AKAI Force

A couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to load/switch between different drum kits in a drum track? On my old Mpc Live & One i could load multiple kits & switch between them on a track or sequence (or whatever) I can’t find a way to do this on the force. I have to load a different kit to a different drum track.

2. Can i insert a blank track on the Matrix? If i delete tracks it shifts remaining tracks to the left. I just want to be able to insert a blank track between other tracks and then choose the track type. Or even simpler just be able to change an existing track type.

Thanks

I don’t own the Force but I don’t think you change the kits - I have the Live and kits are also called programs. You can swap a program on a particular track. On the Live, multiple tracks can have the same program so it’s not a one to one relationship.

the Force is a 1 to 1 thing. One track, 1 kit (program).

1 Like

Can anyone comment on how good the warp timestretching is on the Force? Can I drag loops into audio clips and have them sync up and sound good. The Live sounds bad

Annoying.

But thanks for the info.

It’s pretty bad. Not comparable to what you’d get in a daw.

1 Like

Weak

But it is very easy to do an “offline” stretch or pitch shift to get higher quality. So as long as you don’t import new loops live, it is not that big of a deal. I think I made a demo of this a while ago. I’ll see if I find it.

2 Likes

External MIDI Controllers:
No MIDI Learn from external controllers, as thomaso said, since Force wants to be the MIDI controller. But there is bi-directional MIDI with OLED feedback like a Nord Lead 3 or Modular G2.

Here’s an example - first use Macros to map Force’s encoders to Elektron encoders via CCs, and when turning the Elektron encoders you’ll see the Force’s OLEDs reflect what you’re doing on the Elektron. It’s all recordable and editable in a MIDI track.

Switching Kits on the Fly:
No, since the biggest difference between the MPC and Force is their sequencer workflow. You already know how the MPC works - all sequences are the same length and each obeys the master sequence. Think of Force’s clips as independent sequencer lanes - each has different lengths and start offsets, but they all can follow the global clock. There is no master sequence, but there is a master clock. With the classic MPC sequencer workflow, there is a master sequence and all track sequences are locked to it, including length and start. JJOS has ‘simultaneous sequence’, but it’s limited and not as flexible as Force’s clip-based sequencers.

With Force, you can replace a drumkit with another, and all existing MIDI data in its track is retained, since kits aren’t tied to a sequence - they’re separate entities, but it’s not as convenient as MPC’s programs, where a sequence can drive any loaded program. But on Force, you can copy any MIDI clip from any track to another track. And of course you can copy an entire track, along with all of its clips, and paste it to a new track and change the kit there. It’s nearly instantaneous too.

Live Time-Stretching/Warp:
Two algorithms - Basic and Pro 10. Neither is as good as some of the CPU-intensive live algos in major DAWs. But I believe Force 10 is on par with Elastique Efficient live stretching. But from what I’ve heard so far, Maschine+ sounds better. But Force 3.0.5 now has offline Elastique Pro time-stretching, which is considered the best algo in most major DAWs. It costs more to license, so it’s nice that Akai didn’t charge us for the 3.0.5 update.

Currently Testing: Ableton Live Set (.als) Import:
Force only has 8 audio tracks, but has up to 128 Drum/Keygroup/MIDI/CV tracks.

iPad apps that can export .als:

• Ampify/Novation Blocs Wave can export audio, to Files Apps, etc.
  • Ampify/Novation Groovebox can export both audio and MIDI, to Files Apps, etc.
  • Dmitrij Pavlov Groove Rider GR-16 can only export audio, to Files Apps, etc.
  • Korg Gadget 2 can only export audio or MIDI, not both, and only to Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing, which is inconvenient.

Desktop software that can export .als:

• Ableton Live. Everything is imported - Audio + MIDI clips, Drum Kit samples are automatically loaded into a Drum program, keygroups are auto-created and sustaining sample loops are retained, track colors & names are imported, etc. Arrangement & Session View both look identical to Live. Still needs more work, but currently works fairly well.

Wishlist:

• Tempo automation and different time signatures. The old MPCs had this - I don’t know why the new MPCs don’t. It would be more difficult to implement on Force due to its clip-based sequencers. A separate tempo track and time signature track may work.
  • Modern Elektron sequencer tricks for its step sequencer. Parameter locks, probability/chance, trig conditions, scale divider/multiplier for each clip…
  • MIDI Learn for external controllers
  • Track re-ordering
  • Disk-streaming
  • More LFOs for the AIR synths

Force 3.0.6:
Rumor is the new drum synth is coming. Drum synth apparently has more parameters than the ones in Maschine. Disk-streaming possibly later. Better step sequencer even later. Hopefully we see all this early next year, but who knows, it could take >1.5 years like 3.0.5. Or never.

5 Likes

Super helpful!

1 Like

Great info. Much appreciated.

1 Like

I don’t mind stretching my loops off line. I did that with my 2000xl and now the Live.

Just didn’t know if it was drag and drop on the Force with good sounding results.

Thanks!!!

A few more things.

1. With 3.0.5 I have a reoccurrence of an issue that was fixed with the previous update.

Note Repeat: When this is activated there’s significant latency when pressing the pads.

Doesn’t matter if it’s note repeat or arp, pattern etc.

Anyone have this problem?

1. in the 3.0.5 release notes it states this:
    • In a drum or key group track you can now automate the Slice parameter.

I’m not currently able to check out what this means or how it works. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Isn’t that just auto quantize? Have you tried turning off timing correct to see if it changes behavior?

I’ve tried from the ARP menu, TC menu and from the drop down menu but latency remains.

Will try later too.

1 Like

All seems fine on my end, tried with samples and plug ins

So when you hit the pads in note repeat mode the sound is instant? No delay at all?

Nothing approaching the Octatrack, but it’s a good start for Akai. It’s basically what we had in the MPC3000, plus a few extras.

• Use Macros as the modulation sources: Knobs, Crossfader, XY Pad, Pad Grid, Envelope Follower/LFO.
  • Destinations: Velocity to Start, Layer Slice jumping, Layer Reverse, Layer Offset.
1 Like

Super duper. Thanks again.

Here’s a thing. I’m editing a plug in whilst launching clips from different tracks. If I switch to/launch a drum track/clip whilst in edit mode, switching back again to the plug in causes the whole track to cut out momentarily.
It also seems to affect the timing slightly. Anyone else experience this?