Akai Rumours

What do we think Akai is bringing? A new MPC, 3.0 firmware or another plug-in?

Just seen this on their IG story :eyes:

6 Likes

breakfast drink. a red one.

4 Likes

So sick of this brand honestly…they’ve really put a stain on their pedigree with all their cash grabs over the past decade or so.

13 Likes

Beet juice? Except they’ll call it “beat juice” I suppose.

8 Likes

Looks like I sold my OG Live just in time!

5 Likes

New hardware’s a tricky one for them now, I expect, as they ideally want to sell to the existing MPC user base - so anything that is new would really need to come with backwards compatibility, but still offer an improvement over the existing gear. I guess they could just launch a replacement MPC One with a built-in speaker, or some fancy shoes or something.

2 Likes

An MPC Mini with a battery could be awesome!!

8 Likes

New firmware?

2 Likes

My money is on the leaked new Mpc X with all plug-ins and more ram.
My hope is Mpc 3 in line with the Force…

6 Likes

You’d think a new MPC would have been announced at NAMM. Were they an attendee? That might be a clue. If they weren’t there, then I’m guessing a new X model and a OS to go with it and the whole range.

3 Likes

Plug-in or controller. That’s my guess…

1 Like

It’s the MPC XL. Sweetwater has already stopped selling the X after severely discounting it to move remaining inventory.

Internally I imagine it’s the MPC Keys.

1 Like

This. in the MPC studio form factor and in dark blue/grey pads & oled screen. Put the soul back in it.

2 Likes

In all reality if it’s not breakfast I think it’s going to be portable, the mpc live 2 is too heavy and expensive to market against the wave of minis. It will probably be a specialty gameboy with non velocity pads and a touch screen.

Firmware that makes you connect to the internet before you can use your MPC?

14 Likes

New subscription model for note polyphony ?

5 Likes

Plug-in version of their filter bank from decades ago ?

3 Likes

We’re also waiting on an updated APC40, but does that really qualify as “something new”?

1 Like

As you boot up or shut it down, the splash screen is a giant middle finger. If you don’t connect to the Internet at least once a day, it will change all midi sequences to be almost the melody from Sandstorm, and randomly pitch all of your samples up or down 4.5 semitones.

3 Likes

They will announce employee of the month. His name is Tim and he is doing great job testing MPC firmware for years. Good work, Tim!

11 Likes

I rather like sandstorm.

1 Like