A Guide to AUTECHRE

Actually, I think you Ae-people will like >>this<<

No, it’s not me :slight_smile: but a friend of mine who I have nagged for about a decade to release something. The Ae heritage is quite present, I think.

3 Likes

You did well

1 Like

For anyone in/near Turin in Italy, there is an Autechre gig in November, I might be up to go there

1 Like
6 Likes

Welcome the new generation of heads.

https://www.tiktok.com/@ironyisadeadscene/video/7043981823378017583?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7080820811188405765

2 Likes

The drum sounds in this track, that they also used for Anvil Vapre, are among my favorites. I always wondered if they were reworked presets from one of their samplers or if these were things they synthesized themselves. I love how they hit hard.

1 Like

Yes. They did a lot of this in the 90s. Check out the bass on this and then listen to the last track of Anvil Vapre:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Long thread.

I know it kind of goes against the point of Autechre in many ways, but…Wondering if anyone has put together any sample packs of earlier Autechre type sounds? Specifically “Incunabula” through “Tri Repetae” type of sounds?

I’m plugging away at it myself. Slowly but surely. But wondering if I’m in the minority with my over glamorizing of their aesthetic from this era?

Pretty much all I’ve listened to for the last 3 years or so.

No, but it should be an easier era to target because everything was hardware up to that point afaik – they went more digital from chiastic slide onwards. So definitely a 606, SK-1 and a QuadraVerb as starting points for their sound. This article and its links to various interviews might help you in your search:

5 Likes

Nord Lead and SH101 everywhere in that era

1 Like

Autechre live in Athens 5 July

2 Likes

Nice! Been a while! Is there any chance they are coming to thessaloniki aswell? Have you heard anything?

It’s already a chance to have them so close

2 Likes

I don’t know man! Why don’t you come in Athens? With Aegean there are flights at 34€ round trip.
Can you believe it? They will play at Odeon of Herodes Atticus - Wikipedia

1 Like

Early work is Juno , nord , r8 with electronic card , 101,202 etc …quadraverb, lots of presets.
Fire up a 106 vst and dial through the stock sounds and you’ll hear a lot of early tracks.

I didn’t look at the article so I’m probably just repeating it.

3 Likes

I really hope so! :slight_smile:

Yeah that could be an option some flights really are cheap! dont know if i can make it work wise though…

based on their last tour i’d assume the audio will be released at some point.
go somewhere for a holiday and separately download the audio off bleep and sit in a black room with nice speakers.