A gift for a synth lover…

Hi all, hopefully this is the place to ask such a question. Long story short:
Moving with my gf and leaving my best mate who i’ve been living with in different houses for the past 7 years. Its also his birthday next week.

We enjoy the same hobby, i’m more into programming with Elektron and Ableton and he’s a real piano player with a pretty defined musical taste, Genesis, pink floyd, rolling stones etc.

I’m looking to give him a gift of max 150 EUR or so. Something useful or fun. Any ideas? Second hand is fine as well.

Perhaps a Yamaha Reface might be a fun unit as they’re a keys player. Might be a bit over the budget in mind. Portable, Built In Speakers, and on board FX.

Something a bit cheaper would be the Korg Volca range, Meeblip Synths are low cost, or a Pocket Operator. A great Monosynth in my opinion is the Mutable Instruments Shruthi and can be had for around $200.

3 Likes

That’s nice to read. I would say… Second hand Reface CP, Reface DX or Yamaha FB-01

3 Likes

Take him out to dinner and to a music act that is piano focused. Tell him how important he’s been as a friend and that you love him.

Worth more than any piece of gear you could ever buy.

16 Likes

2nded this. Its the most valuable gift for this price range

5 Likes

stylophone has its place in classic rock type stuff, could be fun for them just to have one on the piano.

2 Likes

Take him to a Nils Frahm concert.

Yes: invite him to a Nils Frahm concert and drink some good glasses or enjoy the concert being under MDMA*, as I did at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2018 :star_struck:

*I don’t want to glorify drugs. But for some exceptional moments…

6 Likes

What!!! Same idea at the same time, cool!

2 Likes

You’re a man of good taste, obviously!

2 Likes

I saw him the 3 times he came to Montreal.

2 Likes

Man… i can say that it’s… one of the most amazing moments in my life

3 Likes

Thanks all! We’re going to a concert soon for sure, something we do quite often! Dinner is a good idea, i never really go out for dinner with just him as our group is quite close. We’re 26 so there’s still a bunch if stuff he doesn’t have. Might give him a proper set of knives as he like’s to cook, but the reface is a great idea. He sold his DX7 recently!

2 Likes

Knives are a perfect idea/gift too! He’s lucky, you’re a true friend

1 Like

Wow Nils Frahm is insane, also a completely different MDMA vibe i can imagine. We’re used to techno and house :smiley:

Thanks guys!

3 Likes

There’s some nice synth books or biographies by artists he likes.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

If you didn’t see the Toilet Brushes video…

3 Likes

Nice! Didn’t know this one.