1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

1010 don’t do mono. That’s Elektron’s thing.

2 Likes

Imagine it did multisamples and round robin.

Okay then I may be sold… Bravo 1010 Music for providing a stereo sampler with synthesis!

4 Likes

This sound pretty cool but experience tells me that small devices, few controls and touchscreens don’t realy work for me. Maybe they’ll make a macrobox version at some point? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Not dissing any particular synthfluencer but there have been lots of videos recently where they have guessed at functionality / clearly haven’t read the manual or just plainly didn’t understand what it did. It’s a waste of everybody’s time. I wouldn’t dream of making a video explaining a bit of kit without actually understanding what it does. I appreciate many don’t have the depth of knowledge of say Ben divkid but still if thats what you have chosen to do, do it properly with some background research and care.

6 Likes

Nice new box, which will fit some people very well.
I have other gear that fills the space though.

Would still be v. interested in a multi sample rompler type thing (like a kickstarter pipes intended to be) to carry kontakt or samplerobot vst libraries in a tiny box.
So long as it can take a massive SD card …

Question is how much is exposed through midi CC for me because it seems fun the first hour and will get borrowing real quick I am afraid.

1 Like
  • MIDI support: Note On/Off, Velocity, Pressure, Mod Wheel, Aftertouch, assignable CCs, program changes and clock

From the manual, p83:

CONTROL RAZZMATAZZ SETTINGS USING MIDI CCS
You can teach razzmatazz to respond to MIDI Control Change (CC) signals to set
values for:
• Pad Macro Controls - one MIDI CC per pad per Macro Control
• MIXER Settings - Volume and Pan per pad
• FX Sends - FX1 and FX2 sends for each pad
Map MIDI CC Numbers to Razzmatazz Settings with MIDI Learn
Each MIDI CC can be used to control one setting on
razzmatazz. Each time you learn the same CC, the
newest mapping will replace any previous mappings.
You can also only learn one CC per razzmatazz setting.
The Macro Control mappings are learned specifically for
the currently selected pad.

4 Likes

The manual starts the midi section with this:

The nanobox | razzmatazz is designed to work on its own, but when paired with a MIDI controller you can get more immediate access to the following features:

• MIDItriggeredpadswithvelocityandpressure
• ChangingpresetswithMIDIprogramchanges
• MIDImodulationofparametersaccessedthroughthePadDashboard

• velocity
• Pressure
• ModWheel

• MIDICCcontroloftheMacroControls • MIDICCcontroloftheMixersettings • MIDICCcontroloftheFXSends

And goes more into detail Page 81 ff.

2 Likes

Snap! Posted at the same time there!

1 Like

One could think, that it is not that hard to finde the manual :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thread title was updated.

Edit: shortened it :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Indeed … it’s even linked in the “popular links” section on the 1st post :slight_smile: (User Guide and Quick Start)

1 Like

This reminds me of the format that Stimming has popularised recently in the synth world with his ‘First 15 minutes’ videos - it’s giving you a fly-on-the-wall first impression of a piece of gear with the vague thrill of not knowing everything about it - with an attitude of exploring it together, audience and creator.

It’s an extension of the unboxing video - a shared experience more than an educational resource.

At least that’s my take.

The issue with Bo’s video is that it’s sort of a weird hybrid so I don’t think it lands that well.

4 Likes

I think if its specifically pitched as that then thats fine, the ones I have seen have guessed at functionality and got it wrong. Which is just sloppy imo

Also, Stimming is a very talented musician who wrote, produced and performed long before he did anything watchable on YouTube.

Most synthfluencers come from another place - they’re not great as producers but they love talking about music and gear, and they do it well enough to attract a crowd. But when just the music making is put on the spot, they stumble.

So Stimming isn’t perhaps the odd one out, there are more like him, but most of them don’t do videos. They’re busy doing music and probably wouldn’t be a good watch on YouTube even if they tried.

8 Likes

Maybe zuckerberg can come out with a way to virtually demo gear and we can retire the “watch me play an instrument I don’t know how to play” videos

No one is watching Bob Eats because of high end music-producer content. I am quite sure, people watch him, because he is exactly what you criticize: he is a average dude, who is playing around with electronic music gear and happened to be successful filming it. Over 90% of the people out there watching gear videos (and buy gear) are way more like bo, than like stimming. I am sure, that a very high percentage of bought gear will never be heard on any music release, not because it sucks, but because the buyer does not release music. Maybe they dont even finish songs with them. And this is totally fine! Its like watching a hobby chef cooking and blaming him for not being a professional chef.
I don’t know where this expectation comes from, that someone who makes his living with YouTube videos about music gear has to be an awesome musician. If he would be, people would want him to make music and not read off the marketing sheet.

Btw: I dont think that people look Stimmings Videos, because he might do awesome music (cannot judge, its totally not my style), but because his personality is special, and it is fun to watch him feel what he is doing, even if he does not know everything about the device.

15 Likes

I do like your take and agree with it. I guess synthfluencers are relatable in that they are everyday people.

On the other hand I think we can all agree we would rather learn from someone who is an expert in a given field than an amateur. So perhaps how well they know the device and how much ability they have to coax good sounds/compositions is important.

But perhaps there are different synthfluencers: those who provide quick reviews of new gear, and those who go deeper on specific devices? I don’t watch many synthfluencers, so not sure.

If you look at YouTube numbers, I would not agree with “people would rather learn”. There are tons of people out there, making extremely informative videos. Their videos are not watched nearly as much, as those “every day Joe”-videos.
I think of most of the Gear-Videos like those POS-TVs in hardware stores, back in the day. You could see someone showing off the newest product and advertising it. Or like those fancy catalogs companies released back in the day.
Only difference is, that YouTubers not always hype every product. That this might be an issue with their income shows the videos of RMR after his Volca FM2 video.

1 Like