AKAI Force

Can you record the actual performance aspect of jamming with clips?

Thanks

Yes you can, you select to record into the arranger instead of clips, press record and go.
The arranger will record which clip you launch but also if you enter note mode and play a key part, it will be recorded in the arranger.
Itā€™s not bad for a Beta, if only they would finish it and release officiallyā€¦

1 Like

Thank you.

@Automageddon

Were/are you also an MPC Live/X user or did you just go for the Force?

I had a Live before, I think overall the Force was an upgrade to my flow but there was a big difference I struggled with.
When editing a sound in ā€˜sample editā€™ you canā€™t trigger a preview from a pad, but only from the touch screen. A small thing, but very annoying

That does sound slightly irritating.

Iā€™m really struggling to make a decision between an Mpc or Force. I had a Live for a while but never got to use it much. But annoying things like above can significantly change things back to considering an Mpc.

I have an Octatrack & iā€™m happy with that for all the experimental/Weird/Sound Design stuff. I made myself go this route to initiate changes to my workflow & productions. Iā€™m happy with the results.

But i also wanted to switch to a more standard, but updated workflow, hence the Force. My techno creations have always been very melodic, even though iā€™m not a musician/player of any great skill so the Force has really peaked my interest in lots of ways.

I loved all the pad chopping etc on the Mpc, but perhaps it was more fun than a necessity for me. And thatā€™s what iā€™m trying to figure out. I think realistically, to get my music production back on track i should go with the OT/ Force combination.

But lots of things to ponder.

Thanks again.

I see the AKAI Force as the most ā€œAbleton in a boxā€ product available. If thatā€™s what youā€™re looking for, go for it.

If it werenā€™t for my heavy existing investment in Ableton (upgrades + upgrades of Suite + several hundred dollars in M4L/Sampler patches) and the 17 years of experience Iā€™ve put into using it, Iā€™d probably grab a Force myself.
But as great as tactile control is, you get to a point with any software used daily for years where even the mouse and keyboard are faster.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thanks for posting that Video.

It makes me lean more towards the Mpc but my heart still wants to like the Force. Itā€™s a tough one.

1 Like

Hold on, there are rumours of upcoming updates for the Force too, maybe wait a few more weeks and see if Akai announces anything?

Will do.

I donā€™t have the cash available yet anyway. So more research is definitely on the cards.

Cheers!

cā€™mon disk streaming!!

(sorry, dead horse)

1 Like

Iā€™m a few weeks away from possibly buying a Force and Iā€™ve been wondering about ergonomics.

Do you guys have any issues with the size or screen not being angled? Do you find yourself bending your arms around the pads to use the screen.

Thanks!

I think i would if i didnt make a tilted area on my desk for it. But i like some angles on most of my gear, so i either use those cheap Ikea Breda, or make something myself of cheap pine.

Having the force lay flat on the table just seemed weird to me, so I didnā€™t use it much that way. First I used a stand I already owned which worked better. But I found the 3D Waves Force stand on Reverb. Itā€™s fantastic. I like the angle and itā€™s extremely solid. I highly recommend it.

Cheers guys.

Itā€™s screen is viewable/usable from multiple angles, so IMO, itā€™s actually a bit better than say a Monomachine behind a small MIDI keyboard. I havenā€™t found a need to elevate its rear yet. Plus the screen area sits about 3/4" above the pad area, so the pads (or the knobs) donā€™t get in the way. btw, those 8x2 knobs/OLEDs are really handy for sample editing, track editing, etc.

1 Like

Thanks.

Can the Qlinks be set up to control external synths/midi ccā€™s?

Great question. Havenā€™t tested this yet. MIDI interface is coming in the mail today, so will test later and report back.
Page 169 of the manual looks promising.

1 Like

Yes, the Q-links can be set up to control external midi gear. Q-links are awesome. You have several different modes. Like one for track, where you can set up 16 midi CCā€™s for that midi track. If you are on something different than a midi track, a whole other sets of parameters can be chosen. But the coolest for jamming is the project mode. Here you can set up a mix of every thing on the project. So in my template i have a couple of midi CCā€™s set up that controls expression on my mercury 7 and polymoon delay. And i have another effects on the master bus on the force on q-links for highpass filtering and such. Very cool!

3 Likes