Analog rack synths

Jeff Mills used to use a few Korg rack mounts in the 90’s. You can pick up a Korg MS2000R or BR for ~$4-600 USD.

If you like old junk it could be a thing.

4 Likes

What about:

• Oberheim Matrix 1000
  • Marion Systems MSR-2 or Prosynth (by T. Oberheim)

should be around 1.500,- € or lower.
But those don’t come close to your sound specification from above, though … :wink:

1 Like

Not actually analogue as the OP asked about. Still good synths, mind.

2 Likes

Sorry, I was sure I skim past them all the time on Reverb with “Analog” in the name? I must be mistaken.

1 Like

dunno if this counts, but - you can get rack ears for a Minitaur/Sirin

but also for DFAM/Mother/Subharmonicon which maybe hits more of your buttons?

1 Like

As others have said the Behringer 2600 has got to be worth considering. Run it through some decent FX (if that’s your thing) and it covers so many bases.

My understanding is that there are online editors for it, like this: https://audiobombs.com/items/94/mks-50-advanced-synthesizer-programmer

1 Like

I love old junk) Have Quasimidi polymorph from the same era.

MS2000 was fun but strange sounding synth. Wouldn’t mind to have one around! Why not!

Actually I start to feel like Sirin is the solution. Wanted one from the beginning. Amazing sound and format. Sad they sell it for double price now, but I’m hunting over a proper deal!

Agh yes, they sounds amazing! Almost forgot they exist

Studio Electronics has some.

2 Likes

Fwiw, Sirin is a nice compact desktop module with a classic 2-osc voice, but little in the way of sound-design.

1 Like

I had a Spectral Audio ProTone for a while, and enjoyed it. 2 VCO + noise and ring mod, 1 LFO with lots of destinations, shapes and ran far up into audio range, 12/24 db/oct filter with lo/hi-pass switch, MIDI. Sounded a bit thin which made it better for leads, arps and SFX in my opinion. The LFO and ring mod were great fun.

No wonder, because it’s a MiniTaur, which is dedicated to generate moogish bass sounds in the first place coming with an extension to play additional higher notes :wink:

Nevertheless, great sound and affordable.

http://www.spectralaudio.ch/neptuneII.htm

2 Likes

I forgot all about that one… used to have the original Neptune. Tons of character and nice low end.

1 Like

Vermona (especially the Perfourmer), maybe?

2 Likes

Roland SPV-355 - the closest you’ll get to a Roland SH-2 in rack format. Quite a bit simpler though.

Roland MKS series (7, 30, 50, 70, 80). The 30 is a good choice, similar to a JX3P.

Moog Voyager

Oberheim OB-Mx

RSF Kobol

Paia Fatman

Exclusively Analogue The Aviator

Boring interface but decent sound category:
Cheetah MS6
Crumar Bit01

1 Like

Cool!

Never heard of SPV355 before. Very nice design and probably can be modded for additional lfo or at least cv inputs for oscs and filter to add more variety.

Aviator - same, haven’t heard about it before, looks very nice. No sound examples, having hard time to find any video or audio of it.

Kobol - yes!) in parallel universe I would take two of them. Extremely nice sounding and rare.

But checked Cheetah, remember it was considered as “worst design ever” 20 years ago. Sounds really nice to me. Maybe even getting one.

SPV - it’s got a pedal CV input for vco and/or vcf.

Cheetah - I used to own one in the nineties and liked it a lot. It’s cumbersome to program, that’s its biggest flaw imo. But it’s a powerful multitimbral analog poly.

1 Like