1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

You guys ever build stuff? Like you know how big pots and jacks are under the hood? The screen is not the only hardware component to consider when putting together an electronic device and deciding upon necessary dimensions for the housing.

1 Like

file under: “technically the truth”.

I said the display has a huge bezel. subjectively true.
I’m pointing this out because the display on the blackbox, which I own, and enjoy, is edge to edge. just saying. it comes as a surprise

1 Like

Ya know, I didn’t even see the black bit surrounding the usable area of the screen. So yeah that’s definitely a bit much! Also kinda renders my previous comment irrelevant. But I’m leaving it to teach me to shut up until I’ve fully considered what I’m replying to :0)

1 Like

You make music with your ears not your eyes!!

Just kidding, someone had to say it. I’ll probably get mine on Monday by the looks of it. Looking forward to seeing what this thing can really do.

Maybe im just dumb, but something about iPad apps have too similar a sonic profile to them. Its fun for like a couple days, but then I feel claustrophobic

3 Likes

Yeah its just not the same for me either. I was early into ipad production, there are some really nice apps out there, but nothing that really grabs me. Drambo is probably my favorite and I can just run that on my laptop now.

1 Like

I read good news on these nanos on the 1010 forums today from Aaron, who I believe builds these boxes.

They have already made an update to this box, there is a 1.1 firmware on the site. The features are:

• Per pad loading and saving with bundled content
  • MIDI mapping of macro and mixer screens
  • Teleporter screen available by holding the home button

More awesome is that they are alreay looking into battery packs for these nanos. I think that would be a game changer to have them in truly portable form.

1 Like

Great update, seems like Elektron-style Sounds. :smiley:

1 Like

I got mine. Am still diving into it. For those who want quick impressions - this thing is exceptionally deep. Just scrolling the presets machines really shows what it can do. There were many times I heard some massive kicks just scrolling through, but what really stood out is the amount of modulation you can put on each sound. There are 2 envelopes per sound plus an LFO so automating decay or sample start is super easy. It makes the drums really come to life. And the presets show that off, as a ton of modulation is used on a lot of them.

This is a pretty complex machine for being so small. Compared to my Tr6s, it is far easier to customize your own sounds. The Tr6s basically needs the editing app to make it’s menu diving tolerable, but the Razz is simply begging you to customize the drums however you want. Soundwise, the Tr6s is a gem with all the classic Roland sounds, and the Razzmatazz has some really nice kicks, hats (606ish at times) but also goes into much deeper FM territory than the Tr6s does. You could have both machines for easily under $1000 and have a plethora of options. Razz really stands out as well for percussion, it has a very clear sound which I love for resampling and degrading later.

Oh yeah, it has great effects speaking of that. The effects imo are better than the Tr6s by a little bit, although I like the Rolands as well. What stands out to me is the bitcrusher and distortion are both insanely good. Additionally the snares have multiple Snap Types, and you can adjust the snap velocity and amount. Its a very, very high level of customization that honestly rivals the Analog Rytm in sound design flexibility since it has 2 filters per drum as well.

This really is not an if, or situation for me though with the Roland and Razz. The roland is a keeper and I can easily use both together if I want. The decision may be more about if I really need my Rd9 still with the Roland around and now the Razz.

Once they add more features to the slice machine, which works really well if you want different FX or sounds since it can slice a loop and randomize what slices play I think that will take this thing to another level. I am pretty confident they will since there are quite a few blank boxes on the slice page.

Anyway I need to actually learn this machine more before I give you all a more detailed review, but honestly this thing is fuckin deep. The manual is around 80 pages, truly impressive.

14 Likes

Quick updates on day 2 with this. Did I say it was deep? Wow, it really is something else. It’s engines can make really nice kicks, hats, claps, percussion…yeah it can do a ton.

Sequencing on this machine looks way harder in the demos than it actually is. I have not had many issues with the touchscreen at all. Its such a small little thing, but if you are into making drum sounds and making beats, you can lose hours on this. Also the swing on it is rather excellent. Really nice grooves on this. 57-63% range goes a looong way.

4 Likes

So I got a Lemondrop the other day and took it apart.

The screen and black lens are glued together and both are bonded to the faceplate from the outside.

Just in case you wanted to know what would be involved in re-casing it. Not impossible…

1 Like

I’m quite curious about this as a super-compact groovebox but I don’t own any 1010 gear and I’m quite confused by the tiny design choice. It’s got a deep synth engine but only 2 knobs and it looks like I’d need a cocktail stick to program beats on that screen. I want something I can sit with on the couch and I assume I can use a battery pack with this but I wonder what the advantage would be over e.g. an iPad. I already have an iPad but I never use it because I don’t like using a touchscreen for everything and having no knobby hands-on control. At the point of needing a separate controller and/or sequencer, I start to wonder what the point is.

Having said all that, @BassesAndPads posts above are encouraging! Still, I just don’t understand why it isn’t in a bigger box with more knobs and a screen I can see without my glasses!

2 Likes

It just matters what you want out of a drum machine honestly,. The Razz is a very deep sound design drum machine. For that reason it may be too deep for just quickly making drum beats until you have all the sounds built that you want. That is my personal decision I will have to make.

As for sequencing beats, super easy. The size has not been a huge issue for me personally. The screen is easier to see than something like a M8 since there is less info to read per screen. The shortcuts are very fast and easy and the knobs really make a difference. Turning fake knobs on an ipad is very annoying, but on this it is easy to quickly touch a parameter and a knob will control it.

It’s really a sound designers drum machine more than a pick up and play one like the Roland Tr6s.

2 Likes

I was going to ask if anyone used a stylus of some sort. Is it possible?

Oooookay, so you kinda sold me there. Going to try one at Elevator Sound in Bristol and will likely buy one soon. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, any of the touchscreen styluses made for a capacitive phone screen (so not an Apple Pencil or a Wacom stylus) work fine.

3 Likes

Main thing to know is that while it has presets, it is really about designing your own sounds. Which can be very very deep. For some it may be too much, but for others, it could be hours and hours of fun building kits. Plus if they make a battery pack for these, it will really be a beast.

IMO, no stylus or anything is needed for this little box, but im sure you can use one.

2 Likes

If it could also do melodic stuff like basslines, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don’t have any 1010 stuff. Do they release firmware updates regularly and do some feature request make it in the products?

But you can load a bass sample and play it, if I am not wrong.

I was aiming for pitch automation. But using it as a little multitrack recorder is also an option, I did not think of that. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like