Akai Rumours

if he was making a video comparing the sound quality between the mpc x and the mpc 60 the presentation might have made more sense but the actual content of what he’s saying isn’t even about the colorization of the vintage converters, he’s saying these big plastic boxes that these companies are making are putting out less quality sound… which isn’t true, and he himself is using a maschine ffs, but says he knew what he was getting into because he compensates the poor maschine sound with his analog gear, even the EA ski clip he referred to was focused on upgrading converters… so basically what he really wants is degraded converters…

he doesn’t even use an mpc and is more concerned with what just blaze says in old videos or ? I dunno, whatever ski is saying right now… just seems a little weird… he never talks about what he himself thinks about the sound of an mpc that he uses himself…
Well after further thought I can only conclude that this whole topic didn’t have enough value for me to bring up in the first place… I’ll take the L on this one :grin: , funny though cause it looks like since ski made his video people who don’t even use the instrument are jumping on the bandwagon and his core comment a about ‘‘sacrificing the sound quality for workflow’’ is just ridiculous and unfounded, the two concepts are not even theoretically connected… as if they were in a board room deciding between the two lol

I remember so many people saying the same thing about the mpc 1000 and 2500 and now they all want a 2500 like alchemist… of course there are differences in sound between the legacy models, midrange models, and newer models but nobody is going to reject an alchemist record because he didn’t use a 2500

I will say however that I definitely prefer the pre-Maschine Prefuse73 albums to the work he’s done on maschine but that’s because of the workflow differences and not due to the sound of maschine

3 Likes

I think that may be it - this is a social commentary as much as it is a technical commentary.

On paper, the specs are fine. But has anyone made a hit on one?

Pistols at dawn.

1 Like

:grin:

1 Like

Aye, back in the old country you’d be laughed out of town if you were seen using a 2500. A 1000 gave you some cred because maybe it was all you could afford, or you could fit it next to your turntable in your cramped beatmaking bolthole. Sitting there with a brand new 2500 on your big mahogany desk, how could you ever hope to make anything real? What do you need two q-link sliders for? Do you think our Lord had two q-link sliders when he was up there on the cross? And if you were flexing your enormous wealth, you’d have a 5000.

This is why the One will be rediscovered eventually, but the X is doomed. The Live MK2, no problem - the YouTube thumbnails write themselves. The MPC with a BATTERY?!?! [amazed face]

4 Likes

New gear always leads to a compulsion to release ‘content’ from ‘creators’.

While there are many stages, categories, and sub-categories of this content, one way to divide them neatly is people with the gear in hand and people without.

This was seen recently in the Tracker Mini thread where a certain uTuber was looked upon negatively for a seemingly photoshopped thumbnail holding the new device when the video revealed he was just sharing his thoughts on it.

I imagine if your goal is to release videos about a new device, but don’t have access to it, then one’s imagination must conjure up ideas to peak viewers interests.

Proclaiming to potential buyers of the device that it is somehow inferior to older models, which could be interpreted as calling the adopters of the new device inferior, is a sort of provocation that could attract clicks and views.

But like the last cheese ball at the end of those massive family sized plastic barrels, it is not as good as the first. You watch content like that and it leaves the same sour, orange film on your tongue and in dire need of a fresh bottle of spring water and a wet wipe to get the goo off your fingers.

I wish all modern MPC users a day of happy beat making, regardless of which model they do it on.

Edit - a random video to let you know it’s ok to suck so bad (not you, I’m talking to that other guy)

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thought Akai could review and use different materials instead of the current rubber style which will go yuk down the road.

The retro-coloured versions are hard plastic, no mushy gummy substance seen anywhere.

4 Likes

Anyone see this plug-in coming? Think it’s expensive but people/producers do spend £25-250 on plugins and soft synths.

Should we start guessing what the next plugin drops will be for MPC standalone…

1 Like

$89! I wouldn’t be too worried about missing out on the early bird discount for this one. You’ll get another chance.

2 Likes

Looks nice, I’ll probs nab it at some point, providing they do a desktop version that is…

1 Like

I’ll wait for the next sale, when they’ll make the usual mistake of doubling up the discount…
I want a reverb though, not a delay…

tbf that does look pretty good - I went in with low expectations but I like the dynamic gate thing. It’s a bit like Ableton’s Echo but with some extra jazz

Do you think this will eat a lot of standalone CPU?
Pro reverb up next?

Better pick up an MPC X SE as well, just in case.

Or Keys

Haha, it has more ram but the same cpu right?

This is SOOOO TRUE

Maybe just me? I don’t think an intro price of $39 for a plugin that can be used both as a VST and within the standalone devices is expensive at all assuming the overall feature set and quality is good (looks to be at first glance). Unless I’m wrong it looks like you get both versions for one price? I actually think that’s very reasonable. I’m a total sucker for delays in particular, so I’ll demo, but no doubt I’ll be picking this up for my MPC One. Having it as a VST as well is a bonus.

No doubt, it’ll go on sale sooner rather than later too. I’m sure by the holiday season at the latest.

1 Like