A4: repeats / retrig / ratcheting

the OP-Z as a sequencer for the A4 is above the Elektron “standard” and does all kinds of ratcheting, flams and rolls :relaxed:

I think so, yes.

1 Like

Model Cycles can do midi retrigs.

2 Likes

Cool! I briefly thought about the Models, even briefly checked the manual, but didn´t find anything about it. What about the Model:Samples?

Edit, seems it´s not mentioned in the manual…

@Neoris If retrigs are so important, why not get a small sequencer or something like an Elektron Model to go with the A4? It wouldn´t overly complicate things. A4 has external inputs, you could even send the M:S or M:C through a track on the A4 or just mix with the main out and still have access to send effects for it.

The A4 Mk2 has two control/cv inputs. I thought about a way of getting retrigs over cv, but I don´t think there is one. A4 could even control itself from the cv track this way (cv out into control in).
I have an Analog Keys, no control inputs there, so I can´t check, but afaik the control inputs have the same modulation options as a regular performance macro, so I don´t think there´s a way to do it. Maybe sending gate bursts to open the filter…

Don’t know about the Model Samples (I don’t have or used one), but M:C does.
But nothing fancy, only note value, note length, velocity and retrigs can be sent.
If you need other modulation options, look for a real midi sequencer like for example Squarp Pyramid or Hapax.

1 Like

In my opinion, it’s not ideal for this. It’s bulky and power-hungry. It has audio ins but doesn’t sample; it has 10ch audio out (the individual outs being stereo), and CV/gate i/o inviting integration with other gear. It’s much closer to an analog tool kit than it is a portable groovebox.

It’s not bad for your use case. I love using mine on the train, for example. But I’d say it was far from ideal. I find myself wishing for something smaller and lighter most trips.

I was looking into this same thing, came to the same conclusions … and also don’t have an mkii.

The Oberheim Matrix-6 and 6R can reset their envelopes when receiving a trigger signal input through a pedal jack (its exp/sustain pedal jacks are essentially CV/gate inputs). I too was scouring the A4 manual, for “how could an external signal reset the envelope of a note that’s already playing…” but it doesn’t seem possible.

I’ve read many of the other threads about this also, and see people talking about looping envelopes (or lack thereof) so I guess this is a common research topic.

If talking a bit far from the topic: if Jean-Marcel (Manfred Fricke’s son) could go now by the father’s route, I believe he could create more lightweight and still analog groovebox. As MFB Synth Pro has almost everything for this.
In reality I don’t know any other analog groovebox of this level (in terms of weight and features).
BTW, I don’t need samples to do my sketches. Adding samples when everything else is practically ready will be the easiest part.

1 Like