1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

The stand from Synthplex comes from a fella on the 1010music Forum. You can find him over there under @JohnPark. I have one of these myself, they’re great!

EDIT:
Regarding the battery and cable, see video below.

1 Like

So what’s the verdict on the “clips” function? Does it timestretch pretty well?
Drum loops are always at risk of having their transients effed up if the timestretch algorithm isn’t designed to preserve them.

Folks like Pioneer DJ, Ableton, NI etc obviously put a sh#^$ ton of R&D into making sure that playing percussive audio files at speeds other than the original still sound clean.

I’m sure many of us are curious how the Razz performs.

It’s lifted from the Bitbox and Blackbox. As with most warping, within a reasonable amount of tempo change, it sounds great. Faster is always better than slower. I’ve got a few Razz videos in the piepline as well, I’ll be sure to include a Clip.

2 Likes

Great to know! Thank you for that and for your upcoming videos = )

1 Like

As promised…

7 Likes

How are people finding the resonators on this thing? I didn’t find out Razzmatazz had them until today, but info - especially examples - seem to be scarce.

Based on what I can glean from the manual, it seems they are available per track, rather than a single send effect like on Volca Drum?

This thing looks and sounds fantastic based on what I’ve heard so far (and digging the Lemondrop), so I may just pick one up to try myself. But I’m curious if others are using it for some physical modeling-esque sounds similar to Volca Drum.

It really does sound fantastic. I couldn’t get on with the workflow and size but it sounds amazing.

3 Likes

I’m still using it heavily and loving it.

The lack of fancy sequencer features forces me to focus on sound design (esp. filtering and layering).

The resonator is per-pad, yes. It can get pretty wild, creating feedback loops with extreme settings and all. It does add character to a sound. My problem with it is tuning: the resonator can introduce a pitch which I find hard to tune due to the interaction between the various parameters.

2 Likes

Hi there

It feels like nobody likes it but if there is anybody here still using “the razz” (I really don’t get on with that name), I just wanted to share a nice little way to play with it:

Using the ModWheel as a modulation source for many parameters, and assigning CC#1 (i.e. the ModWheel) to a knob on an external controller - or just using the ModWheel itself - takes you a long way towards morphing between 2 kits (à la LXR-02):

You can set the knob to minimum and configure your kit, and then turn it to maximum and just increase the percentage of ModWheel modulation for each parameter you want to “morph”. Once everything is set at the extremes, you can reach interesting results in between by gradually turning this “super-knob”
(I personally record the knob movements with my Bastl MIDI Looper for a crazy modulation orgy)

I don’t know, maybe that’s only new to me, though :sweat_smile:

PS: Pity there is just one CC available for this. MIDI-learning other CC’s will only enable you to change one parameter at a time (the so-called macros). ModWheel can change all the “modulatable” parameters at the same time.

2 Likes

I think it’s more that many don’t like the price. Should have been in the entry level+ price range.

2 Likes

It’s a bit pricey, sure. But considering all it packs, it’s not outstandingly overpriced. Its external appearance is misleading.

1 Like

guys i tried to control the razz from my digitakt yesterday and i failed. start/stop was working but i couldnt trigger the razz pads with chromatic keyboard on the digitakt. this is probably more of a digitakt question but mb someone can help me. i set the root note on the digitakt to the trigger note of the first pad but nothing. what am i missing? it worked when i had my MPC connected and was sending note data.

and about the device itself, i dont think its overpriced, when a digitakt is 900€ now, maybe when it was 600€. you get a lot of sound design and decent hardware. i think the only real downside is its size, which i don’t experience as ergonomic in any sense. but if you like the size i think its a very powerful piece of kit. like, if the razz was a 250€ vst, i think it would be insanely popular, its just very nicely laid out and has some nice and fitting fx.

2 Likes

I would love to see the razz as a little Groovebox, I still hope it will have some form of pitch automation in the future, I would buy it immediately.
For now I play around with the Microtonic vst and PO32 for the hardware side.

1 Like

I’m in with you about the PO-32! Such a great machine!
Same as the Razz, it’s not overly feature-rich, but you get what you really need. I’m more and more in favor of well-designed interfaces VS wealth of options.

Re pitch automation, you can somehow control pitch modulation on an FM pad using velocity (which can be set per step)… OK, that’s a bit circumvoluted but it somehow work.

1 Like

Maybe try one octave higher or lower? I’m not sure how C2 on the Razz relate to C2 on another machine :sweat_smile:

About the size, it’s actually one of its strength for me. While you can theoretically take an OP-1 everywhere with you, I’ve never felt like doing it in practice.

The Razz on the other hand I easily carry around in my pocket, along with a small sized power bank, and use it on the subway or whenever I have 5 minutes to kill. You don’t need a table to use it. Were it just twice the size, this wouldn’t work for me.

(I just pre-ordered a M8 for the same reasons)

1 Like

Actually the M8 is an interesting comparator to the razz - FM synth capabilities, sequencing capabilities, sampling capabilities, FX/distortion capabilities - and on all 4 fronts the M8 is pretty compelling.

Distinguishing feature on the razz might be its sequencer interface, but M8 is still pretty good, if more excel like…

1 Like

Indeed!

I don’t think I will give up on the Razz once I get the M8, though.

The big + of this Nanobox, in my opinion, lies in sound design, and how it literally invites you to layer sound sources: at all time you have 3 at hand (2 oscillators and 1 sample). This and 2 filters that can be modulated in various ways. With these readily available features, you can achieve very fine and complex nuances for each of the 8 available pads.

But on all other aspects, the M8 is probably superior.

I aim to use both in combination for an ultra-portable live setup.

2 Likes

I also think the Razz would be good audio-food for the M8.

1 Like