A Guide to AUTECHRE

True, they touch on that in the fact mag interview from 2013. I just read it

FOCK YES, itā€™s hard to believe theyre going with a traditional album format. iā€™ve heard that there were supposedly two albums being readied, i wonder if another will pop up later this year/early next.

anyone else think the art looks like AMD Ryzen logo?

Itā€™s half of the onesix logo, so maybe that does mean 2 albums?

It looks a bit like wonky from orbital

interesting theory, iā€™m working off some screenshots of one of their twitch streams where sean claimed there were two being readied.

the album art is the same shape they used for the live stuffā€¦

12 Likes

Just got thru all 8 hours of NTS Sessions finally this weekend, some truly amazing stuff. The rhythm grooves in particular are mindmeltingly good. They keep raising the bar for themselvesā€¦ canā€™t wait for Sign to be released.

3 Likes

NTS is my favorite from this period. It feels like where they truly locked in to where they were going starting with Exai.

2 Likes

no wayyyyyyyy, do we believe this? iā€™m thinking maybe that bit at the end about M4L and NI stuff is a red herring, i was really convinced they were doing most of the synthesis within max. the module stuff does make sense though, itā€™s been theorized from people trying to analyze photos where you can see whats on their screens during performance.

i wonder who this cat is and how heā€™s been allowed to see under the hood.

Thatā€™s the Telefon Tel Aviv dude

3 Likes

interesting, heā€™s a max user right? so then it does make sense they might share what theyre doing

The bit at the end about M4L and NI is the poster talking about his own stuff.

4 Likes

Is the dude in the middle, I guess he saw :wink:

Heā€™s talking about his own music with the NI reference.

I struggle to pick a favourite from any era if Iā€™m honestā€¦ pretty much any of it is up my street - though if Iā€™m honest Incanabula/Amber are more just for nostalgia these days when Iā€™m half cut.

Totally love NTS though and the only downside (same with Elseq) is that itā€™s big time commitment to really enjoy it. Not so well suite for putting on when youā€™ve a spare half hour. I wouldnā€™t want to be so bold to suggest that NTS will be indicative of the sound weā€™ll get this time.

I like to imagine that Joshua is recommending his tailor in this photo and Rob/Sean are politely decliningā€¦

3 Likes

Just enough time for a single track!

1 Like

Old photo. 2015

Those were really special times, digitalisation had given us much more contents and connections but it feels like quality dropped down a bit not only at Warp but generally in electronic musicā€¦ maybe itā€™s just nostalgia but the results that AFX, Autechre and more had with machine incredibly limited (compared to present time devices) was outstandingā€¦

1 Like

Just a heads up for those that arenā€™t on the mailing listā€¦ the new album is going to be streamed tomorrow night (in the UK anyway) at https://autechre.warp.net/

Iā€™ll certainly be getting a wee cuppa, a few biscuits to dunk and putting on the headphones for it.

8 Likes