AKAI Force

Foam stand

In case anyone is looking for a stand. This fits the Force well. Angle is good, not too steep. Foam is very dense. Two of the foam wedges come in the order. (I’m not affiliated.)

3 Likes

anyone thought about doing any mods to their Force???.. maybe make it so that it folds above the knobs, or turn it into 2 pieces etc…

Great idea.

Awesome! Be sure to backup often, when SSDs die they die. Almost no chance of data retrieval like older HDD.

1 Like

I bought my 2nd force after selling my first one in May. Just really enjoy it more than most anything. Might sell my Deluge because I just turn on the Force much more often.

2 Likes

can anyone who’s also owned the pyramid or knows it well enough to comment on how the two compare for midi sequencing? I love certain things about the pyramid but I don’t love the lack of view on what’s going on within a song / structure and the interface of the pyramid isn’t great either… I don’t use the pyramid midi FX that much either as I mostly have them covered via my midihub but am still looking for something that’s very flexible in what it can do with midi.

what is the lowest the bpm can go on the force?

I had the pyramid before the Force. And the Force can’t do all the fancy stuff with midi, but I finally felt I had the overview I’ve been missing from all my other sequencers. And it made come out of the “one pattern loop”.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I think I’ll probably have to stick with the pyramid for the time being, my main issue with the pyramid is the song mode not being very good but I can work around it in a number of ways… the other issue is of course having to do all the structuring inside your head which can be tough to keep track of but pen and paper can help with that some times.

Glad to the force is working for you though! It’s so nice to break away from the repetition of one pattern loops!

A little of topic, but with such complex song structures, how do you work with the event limit? I tried the Pyramid and sent it back after a week, when I was half done with a 7 minute pay trance track and already used up way over half of the memory. Automating 5 or more midi tracks with at least one CC per track (that was not able to be done with a LFO) messed up the 10k event Limit quite fast.

Just tried it. Dialed it down to 20 BPM.

Highest? I got tired of turning the knob. Got it to 600 BPM. :grinning:

2 Likes

The Deluge is a great groove box. Many unique features.

The Force though brings everything out front for you to see and adjust. Yes, there are still some bugs (it’s tech) and still several things that could be added or improved (i.e…: arranger, slice directly to pad), but the workflow is immediate, visual and it is fully playable. Frankly the Force just sounds great too.

On Stage stand works good. Cue Mix is a little tight next to the right leg but doable.

5 Likes

Can you please show an up close shot of the cue mix dial?

2 Likes

There’s still a little room to slide the unit. All in all very stable rack for the force and angles can be adjusted to your liking.

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

For those who like adding randomness to your pieces, you can do some quasi-random tweaks to track length for individual clips.

Example, create a 2 measure clip with a note playing on each beat. Create a second track and create and identical 2 measure clip with a note playing on each beat. You can create as many tracks like this as you want.

Then select the clip in Track 1 and go into Clip editor. Tap on an option in the “Loop Length” settings and change. Example, tap the 3rd setting and change to “75”. In Track 2, make that setting “50”. In Track 3, make it “25”.

Now when you play the scene, the tracks will gradually become offset, firing theirs notes at differing times.

What’s interesting is that you can make adjustments to each clip in a track. So Scene 1 can all play full 2 bar lengths. Scene 2 can be offset. Scene 3 can be offset in a completely different way.

Not precisely randomness, but this can produce some interesting results.

5 Likes

Its very fun to do this. Polymetric is fun. Another thing you can do to simulate probability when using drum groups is to add either silence, or different samples to the layer. And make it change layer on random. So if you add three silent ones, you get 25% probability. Simple, but effective if you want some change happening. Not as easy as holding a trig, and turning the cond knob on a model:cycles though. hehe.

3 Likes

How well does the force handle polymetry and polyrhythms? I find that the majority of the complexity that comes from my Pyramid isn’t from it’s midi effects but through various tricks with track lengths and using multiple tracks for 1 synth. I’m definitely interested in this thing but am unsure how it is for experimental stuff. I guess I should read the manual.

It took Maschine years to add variable length tracks. Multiple variable length cells inside a track is pretty interesting for experimental music.

I know there’s a tendency to use devices like Force for straight ahead Boombap, etc., but there’s a lot of music genres (and genre-fluid) available.

2 Likes