Analog Heat

They probably got sick of dealing with firmware code on complex machines.

1 Like

I have the AR to. We have one flavor of distortion/saturation compared to eight on the AH. Its really much more versatile than what we have on the AR so basing your decision on a two band EQ might be a bit limiting. I wish they added the AR compressor to AH but I guess we cant have it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this kind of “VST boxes” are just a lil sidestep from elektron. Some kind of digital monster box is bound to get released eventually after the discontinuation of MD&MNM. But OTOH if they’re going to play “collect em all” game for a long time, there is the mixer side that needs to be conquered before going back to tonegen land

2 Likes

I was. It was a response to the graphic toot posted. You’ll see a response icon in the type right of my post.

1 Like

That, or it’s more lucrative to be known for a supreme sound. Or, you can make more money by selling each aspect of the Elektron groovebox separately.

Remember that distorted 909 by OT?
I knew it was somehow related to this new box. :slight_smile:

The youtube demo looks like an outtake from a lost episode of Metalocalypse.

I guess the thing with a character box is that it will all come down to whether you like its character or not - from playing with the web demo thing (full marks on that) and listening on soundcloud, I’m pretty optimistic. Definitely more interested in the more subtle effects it can do than full on sound destruction, but it seems to have a pretty good range on that front.

Not the biggest fan of the filters in the Analog machines though, hopefully they’ve tweaked it a little for this. Plus my Rytm and A4 can do a lot of the same stuff with OB, even if I do find it a bit fiddly to change the OB settings all the time.

I will say though that proper analogue clipping and saturation is pretty difficult to emulate in software, although Decapitator, UAD Culture Vulture and 1073 sound good to me.

I guess that the additional i/o goes some way towards justifying the price, but will need to hear a lot more before I’m convinced … but an analogue character box with overdrive, filter and eq that works as a vst via usb is something I’ve wanted for a while, could easily end up selling all of my digital hardware and relying on soft synths if it works well and sounds good.

1 Like

Especially the modular crowd.
Though many have used MD/OT/A4 with a eurorack system, most have not.

This is the first Elektron with CV inputs.

And, as always, the eurorack equivalent to this would be much more expensive.

They did leave a few crumbs for us, eh?

Both the EQ and the distortions (and the overall routing capabilities) interest me.

So far, listening to the demos didn’t give me much more tones that I couldn’t already achieve by combining the AR’s full featureset in creative ways. A lot of tones can be had by utilizing the overdrive, peak filter, master dist, comp dist and limiter dc offset in various ways.

Well I’m glad they didn’t release anything interesting because I am tired of spending money at the moment. I would have been sorely tempted by a “Hexamix” or a physical modelling / digital box in the spirit of the MnM (less all the VA aspects).

Regarding this box itself, I can hardly find anything to really say about it other than meh.

1 Like

I can see that. The AH is, at least on paper, most similar to the AR than other Elektron.
If I only owned the AR, I would probably pass.

But I don’t!

:heat: :elan: :elmd: :elmm: :heat: :happy: :aw:

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be a Mk2 request, rather than a feature request?

3 Likes

you took that thread serious? … be a good admin and reinstate my AH thread please

1 Like

As the whole “tease” campaign was going on for the AH, it somehow subconsciously possessed me to create this rig. There’s a hi-band flanger (basically comb filter), Dimension C chorus, real tube distortion, lo-fi Spring reverb, and BBD delay (I ended up switching the Ibanez delay for a Boss DM2W). Honestly, I don’t really know why I’m even GASing for the AH lol.

5 Likes

to be fair TrabanT, nobody has tried the machine yet, and you are asking for feature changes that involve the physical shape of the device that they probably won’t retool at this point.

don’t take it personally, but it’s a bit hasty for that kind of thread before the machine has even been demoed.

i think admins are trying to keep the conversation productive instead of going into the typical whine fest when things don’t meet people’s specific requirements. seems that a lot of people are happy with this that have a purpose for it

3 Likes

u didnt take that serious did you? chime in with a humorous :heat: thing that comes to mind.

[mod note : needed cooling]

1 Like

there’s plenty of studio based distortion/saturation units that are levels beyond the fidelity and features that guitar pedals provide, but i think outside of sound quality and ergonomics the thing the AH offers is full CV control over paramters with free assignment/destination for the CV input. I hope this is the case as if this is not possible I would pass on it. Seems like a no brainer to me though

2 Likes

Looks and sounds like a pretty neat box.
Not cheap, missing a bitcrusher and I expected some more controls for this price…

I am excited as I already am looking for a ‘warming’ unit for the OT, the OTO BOUM could be serious competition, as I expect them to have a bitcrusher included and it is expected to be cheaper (looking at the current prices for the BIM/BAM.

Still want a bitcrusher/filter/distortion for the RYTM, especially for the analog bassounds, as the internal bitcrusher works only with the samples;
Red Panda Bitcrusher + Dreadbox Epsilon?

I am really curious about the capibilities of the AH;
midi CC (P-locking/LFO’s via the OT)
Sonically; from subtile to the extreme, filters, EQ (2 band seems a bit weird, but who knows)

What can we expect next? Reverb/Delay

Mixed emotions, but I am still excited, want to see some demo’s which really show off the capabilities of this new box.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn’t pooh-pooh guitar pedals though; they sound good. Some have actual transformers and tubes in them, which the AH lacks.

1 Like