1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

Has anyone tried swapping the firmware on their Nanobox?

Since 1010Music have said this won’t work, anyone trying this out is taking a risk with a not particularly cheap box. It might get bricked (one would hope not but :man_shrugging: ), it might break the warranty terms …

1 Like

I see, thanks.

If the same box could run the drum, wavetable or granular synth by swapping ROM on SD card (that how Bitbox works) then I would buy one. If people want all 3 at the same time they buy 3 boxes, I am not sire 1010 would loose from this, probably shift a lot more boxes if it was a ‘platform’ for the creative apps.

2 Likes

I agree, considering the hardware appears to be identical, superficially.

In the case of the Blue & Blackboxes, the hardware is actually different.

1 Like

At one-point Bitbox, FXbox and Synthbox were 3 separate hardware products using the same basic hardware… then they made it you could run all 3 O/S on any device (you have to manually reboot with a different SD card in, no switching)

I bought one for my eurorack when they did this!

1 Like

Maybe that will happen once the Nanoboxes become a legacy product.

Maybe, or sooner if the nanoboxes aren’t selling as they are…but they keep making them so who knows!

I agree this box is confusing. It’s not priced for beginners. The Roland t-8 feels much better priced for that. It costs more than an iPad yet both are touchscreen. It’s nice that it’s small but carrying an extra battery pack feels sad. It’s stereo so it beats PO’s and obviously the op1f is a different league.

The tr6s does stereo samples, has its own battery, and costs the same. But I get all the Roland samples to boot. And more effects. I guess the razz lets me sample in stereo on the go so it has that going?

Am I missing something?

1 Like

Yeah :slight_smile: the point.

But someone will get back to you on that.

3 Likes

Sorry I should have thrown in a synthfluencer bash to stay on topic :wink:

2 Likes

Haha :smiley: now that was quite on point :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Has Guru filed a lawsuit yet? :wink:

for I, am the lightsaber :flashlight:

5 Likes

this would be perfect if it had tracker-style sequencer… like imagine if all three were.

whats inside an RPi?

Man everything these guys make someone has to say there is an ipad app that sounds better. It’s exhausting to read plus I want to hear this thing in person before assuming that. I think it has potential to sound beastly or I wouldn’t have bought one. I have good music apps on my iphone but they go unused.

5 Likes

Here’s some more Razzmatazz using Noise Engineering samples and a loc.gov pale blue dot recording resampled through a minidisc usb D/A converter reduced down a bunch.

13 Likes

I think the point of this box is to appeal to people looking for a unique percussive/drum synth and not specifically a go to TR style drum machine. The 6s for example is a great portable drum machine with some add on extra synth parameters/workflow and the UI reflects that. This machine seems much more focused on sound design which people may or may not want.

4 Likes

With a thousand different apps available, that’s just going to be mathematically true. For the 1010music products, you pay a small premium for the form factor. Either that’s worth it for people or not.

I’m a BlackBox and BlueBox owner, the form factor is worth it to me. But these little guys don’t appeal enough or are redundant to what I already have. Drum samples and drum synthesis are covered by other gear. I’ve got plenty of ways to granulate sounds. Wavetables galore.

But it’s nice to have options, and it’s good to support smaller companies that produce something other than ‘the norm’.

3 Likes

Ok so you have other gear you like for drums. Some of us were looking for other gear for drums. So I don’t see the point in that statement.

Yes exactly. I’m already have all the Roland machines. I was looking for a new compliment to that.