1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

Its perfect in my hand on my couch while chilling and watching TV. I have it plugged into a power bank. I have been using a lot of gear this way, even finishing tracks on my laptop.
No real need for a desk all the time, hence the miniature trend.

just thinking out loud.

trying to build a minimal setup here. using an OXI one, could I load up a multitrack sequencer to do, say, 6 drum sounds, then do two mono tracks for melodic sample playing on the remaining 2 pads? can you even play the samples melodically?

then use like a Fireball or Lemondrop on the remaining OXI sequencer.

The most logical thing for me to do is just get a Blofeld for everything melodic. but the idea of keeping the footprint ultra small is exciting.

/edit/ ah okay it doesn’t look like you can adjust pitch via midi, got it.

currently you can’t play any pads melodically. All the pads respond on the same MIDI channel to different notes. (C2 and up IIRC)

Not being able to play pads chromatically was initially my main gripe since I was hoping for something of a mini Nord Drum 2, but I have gotten over it. Now my main gripe is the lack of autosave since the screen it tiny, I have fat fingered a patch change a few times and lost work :frowning:

It sounds phenomenal and has a great groove. I wish each pad could have its own midi channel so I could sequence it from the deluge or digi box or t1. Right now it doesn’t have anything like probability, direction, that kind of thing. Hopefully with updates!

1 Like

It’s interesting because obviously a big comfy couch is more comfortable than most desk chairs, ironically, normal sized synths and drum machines are more comfortable to me than miniature ones.

Anyway, this thing sounds amazing I just wish it was the same size as the blackbox.

2 Likes

Got my own version of this a few days ago. It´s a great machine; 2 *FM plus sampling, and lots of features. Very thought/out idea!
Unfortunately, it will probably leave my hands. I have enough drum machines, If If it had something very special, then maybe. But now it lacks some basic features / separate outs, or audio via USB, this would probably hve tipped the scale for me.
But now i have a rytm mk2, md mk2, and a separate eurorack drum machine which covers most of the needs i have, and more.
Too bad really, i like the pin&red/ish little bastard. >(

Does it sound better than the MD MKII to you?

wait wut… how do you trigger pads from a midi controller then? is it just one midi channel and the pads are on notes C-G or something?

Two different machines, lots of years between. The lack of outputs is really bad and kills the machine for me. Md can do so much more, even if its old.

From the demos I heard, the Razzmatazz seemed to have a punchier sound I really dig. I ended up impulsively ordering one.

If i didnt have what i do, i may have got it, but not with rytm 2, md2 and a modular drummer
Still, all those sounds crammed in one stereo out… No no no… Fx are needed

RIP Guru

2 Likes

I’m sure he’s mellowed out and just loungin’ with Nujabes right now. <3

1 Like

I own both.

In my humble opinion, nothing sounds better than the MD :slight_smile:

This being said, you cannot really compare this workhorse of a drum machine with the tiny Razzmatazz - that you can literally carry around in your pocket.

The latter sounds just, well, different. More “modern” maybe?
(if that means anything). You can really go into details with the filtering options and effects.

Considering its size and price, it’s really outstanding. Some might say it’s expensive, but - like Nick Batt pointed out in a quick review - its size almost does it disservice because it can be mistaken for a toy, when it actually features an impressive amount of features found on bigger machines.

Or the bubble gum, pocket candy colours.

1 Like

I am a huge fan of my po32 with microtonic vst. Is the razzmatazz in the same soundpalette?
There isn’t much buzz on YouTube yet.

It’s deeper than PO32 and Microtonic VST, though I like that combo as well. I always felt PO32 was under the radar for how much you could do with it. The Razz can implement samples and has fx, per pad and global fx. PO32 can’t touch that. Not having to fiddle with a plugin and send over your settings plus the fact that you get unlimited presets with Razz separates them even further. No need to load a DAW and plugin and only get one set of sounds loaded. Grab a battery, get cozy on the couch and build 100 kits on a Razz!

2 Likes

Thank you, this is the push I needed :slight_smile:
The razz is going on the Christmas list.

1 Like

The PO-32 is brilliant, especially the punch-in effects (or whatever they are called), that are quite unparalleled, surprisingly - or maybe the OP-Z has something similar?

I concur in saying the Razz is deeper, though, and it also has its very specific sound - which is important to me. Contrary to what its size and color suggest, it’s not a gadget but a fully fledged drum machine, with a pristine output.

The weak point might be the sequencer, but it has an interesting approach and does its job.

(Besides, I’m starting to realize that, as far I’m concerned, the bells and whistles of nowadays sequencer features might be more distracting than helpful.)

2 Likes

I for one love all the extra stuff I can do with Elektron sequencers. But I also love the simplicity of basic sequencers and how my mind works around them, modulating the sounds more to get variation vs applying that per step. The Razz Super Stepper is indeed unique and fun/fast to use. It has per step velocity and that isn’t locked to the envelopes. It can be used to do per-step tweaks to the sound when used as a modulation source.

2 Likes