Ableton Note

They said the added support for Arturia Microlab 3 :kissing:

@Mistercharlie curious if your OP1 Field shows up as an audio source in the Sampler Record view in the iPad. If so … super wow :grimacing:

Yeah, I’m not seeing at as a negative. I like the idea of Ableton not coming into iOS and rendering loads of great apps redundant.

1 Like

Seems like a nice idea, interested to see where it goes. If it could send MIDI out this would be a really nice lightweight way to use the fantastic Ableton sequencer with a hardware set up without needing a whole laptop in the mix.

3 Likes

Yeah. I think it’s going to get a lot of us use to the audio clip workflow which is great for our playing chops.

I hope it supports Audio Interfaces via the recorder…cause if it does, wow, it’s going to be awesome to capture synths and external kit on your iPhone/iPad and polish it all on the desktop.

1 Like

I don’t get it, does it really work with external midi controllers?

Since it has Ableton Link out of the gate, just use any sequencer you like and, if it supports audio interfaces, record that into the Sampler.

Boom!

1 Like

100%. The way it allows you to just play without dictating a tempo, then builds the track up from there seems really intuitive and liberating.

3 Likes

Read: ‘We want to make some actual money from this instead of it being pirated to high heaven straight away’ :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Note’s ‘microphone’ input will record either the built in mic (nothing connected) or whichever class compliant usb audio device is connected (I’ve recorded from my DT, connected via the apple usb dongle wotsit). You can’t choose but you can simply plug/unplug the recording device to switch. Would obvs be better to have the choice without having to remove the recording device though.

2 Likes

Weird. Had intense discussions with myself tonight about that I should get somekind of direct audiosketcher since I sit on the bus 3h/day and laptop is bust. This rules!!

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for correcting the record! I’ll give it a try. Using the cloud might be more convenient but I prefer Airdropping stuff.

I think I’ve read of this elsewhere… as a limitation of how iOS handles audio devices. I suspect app developers don’t get a choice over which to use.

1 Like

Having watched a few vids, I’m not sold on it it, I can get everything and more it does done with my existing workflow since I have all my gear hooked up to my Nas drive so the easy file sharing thing is a bit of a moot point for me, maybe if it matures into something irresistible I’ll take a look but for now I’ll be sticking with lk etc for my Ableton iOS fix…

This marketing speak is imploding in on itself.

You ARE the music-making app space, and you are choosing not to develop on Android - ergo…

I just wish companies would be honest - developing for Android is slightly more challenging because it’s a less homogonous environment, it would cost them more. Either they’re keen to invest or they’re not, there’s nothing to ‘pay close attention’ to other than the strategists in your meeting rooms.

1 Like

Depends on the scope they target, but yea it can certainly be more work, I totally agree with you that launching on iPhone as a starting point makes sense - Apple is favoured by a lot of music production folk even outside of mobile and iPad dominates a big chunk of that space.

But if that were the plan they’d have a roadmap for Android, and would likely have started development on it already - otherwise it could be years away. So no amount of watching the scene that doesn’t exist yet will help get that product to market.

Sorry I’m mostly just complaining about marketing departments at this point haha

2 Likes

I have trouble figuring out how this works from the video clips I’ve seen so far … I expected something like the looper pedal paradigm where you hit stop right on the bar and the software works it out from there … but that doesn’t seem to be whats happening here.

Can you point me at a video that explains ?

As a live user, this looks really useful.

It is probably more suited to styles of music such as Hip Hop, and sample based house - I’m unlikely to get very deep into serious techno given the amount of sound design involved.

But it looks really intuitive, with just enough effects options to get a sketch sounding nice and showing it’s promise, as well as sounding nice enough to listen to.

Also, I could easily flip between this and Koala and other apps to get resampling and added effects, and flip back and exchange sounds.

And arranging the scenes is such a simple screen that I’m more likely to sequence. I rarely make use of arranging my scenes in live for some reason, and it looks a nicer method than song building in Koala (although I don’t think this looks a better app than Koala yet).

2 Likes

I’ve only watched the official explainer video that Tom ELPHNT did but it does show it in there:

I’ve no idea how/what it’s doing though

2 Likes