Ableton Note

I’m wondering if I can build drum groups in ableton and share them to the app via ableton cloud. Building packs in ableton that can be accessed in the app would be pretty cool

1 Like

Hard to tell isn’t it. Could be either

• the press of ‘capture midi’ is expected to align, in time, with 4 bars (or X bars), or
  • whatever you’ve got captured, some AI is applied (perhaps looking for repeats) to figure out bars.
1 Like

In earlier beta versions it used the ‘loop at end of take’ method, like a looper. More recently they added Capture that acts pretty much the same as Live’s Capture feature, where you don’t need to stop the loop on-beat.

2 Likes

Currently it only works one-way, from Note>Cloud>Live. You can import samples to Note via Files app etc and build kits there though.

2 Likes

As fan and frequent user of that app I feel inclined to let you know there is Music Memos, by Apple. It tries to detect the scale and chords/notes played and can add some basic backing tracks. It’s free and useful if you need a little extra.

Oh, snap. They have discontinued it. But if you had it installed before you can still get it back. Apple will keep supporting it until iOS 14.

Mobile App Dev here. Android is absolutely terrible at low latency audio. iPhone is rock solid and surprisingly good at it, this is why the majority of “synth apps” are on iPhone.

6 Likes

Plugged in a KeyStep 37, doesn’t respond to MIDI unfortunately (USB-C with iPad Mini 6)

Even my older iPhones (a few 6s ones) that I use for music making only still do just fine! CoreAudio is hard to beat both on mobile and desktop. I hope Ableton Note will support AudioUnits, it seems it doesn’t right now.

Ableton is practicing iOS programming - great, hoping for an export of sets to an iPad in conjunction with a Push :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This looks cool. Glad to see them get into the iOS game. Lots of announcements today: Minifreak, Ableton Note, and I think Strymon are releasing a “Sky” VST. Also, Apple just updated the iPad Pro and iPad models, so this is good timing by Ableton today.

The only issue is, I don’t know if I will have time for all these release videos today!

2 Likes

looks very intuitive.
Just tried it, but had major latency. Might be my new airpods though. Haven’t made music with bluetooth headphones before

I’ve always found Bluetooth headphones unusable for music production with their latency

2 Likes

Also had crazy latency with bluetooth headphones.

Technically it makes sense, but would love to have some kind of delay compensation often. I think most people would want to use this on the go == most people using bluetooth headphones of some kind (especially with iPhone dongle hell)

that would be wires :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Some kind of Ableton Ultralite on iPad for a fiver… Surprised there’s not a bit more excitement tbh

3 Likes

Which ignores the reality of most people “on the go” no longer using wired headphones (thanks to Apples hardware deign decisions) - and them needing to buy both headphones and dongle.

1 Like

Really cool app. Downloaded it without thinking. Seems to fall in line with the other groovebox style apps but less restrictions. Definitely doesn’t feel like a DAW (which, it’s not supposed to) so it provides a quick and easy way to make something before exporting it.

As a side note, it sucks theres no android support but this is a big reason I dropped android altogether, got tired of apps not getting developed for it and devices not working with it. Music production in general is miles ahead on iOS.

1 Like

It looks ok, but the whole point is really just Ableton’s plan to push you back over to Live (or over to purchase it) to properly work on the song. Which is fine, but it’s not game changing or anything to me.

Kinda feels like the reverse. I don’t see people laying out 6 bucks for this unless they already have Live with so many other apps out there. As someone who does (Live Suite), 6 bucks is chump change if it lets my portable jam time get into my DAW quickly.

[ Bought it, but haven’t played with it yet. (I also already have Launchpad, Tracktor DJ, iMachine2, Blocs Wave, Groovebox, … etc) ]

1 Like

It can be the reverse as well for sure. Like I said, it feels like Ableton’s plan to push you back over to Live which is exactly what you are describing.