A Guide to AUTECHRE

Coil :+1:t6:

I think this sounds sick. I like the beat. It would be nice to be able to write shit in max so I could sell my gear. I think it would be a lot of fun.

1 Like

yeah. their sound design is tops. really amazing. they don’t stand still and whatever they use they just wail on it. those AMAs sean did are revealing of all kinds of ‘track notes’ about what’s max and what’s hardware and what tracks rob did etc. interesting stuff for ae fans. kind of amazing that rob did YJY UX in sunvox.

anyway… i don’t have any trouble ‘humming’ autechre tunes from any era :wink: . been listening since the beginning. it’s all gold to me.

11 Likes

Their 5:35 Livestream Dec 30 celebrating the 30th anniversary of Warp’s (Artificial Intelligence), available as a stream instead of a download as above.

4 Likes

It’s basically my record collection :slight_smile:

Love it

2 Likes

Anyone have insight into how the drums are processed in Basscadet? I thought this was a 606 just pitched down but that was not correct. I’m trying to do a cover of it, but maybe i should pick a simpler one from the album.

1 Like

I’d place my bet on a Roland R8

3 Likes

Could have been, though I’m not sure they had one at the time.

I think all they had at the time was a Casio SK-1, a sampler and whatever they could get their hands on at friends’ studios, but I’m sure Sean said that they first encountered the R8 in a mate’s studio, so they might have used that for the album before buying their own later.

Either way, it’s probably a mix of samples, maybe even a bit of SK-1 and possible R8.

1 Like

Thanks guys! Yeah, that might be a tough one. I’m thinking I might try Bike instead haha.

I need to get it on it and listen to those AMAs.

You’re covering Bike? Nice.

Going to try at least!

Makes you think what we really need of tools!

this is my fav track on Exai and here he touches the stars! https://youtu.be/H6pqLWtfv_g?t=275

transcendental!

1 Like

They had SH101, MC202, Juno 106, the Casio a couple, Yamaha DX100, 808 and 606 I believe.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

Got one of the AMA’s on (I like going to sleep listening to them) and Sean’s said he was using an R8 on the warp tapes stuff, so its pretty likely they used one on Basscadet.

God we’re fucking nerds.

4 Likes

they borrowed some stuff for different tracks in the early days. sean talks about it in the AMAs. also som stuff was in their friend’s studio.

How many AMAs were there? I ripped the audio from two I could find on YT and am planning to listen on walks.

Yep

Random mention of song mode…

8 Likes

how awesome would it have been to be at that little show :open_mouth:

2 Likes

here you man…straight from the source…
list of the Incunabula kit

other interesting stuff…

8 Likes