AKAI Force

I might be wrong but wouldn’t samples load far quicker if coming off an internal ssd instead of sd card?

I don’t actually know.

But i never installed an SSD drive on my Live. I just used an SDHC card with it & an SDXC card on the ONE.

Never encountered any issues or slow loading.

I don’t create or store huge sample libraries, so no need at this time for an SSD.

2 Likes

I have no problem loading from my ssd quickly

Your path mimics mine almost entirely. I returned mine in December last as it seemed like there were some items lacking. Worked in DAW, groove boxes, etc in the interim. I’ve grown tired of the menu-diving and convoluted key press combos… Was thinking about going the Live/Push2 path, but I recall that I was not that impressed with Push2.

So today I ordered a Force. The immediate and visual workflow, the ability to actually play the pads, the ability to work with Live if I choose, etc all should be a good fit.

How often do you need to load a new project?

I felt the same about the OT fader. Realized that it worked fine. Never thought about it again.

It’s not that i needed to load a new project as such, i just noticed it was very slow in comparison to the Mpc Live & Mpc ONE. It just gave me a moment of concern.

Project loading time became much faster after i updated the OS.

I used to be a Hip Hop/Scratch DJ. I know what feels right in my fingers & the Force CF feels like crap. The OT crossfader feels so much smoother. Not going to worry about it though.

**SDXC Card might not be working correctly. I did load a bunch of sample on there to test it. I can go through folders on the card to find samples, but if i press previous, to go back, the sample will load anyway without me pressing load & i can’t go back to the previous folder.

**EDIT 2. The same thing is happening on a different SDHC Card this time. Hmmmmm…

Ok…so the card/loading issue is maybe user error to a degree.

When browsing folders and samples, instead of pressing the top left corner arrow/file up tab to go back i was pressing ‘Previous’ at the bottom. This cause the current viewed file/sample to be loaded even without pressing the load tab. Does anyone know why this is happening?

What are the previous / next abs for?

Thanks

I don’t use the internal synths, mine is hooked to a Microfreak and NTS 1 (mostly as hands on effects) and I can have the base for a track with a few variations in minutes. It can feel clunky but when you find your way of working it’s unrivalled in the standalone realm.

2 Likes

I reccomend getting an SSD drive for it. Atleast not save too much on the internal drive that contains the presets and samples. I heard it is problematic if the internal drive starts to fill up.

1 Like

I install PNY 120 GB SSD drives for my clients a lot. Haven’t had any issues and their $20 on Amazon. Have one here for my Live but the wife needed one for her lappy.

Edit: thought I added the link before.

Link

What an insane comment for people to make. What happens when you put in a standard DnB beat, does it power down?

What type of mounting hardware is needed?

The Force comes with 4 screws and a covered compartment underneath for it. Pretty easy to install.

1 Like

It’s a standard 2.5 laptop drive. To be clear I’ve never installed one in a force or live. Just a cheap recommendation that I’ve had extremely good luck with in laptops and PCs.

Added link to my original post and here.

Link

1 Like

Really enjoyed playing with the Force tonight.

I’m putting my OT MkII up for sale again. I just can’t get out of the noodle zone with the OT & i only have time & energy for 1 machine.

2 Likes

I totally understand this, which is why the Force works so well for me.

2 Likes

If only the OT could do its thing in a different way.

Edit: lying in bed this morning & realised that a Digitakt would give me enough of that Elektron magic, but with an easier & more convenient setup of tools. It was always in the back of my head that i wasn’t using the OT to it’s full potential. I know that’s a trap though. We don’t have to use all of its function all of the time, but i do think it’s wasted on me.

Here we go again…

Just received a Force today. Build quality in great. Pads and other buttons feel solid. Screen bright and touch very responsive.

Sounds great too. Looking forward to digging in.

5 Likes

Sold mine in January and purchased it again in March, it was a huge mistake selling. In fact, I need to get one or two more before they stop selling them eventually in case there is never a follow up (I don’t anticipate a Force 2). It’s so fast and simple. It’s everything I want in a sequencer for my synth collection. I even record all of my audio into it. I record to audio track and then send the loops to pads in a drum track.

I have my keyboards heading into a merge box into my squarp pyramid, which is solely used for midi effects and scale routing (not a great keyboard player) into the force, then out to a thru box into all the synths. Audio into a tascam model 24, with the sub out routed to the Force inputs.

5 Likes

Installed a 120GB SSD shortly after getting the Force today. Works great. I had to format it. Used exFAT recommended somewhere

I read somewhere that installing to much on the internal drive can lead to slowness. So decided to get off to as good a start as possible. SSD was $20 on Amazon.