The weird thing is that even with izotope maximizer limiting in true peak mode at -1db still causes this issue. And I’ve seen this before where after using the maximizer intersample peaks were still happening.

So best to use an external tool to normalize at -1db before importing into lemondrop

1 Like

I had some of my imported samples do the same thing, intermittent digital clipping. I turned the volume way down on some and used them as a “noise layer”… but that wouldn’t normally be what one would want :slight_smile: