A Guide to AUTECHRE

Yeah, that’s what he said he still uses. Claiming the amount of layers of control one had access to makes it stand out.

I just want to know if they’re using top-of-the-line Antelope, Orion - separate clock, ad/da - or something more mid-line. Because their records sound absolute superb.

Wow. That bass/synth sound in Clipper is still :fire:

4 Likes

My guess is the records never leave the computer, all the way through mastering, so the interface wouldn’t really matter?

4 Likes

Ah, ok!
I’m blissfully unaware of that kind of things :slight_smile:

Good point. But they do have to listen to what they do, and the live concerts require it.

It doesn’t make a bit of difference to the quality of the music; just a nerd curiosity.

1 Like

Ah…for me it begins with Incunabula and a Lego Feet. I got Incunabula when it came out and it changed my listening trajectory for good. It may seem tame now, but against what it came out against back in the day…it stood so far out, it blew my mind.

Special place in my listening heart.

5 Likes

I was 11 when that one dropped so probably still listening to some utter dross on the radio.

1 Like

I was with you re Tri back in 98-2000ish. It’s all I could listen to. But that one seems pretty “standard” as far as their stuff goes. I mean I was so stuck on Eutow, it was ridiculous.

The album is SUPER good, but for me, the shine of that one wore off. its average in the grand scheme. But definitely huge. prefer any of the live versions they did of tracks off that album. Maybe I just don’t put it one so much cuz I played it so much that the vinyl almost cut thru and the cd has almost been vaporized by the laser. :grimacing:

….but yes, massive record.

1 Like

Back in 2003 I bought Amber, Tri Repetae and Supermodified by Amon Tobin which basically redefined my view of music and what I’d be listening to from that point onwards. All such great records.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: Same here… An insurer should seriously look into this.

1 Like

Rob made a totally genius level track on an mpc1000?! Makes you think what we really need of gear!

2 Likes

So in the late 90s, a few of us drove almost 200 miles to London after work on a Friday night from the north of Manchester to an AE gig. Absolutely hammered it to get there and spent the rest of the night driving around London looking for the venue, only to realise around 1am that we had read the flyer wrong, and they were playing back up north :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I wonder wtf kinda contract they signed with WARP that to this day prevents them for doing werk outside of Autechre [and Gescom which was penned into the contract]

DAMN….locked in forever :neutral_face:

Pretty powerful stuff, that MPC1000 with JJOS.

1 Like

Which track was that?

Plyphon

3 Likes
1 Like

I’ll never forget that bit at 45 minutes when the space organ sound blasts in.

When they did that in Manchester it was so massive I nearly jumped out of my clothes.

3 Likes

Just watched the Q&A in bed last night but it was so damn long I think I snoozed off in some parts.

Lots of info on MAX but did he say if he then funnels the results into a DAW

Also any mention of his audio interface? Lots of mention about his M1 Mac performance but didn’t catch the interface

Why so many ppl wonder what interface they use? Like it makes much of a difference in 2022

6 Likes