1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

I just got mine so I’m still getting to know it, but I’m not sure you can load more than one clip. And it is stated in the manual that the length/timing has to be handled outside the RM, as it doesn’t offer any trimming features, AFAIK.
Also, while you can record samples (like, one shot), I’m not sure if/how you can record longer files as clips.
Sorry, this is not very helpful :sweat_smile:

Ohw too bad it doesn’t have more sample editing options.
Enjoy your new toy, this is going to be a fun weekend for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Judging from 1010music firmware update history, there are good hopes new features will be added :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s correct. One clip, on the pad on the upper left corner. It can be any length, but if you want to trim and such you will need to do that on another box.

There’s a demo patch — I think it’s Demo3Clip, but I don’t have mine in front of me right now — that shows this.

Note that you arm a clip for playback when the transport is stopped, and then clip playback starts when you hit play. Of course, while the transport is running you can trigger it like any pad.

Hope that helps.

Hope folks like it!

2 Likes

I’m at work and not in front of my RM right now (can’t wait to be home!), and I was wondering if there was any limit to the samples you can record/play on regular pads (i.e. not Clip/Slicer pads).

If there is no real limit (but SD card storage capacity), you could theoretically use the RM as an 8 track stem player? :thinking:

Cocktail stick :joy:
Comedy genius :+1:

1 Like

So I got this and a lemondrop at the same time and have been logging a ton of hours on both. I think with Granular, I don’t mind sitting there designing the sounds because it is so amazing the things that I can come up with. Plus it samples sounds in and you don’t really need to slice them to get to work.

The Razzmataz is insanely deep as I have been saying and so I think many sound designers will love the hell out of this thing, especially once some updates come in. For me, I keep leaning towards simpler FM because I really just want to get a great sound out of the gate. The Razzmataz I think is for someone who thinks the Model Cycles is not deep enough, and they want to tweak a ton of paramters. If you are that person, get this thing - you will love it.

For me I think the Cycles is more my speed. The kicks are already where I want them out of the box and I don’t have to do as much work to tweak them how I want. I also love the chord stabs on it, I think the Razzmataz missed out there. Sure you can load in samples, but the glassy, woody stabs of the Cycles are perfect to be downtuned and bitcrushed in an old sampler - at least to my ears.

So yeah, that’s my thoughts after way too much time spent on these nanos…haha. the Lemondrop for me is a huge win for 1010, and the Razz is a huge win for anyone who wants a super deep FM drum machine.

1010 is making some sweet boxes and most likely in a better economy without chips costing so much, these machines wold probably be like $299 and a total no brainer.

6 Likes

Sounds like this will pair nicely with an OXI One. Hmm…

It does. I did that exact pairing.

1 Like

Awesome. I’m going to get a blofeld for all the synth duty and this should be my complete setup for a bit.

Is it class-compliant for midi? I’ve got half a mind to sequence it with Patterning 2 on an iPad. Can an iPad power and sequence it?

It looks like it doesn’t support usb midi atm.

1 Like

I’ll just be devil’s advocate on this - as have a slight itch on the razz, but so far my lemondrop and fireball I am happy with bringing something new to the party, in a tiny size (being self contained granulator and wavetable) but have my doubts on the razz USP.

How would we compare the razz depth as an FM drum and simple sample slicer to other machines?
Is it really insanely deep compared to the say the Roland 6s or the Digitone/Syntakt?

8 pads seems a little tight to me, purely coming from a common standard 16 pads Battery model. Or even a OP1/f x seconds of sample chain slice model. or PO 33. Clearly it beats other machines on that level but it seems in a sort of middle world of high quality audio but constrained 8 pads with not that much depth … though I could be way off in my limited perception.

Compared to the 6s the Razzmataz is much deeper for drum design. The 6s has more effects but not nearly the depth of drum creation paramters. Also the UI is pretty bad on the TR6s and I need to use the free editor they made for it on my computer. Honestly, the drum design of the Razz is probably too deep for me. It has so many options that I feel like a noob designing drums. That may be a turn off for some folks who just want to fine tune some sounds and get to business. For those folks the Tr6s or Model Cycles, imo are top tier options. The stock sounds on those 2 machines imo are better than the Razz. The appeal of the Razz would be to make your own sounds, at least in my opinion.

As for 8 pads, well the Tr6s only has 6. The analog Rytm can only trigger 8 sounds at once as well.

Sample slicing is real basic. They need to expand that bit, but at least its not too hard to dial in attack and decay so you won’t have phasing when layering. I think that is where this machine can get really good as you can take samples from say a tr6S and layer them with FM sounds which is pretty cool.

The sequencer is good but not as advanced as a Cycles. It has really nice groove to it with a little swing though. I have no issues tapping out beats on the little pads, which was a nice surprise.

Compared to the Lemondrop (my favorite 1010 nano) the Razz is deeper, with a much deeper menu structure. And that is saying a lot since you can spend hours with one sample in the lemondrop if you want. But everything is pretty much right there, and you will find yourself navigating to a lot more places on the Razzmataz. It’s not a bad thing though because the muscle memory clicks in rather quickly. If you already have 2 nanos you will zip around on the Razz, but it has so many different menus that they have an option to hold Home and it will bring up a screen with every area on a pad so you can quickly tap one and “teleport” to it.

1 Like

Thanks B&P … I’ve taken a read through the manual.

There is a lot to understand. At its core there are the FM OSC parameters, which are shortcuts rather than a full FM synth. Marry that with WAVs. It has a lot of potential.

I can now better appreciate your take on this!

1 Like

I have it and want to like it more than I do so far. I have the other 2 nanos too.

It sounds incredible, but I really really think the form factor hurts it. Big fan of 1010 and I’m gonna give this more time, but for now I just wish it were a bigger box.

I keep on thinking of the Razzmatazz because I like the idea of such a deep drum synth engine in a compact package I can tinker with on the couch while watching TV, but it is spendy and there aren’t enough demos and positive reviews yet.

1 Like

I will never understand this miniature trend. There’s a good reason that laptops below 13" became obsolete, all of these devices work best sat on a desk, and if your desks short of a couple of inches for a Nanobox then that’s what the dining tables for.

I got it recently and am still in the process of getting acquainted with it, which is, IMO, going to take some time (although I’m not a total noob in sound design).

Understanding how the filters interact (parallel, serial, per osc) together and with the envelopes and LFO, requires some experimentation, I’d say. Just tiny increment tweaks can have a radical impact (welcome to the FM world!)

Add the 3 layered FX structure (send, per pad and global) to this and you’ll get an idea of how deep it is, and how wide is the range of sounds you can coax out of it

So, yes, it’s pretty deep in that sense.

On the other hand, the sound generating features are quite basic (2 basic FM oscillators and one sample), but I’d say these are the right features. In that respect it reminds me a bit of the MicroTonic, for example: taking time to get really comfortable with the few available parameters can get you a long way.

Also, the form factor is important for me - but that’s just me, maybe. I was after a very small drum machine to add to my current setup (Norand Mono and Twisted Electrons BlastBeats into the 1010music BlueBox). I couldn’t dream of anything much smaller than this Nanobox, especially considering its feature set. Besides, although I own instruments like the OP-1, I never felt like carrying them around with me, whereas the Razz is a piece I have no issue putting in my bag and taking out while on the subway (with a small battery pack).

I’m really into sound design, though, and, like @BassesAndPads stated, this instrument really lends itself to this purpose.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

Regarding concerns about the price/form factor ratio - which is something I understand: why pay so much for such a tiny thing - if you close your eyes and just consider the feature set, the price is not so insane any more.