Analog Heat MKI/MKII 1.20

No worries! :totes: Better put a presentation here than nowhere.

3 Likes

So, I just checked and the settings were already at +30 dB. It’s also not an audacity issue as in the sound menu of Cinnamon (my window manager) the input level of the sound card can be monitored and is also only about at half of the maximum. I tried increasing the level of the sound source (OT) and playing with the input sensitivity. This helps a little bit but it starts clipping.

great update! love beeing able to use it with my iPad :nerd_face:

really wish they can figure out how to do this with the Digitakt too… just the stereo mix via usb would be great (and maybe stereo input as well…? :blush: )

5 Likes

roundtrip or just one way? Im measuring it roundtrip with 80% cpu usage on ableton live. if you use a different software with smaller buffers your results may vary.

with roundtrip you mean for instance OP-Z going into pure data, getting affected through fx and then back out of the OP-Z?

I guess iam talking about one way…basically when I hit a key and hear the PD synth through the OP-Z, it’s with the setting I described above, basically the latency for playing a patch on a raspberry pi 3.

Hmm…that sounds strange. My last idea before I’d recommend you to file a support ticket would be to check the Vol setting on the Amp page. When I run a signal (of an amplitude that is slightly below where the Heat says it’s too loud) in to the Heat and have the Vol setting at max, Audacity records the signal at around -6dB. Btw, you have the track setting to “Waveform (dB)” and not “Waveform” right?

4 Likes

Problem solved! I just used another usb port (USB 3.0 Super Speed instead of USB 2.0) and it works fine now. This might have something to do with power saving options I activated just in case anyone else encounters this problem.

2 Likes

that explains it, so your 4 ms one way match my 8 ms roundtrip :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cant realy see any use for class compliant USB personably

…seems like overkill and way to big for iOS (where for me portability/battery is the only real advantage)

…everything that can be done with class complaint USB could already be done (so there are no ‘new’ creative possibilities realy) - doing it with audio leads offers lower latency and (possibly) better audio fidelity (the whole point of this device was that it was analog right?)

…The big advantage if Overbridge is that it actually aggregates under Windows…this doesn’t (I have a main I/O for the studio and am not a fan of AISO4All)

I guess it adds some benefits for some people, but certainly not what I was hoping for.

Class compliance means that the audio driver will never become obsolete. It will keep on working way into the future with our windows 30, OSX Babylonia and iOS50 systems :diddly:

But if you have no need for it, that’s cool as well I guess.

17 Likes

I just dont use the audio driver at all- I find overbridge quite useful as I can select and bounce tracks through the fx without using IO on my desk, but 99% of the time I am audio in, audio out via a desk like a regular hardware fx box. I can see the benefits if you are using it as an audio interface, I just haven’t found any reason to use it that way yet…maybe I should give it a try if the converters are supurb and the latency is low…will it give RME a run for its money?

At the end of the day its a free update, and all development on the HEAT is welcome (sometimes it seems to be a little forgotten compared to the amazing updates I have had on my A4 and RYTM over the years…I keep expecting them to add stuff like ‘delay or reverb’ to make it more of a multi-fx box…but thats only as they have set the bar so high with my past updates!

Any feedback about it? Would you recommend to update or not?

I don’t understand how to copy the sysex file since it doesn’t seem to be able to acces the Heat with the Transfer program (such as with de Digitakt)

Try using c6 for the firmware upgrade, it’s available on the elektron website. Transfer isn’t currently compatible with the heat only the rytm and digitakt.

2 Likes

Great update! Made me create an instagram profile and use the heat as a mobile interface, something I was reluctant to do before just to avoid having another little box and the cables with it. Here’s my first mobile vid with it.

9 Likes

great use of the thyme :herb::herb::herb:

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m kinda into it currently

2 Likes

Hi!

On the routing page, I have “USB CC MODE” and “FX TO USB” shown as N/A… Any ideas why this is?

EDIT: And just as I posted this – I had my Heat on Overbridge mode in the USB menu. Oddly enough, it still showed up as an available interface, but with much reduced volume. Go figure.

does anybody know if you can put AH’s effect before iOS effects, or use it as a send FX?
for instance:

Samplr (or any other app, inside AUM) > AH effect > AUv3 effects (ie. Reverb, Delay) > AH Output?

I couldn’t quite figure out how (although I admit I didn’t have enough tome to play around with it) but a little hint regarding AH’s config to do this (if possible) would be greatly appreciated!

No problem, I think i still found a use for it. I’m going to tie it into my MD, and then I can bounce my jam back and forth between it and the octatrack. Fun! Should be a cool way to get different vibes going.

It = Headphone Out

1 Like

So it seems that this might not be possible, but I’m going to ask anyways as it seems like it should be a basic function and I am possibly missing something or not setting something up correctly.

I would like to pass midi data (notes cc) thru the AH via the USB, I can sniff midi data on my iPad and I see that my clock sync is passed thru. But, I am unable to send midi note date to any apps from my external sequencer (OT.)

If I turn the AH into a midi controller, I can then see the midi data on its channel.

TLDR, is there any way to set up the USB connection on AH to mirror it’s incoming midi?

Thanks!