After months the forum is still very, VERY slow

Hi,

Expecting this to be some early hick-up I never posted this but the Elektronauts forum is still extremely slow. It takes very long for pages to load and to be honest, it being 2014 this is really not needed at all. Perfectly acceptable hosting isn’t expensive at all.

I am a moderator on a dutch synthesizer forum with 20.000+ members. The forum runs on a relatively old server setup but performance is perfectly fine. Seems like either the hosting environment is extremely underpowered or some configuration issue results in a very slow forum…

1 Like

Pretty sure the whole thing wasn’t very well implemented. Also, using the forum sucks on iOS and Android devices.

search function is useless, EU forum was similar but i could always get results using google search including ‘elektron-users’ in the search

the ‘latest posts’ scroll on the side of the homepage sucks. its really hard to use on the mobile touch screen, the button is too small… or my finger is too fat

beer is too expensive

Hmm, surprising to hear. It works ok for me on Firefox / Safari.

Or maybe I am missing something?

I don’t find it slow on safari or iOS. The recent posts is useless on my iphone though.

I find it quite slow on the whole on Chrome.

Works fine for me in Firefox

Fine on Chrome for me, but I use “open in new tab” a lot, instead of going back and forth in one tab…maybe that’s the key? I do that on my iphone as well, works fine…

i can confirm things have slowed down a tiny bit…and this regardless of connection speed, which, for a forum with text on most of the pages, shouldn’t be an issue (anyone ever been on a 2400 or even a 600 baud modem? wellll…that’s a slow connection mate! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
in the past couple of weeks i got ‘connection timed out’ few times and pages won’t load as fast as they used to do.
other sites do open at a normal speed so i guess something on the hosting server is not as smooth as it used to be…anything to do with the kitchens?

edit: for those who want to know more about modems :astonished:

It’s just taken me 20mins to get on. Server timeouts etc… Sequentix & Muffs are flying so it’s not at my end!
iPad/Safari

this site is pretty slow. I work in IT, we have an extremely fast trunk line into our building and this site timed out most of the day today when I went to it.

The forum is quite slow for me also.

Lately the initial page you open is quite slow…chrome just sits there for a few seconds, and then the page opens. But once you have a single page open, you can use tabs to open other pages, and that’s fast…

I don’t find it too unbearably slow, but it’s a pain on iOS. Still annoying as shit that the quote/flag etc buttons don’t work for shit on iOS. Also quite annoying to have to reload the thread list every time you flip back to the forum activity page.

These buttons do work (I’m doing it now). They do have to be tapped twice in order to work.
But I agree with you that the reload of the page when you go back to the previous page is torturously irritating.

I am doing a traceroute on the site and things get bogged down at network solutions hop.

the pings are 70-115ms

compared to a google which is 18-25
and
operator-1 which is 24-50

1 Like

FYI…

Load time of http://www.elektronauts.com/ w. Pingdom Tools: 5.07 s from New York City, New York, USA. Size: 2.3 MB. Rqsts: 60. http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/dn8LK1/http://www.elektronauts.com/

1 Like

The frontpage actually loads in 4.16s if I test the same. Now lets try http://www.elektronauts.com/forums (the subforum overview):
First test: 9.43s
Second test: 18.82s

Third test: 10.89s

To make things clear, this is not from my pc but from a location in NY City.

This is extremely slow for today’s standards!! I am on a 120Mbit line in Holland and my results aren’t better compared to what I posted above. The performance issue is just at the network end, it’s at the server end too.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, there’s a bottleneck somewhere between their PHP and the database. There’s at least a 4 second wait before the page even starts rendering, and it’s likely waiting for PHP to return. Also, none of the static assets (images, etc) are cached on my end. This is pretty bad web engineering for 2014.
(source: I do this for a living).

1 Like

might be to keep the kitchen ware out…