AKAI Force

Just tested this.

Yes, we can record up to 8 Audio Tracks simultaneously, but of course there are only 2 physical inputs. Those 2 inputs can be configured as either Input 1,2 (stereo), Input 1, or Input 2.

Yes, we can record to either clips or straight into the arranger.

I only wish Force had more inputs.

1 Like

have you heard as a beta tester or otherwise anything about the force getting the ability to record midi into clips in the future?

Recording MIDI into clips is what I do 90% of the time on Force.
I donā€™t understand? :slight_smile:

but on the timeline there isnā€™t a clip container for the midi is that correct or am I misunderstanding what Gxsd is always talking about?

MIDI is recorded straight into the arranger, not into clips or patterns. So itā€™s like a traditional linear DAW timeline like Cubase or Cakewalk.

1 Like

so are there any advantages that audio being held within clips has over the midi that is on the timeline?

Itā€™s easier to move the audio clips around the timeline. :grinning: The arranger UI is tiny!
Iā€™m still learning 3.0.5, thereā€™s a lot to cover.

2 Likes

thank you

1 Like

Midi not being treated as clips in the arranger is my biggest gripe at the moment but the update was huge, so not going to focus on the negative

thanks for trying out!
wow, this seems a whole new paradigm, as now the Force is also a kind of harddisk recorder. Itā€™s especially interesting if you want to record two live musicians at once.

1 Like

With 3.0.5, Force can now import Ableton Live .als files.
I donā€™t use Ableton Live, but was looking for software that can export .als files.

Found this thread on the Audiobus forum: Audiobus forum link

Desktop software that can export .als files:
Ableton Live Ableton Site
Korg Gadget 2 Korg Site

iOS/iPadOS apps that can export .als files:
Thereā€™s an outdated list on the Ableton site
Ampify/Novation Blocs Wave Apple App Store (Tested: Exports audio)
Ampify/Novation Groovebox Apple App Store (Tested: Exports both audio and MIDI)
Dmitrij Pavlov Groove Rider GR-16 Apple App Store (Tested: Only exports audio)
Korg Gadget 2 Apple App Store (Tested: Only exports either audio or MIDI, not both)
Olympia Noise Co Patterning 2 Apple App Store

Hardware that can export .als files:
Akai Force
Akai MPC
Korg Electribe 2/2S

Hardware that can import .als files:
Akai Force

Iā€™d post this in the Force room on the MPC Forums, but thatā€™s dead.
This isnā€™t necessary, but folks may find it useful for other purposes: ABL2MIDI - Ableton Export to MIDI Converter: Discchord link

Anyone know if the clips can be set to loop infinitely with an odd number of steps?

Rather than 1 bar, or 16 beats, I want the clip to loop forever at 5 beats. Maybe 3 beats or 7 beats.

The MPC Live does not let you loop tracks at odd numbered steps (only even numbers). Curious if the Force is different.

Thanks!

Is this what you mean?
If so, yes.
Same goes for audio clips too

1 Like

Yup. 5 steps would be 0:1:24. It can be between 0-95 or 0-959 depending on PPQN. (96 or 960).
And each clip gets itā€™s own Launch Quantization.
Polymetric rhythms are no problem. Polyrhythms are tougher since Force doesnā€™t do multiple time signatures, but a little math & planning ainā€™t too tough.

Oh boy, I was hoping for a dealbreaker :joy:

But you guys are awesome for this welcome news. Thatā€™s great! Thank you

1 Like

And when using clips of different lengths you can also enable ā€œlegatoā€ trigging. So if you change to a new clip it will not restart, but continue from the same place. Very helpfull when doing polymetric stuff.

2 Likes

Sounds like techno to me :metal:t4::metal:t4::metal:t4:

Can you assign external controller knobs to internal parameters on the Force?

Iā€™m finding information on how to do this with the MPC Live but not the Force.

Curious - thanks!

No, you cant do that. I think i have a workaround, but i havent tested it yet.

But with how the new Macroā€™s work, i rarely feel the need for any external controllers. You have 16 macroā€™s for the q-link knobs for each individual track. And you have a total of 32 macroā€™s for the whole project. You have to push some buttons to change between them, but thats not a problem for me. I usually just set up the ones i need in a ā€œprocjectā€, and tweak those while jamming.

And the renaming of what each knob do makes it so much easier to keep track of. So in my template i have set up midi tracks for all my synths, and midi equipped effects. And i have set up macros for the most used parameters on my effects. And those pesky hidden ones on my Meris pedals.

Force is great, Iā€™m going to keep it just in case but itā€™s coming out of the set up. Maschine+ is taking its place.