A Guide to AUTECHRE

If it turns into a full tour then I might start getting excited. A few one-offs and festivals not so much.

What do you mean bootlegging themselves?

At the Barbican you sit in silence and listen with a earnest expression. Autechre has made it to the echelon of ā€˜high artā€™.

2 Likes

Releasing all their gigs as albums.

1 Like

I grew a beard in lockdown and plan to stroke and play with it in a thoughtful manor all the way through :thinking:

2 Likes

I donā€™t have a beard (Iā€™m not sure that I am capable of growing one), but I will thoughtfully nod every now and then. Maybe even a shake of the head and a wry smile to notify I understand how good they are.

That autechre tag is tastttttty

1 Like

I canā€™t explain how to get that beat exactly but where I think Autechre are so inspiring is that they do lots of really interesting subtle variations and generally get a great balance of complex and (seemingly!!) simple. So, although Iā€™m inspired by them I never set out to emulate just one idea because I know Iā€™ll likely fail. And anyway, Autechre might only use that idea onceā€¦ I suppose I try to be inspired by their approach than their specific techniques. In any case, I think youā€™re being way too hard on yourself.

Anyway a case in pointā€¦

Not by me!! I love Oval Moon so much and wanted to do a cover but I knew I would fall short. So I took it in a different direction and combine elements of Oval Moon and elements from Irlite (get 0) to come up with something clearly inspired by but quite different. Obviously not in the same league as either of the originals but I really enjoyed doing it and itā€™s one of my favourite things Iā€™ve done.

1 Like

Zoviet France!

1 Like

I speak for myself, and probably everyone else, but we love all the tracks you post here. You should gather a bunch together in a mixtape or album format no doubt. Itā€™s not an autechre knockoff, but it sounds unique and Autechre inspired (good things) and I think a lot of it is publishable!!!

1 Like
6 Likes

Going with my north london mate and only one of us rides a fixie, so there

Are you a member at Barbican? I looked for tickets but it said tickets only become available tomorrow (for non-members).

Iā€™m not, but my fixie-riding mate is

1 Like

I hope to get a ticket tomorrow.

Event description says they will be playing ā€œin the darkā€. I donā€™t know if this means there will be no lights on in the venue, or they will be playing completely improvised.

1 Like

Prolly both

3 Likes

Overandā€¦. So simple but so effective!

5 Likes

Yeah my wife is a member so I used her membership. There seemed like lots of seats still.

1 Like

You say North London, but you really mean Watford, donā€™t you.

Theyā€™ve been doing most of their gigs in almost total darkenss for years, itā€™s great, especially if youā€™re tripping balls.

4 Likes

I know this feeling. I love how they can create grooves in every possible rhythmical pattern and sometimes change it within a track. This one is a straight 6/4 track.

Everytime I try to copy any idea of them I get frustrated soon. Best results were always achieved when I did not think about anything at all and simply let a groove grow in complexity. Sometimes in 4/4 beat, sometimes something different.