AKAI Force

In the Akais, they’re called Drum and Keygroup programs. Keygroups are the multi-sampled instruments, like a sampled Moog, whose samples are key-mapped.

RAM usage depends on the sample sizes, but the modern Akais record or convert everything to 32 bit, so there’s no advantage in importing smaller 16 bit samples, instead of 32 bit files. (My library is mostly 16 bit, but I’ve rarely ran out of RAM).

Mapping samples takes a lot of time, like on any sampler. I have the Samples from Mars stuff, and usually do 3 samples per octave. Or less, if it sounds okay.

The modern Akais also have an auto-sampler, which is very cool.

1 Like

Question about midi notes and how they’re assigned to drum racks/groups.

Do the drum tracks correspond like this: Pad A1 = C1, Pad A2 = C1# and so on?

On the Live, there’s some weird old school mapping going on. I have to use the Edit Pad Map feature to get my Programs to line up with a traditional keyboard C1, C1#, D1, etc.

Thanks!

Right, so you minimize the samples in Keygroups to save resources. Now it’s clear, thanks.
I made a bash script to make smaller versions of Samples From Mars instruments, just one sample per octave, doesn’t sound bad to me.
I guess the Force has an “auto map samples to notes by name” feature to speed things up, right?.
Thanks again for your help,

No, it doesn’t.

Its ‘Auto-sampler’ is different. It automatically creates keygroups from your hardware synths, VSTis, AUv3 synths, etc., without having to manually record and key-map individual samples. It saves a tremendous amount of time.

You mentioned that you used an iPad, Beatmaker 3?
If so, then Force takes around the same amount of time to map samples to specific key-ranges. I can upload screenshots if that’ll help you get an idea of the workflow.

Yes.

1 Like

Anyone been able co control drum synth with an external midi controller, like playing it with the keys or pads externally?

I played the drums with Octatrack.
Alltho my goal was to parameter lock drum synth values.

How did u manage?

Set up the midi input you are using for the external keyboard as “master” in the settings. Then it will control the track you are on.

If you use the drum synth plugin you can play the different drum sounds at once. If you use just one of the drum sounds you can play it chromatically.

1 Like

I did set it up like u said, but it doesn t work. Interesting is that if I load any other plug in like say Hypersynth it works… :frowning:

Strange. I’ll test this tonight when i have some studio time. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!

My friend I solved it, thanks a lot!
It was my keyboard which didn t go low enough in scale somehow. :slight_smile:

hehe. This was what i thought was the problem as well. Good you got it sorted out.

1 Like

Hey y’all. With the Ableton Live project import, how many audio tracks will come over to the Force, 8?

I’m making loops in Ableton. They’re on audio tracks. I’m imagining just saving the .als file and importing it into the Force. Just curious if there’s a limit to the audio tracks.

Is it better to drop the loops into a simpler on a midi track?

I don’t have a Force. But am very interested in one.

Thanks

limit of 8 stereo audio tracks–but its not an issue
Do a submix to 8 stereo stems for audio

Guys, please please give me a hand!
How to set up the Force not to have a midi loop when using external keyboard and modules.

Somehow, on the digital synths doesn’t create me problems , but on all analog ones it does big time…
I tested and it’s all got to do with some midi loop, because when I disconnect midi in port it’s all good, but I am a keys player, so I need the keys.
Thanks!

Tell us the names of the synths that are giving you problems. Have you set “Local Off” on them?

On all of them. I thought only on the analog…but on all… I got Pro1, Model D, Microkorg… so many. Yes, local is off.
I tried many combinations of settings on akai Force … maybe not the right ones.
Maybe there are here people using it with external synths… what settings do you use on the Force?

Sounds like you have too many MIDI Input Ports set to Master, or have MIDI Channel conflicts, or forgot to disable MIDI Monitoring for each track. Or all of the above. Don’t leave everything on MIDI Channel 1, gotta use those DIPS on the Behringers. Or set your Master keyboard to another channel.

Page 349-350 of the manual.

1 Like

Have you tried setting the midi monitor to off on the Force’s track settings?

And made sure that the keyboards are not set as “master” in the midi/sync setting page?

1 Like