Analog Rytm Vs JomoxAlpabase vs Perkons

Man this is confusing. All three are roughly the same price. But im having a hard time deciding.

So far
Rytm seems to win for versatility

Alphabase wins fo more classic layout looks and better sound from the getgo?

Perkons wins for fun and instant knobby appeal

I like Synthpop and Hip Hop rock Jazz and Classical and ambient but not a techno fan. So concerned Perkons is crippled here.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

I think you’ve summed it up well. Only you can say what your priorities are and decide.

3 Likes

Yes ive watched and read a lot on all three. But you know you think youve missed something feeling. Maybe i haven’t :smirk:

At the minute I don’t think you can get a Perkons, so it depends when you plan on buying. For the rytm and jomox, why not order one, try it for a week or 2 and if it doesn’t work out send it back. Both are loved by many, so I don’t think you can go wrong really.

1 Like

I dont mind waiting a few months. But yes its not available. Atm im leaning towards the Alphabase. If this did microtiming id buy it straightaway. But the Elektron sequencer is a killer feature. Ive got a Cirklon soon hopefully so could go for the Alphabase and use that to sequence.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried a jomox but the sound they have is really good. I’ve had a couple of ARs and I’m not a fan of the analog sounds, but the sampler and sequencer are top notch. In the end it wasn’t instant enough for me.
I’ve had a Perkons since they were released. It’s easily my favourite drum machine so far. Immediate, sounds good and is high quality to twiddle.

2 Likes

Yes the Perkons wins on so many factors. Can it be versatile to fit anything but techno?

It’s a synth so there is some flexibility. I’d say it’s a techno machine though. Somebody posted a track in the Perkons thread that was smoother and less harsh. I’d go and check that out.

1 Like

Im not a technophibe. Can you tell me what is a techno machine at heart? As you say most demos are techno so limited for what reason?

Personally, I prefer the rytm, which is because I know it now and also know roughly what sounds I can get out of it.

I recently had the opportunity to play an alpha in a music store and I have to say that despite the surroundings, I stayed longer at it because the sound was quite different from that of the rytm. definitely interesting and not to be despised, sounded very professional and decent, but also raw at first, like with rytm, so here too you have to screw for the right sound, which should be the case if you design yourself instead of ready-made samples gain weight.

so if i were rich i would have both for sure but rytm mk2 stays. the internal and external sampling in the rytm is also a strength that alpha i don’t think has and audio via USB… and the operation in general. In addition, the alpha is a really rickety rattle box.

3 Likes

Neither of these videos are what I’d call techno really.

3 Likes

Thats true. I overlooked you still need to mess around to get the sounds. And rickety is not good.:face_with_monocle:

well, that was fine with the construction, but it didn’t feel as high-quality as the rytm.

1 Like

I have not heard great things about using the Alpha Base. The AR is seemless.

But that Jomox kick…

I would do AR plus Mbase 11

2 Likes

I’d give the Perkons a little more time. Looks great but I have nagging feeling it has a ceiling, which is often a consequence of immediacy. Maybe that ceiling is fine for techno but not the other genres you favour. I don’t dislike techno either but have no desire to make it. Prefer more experimental stuff.

2 Likes

Just buy AR

• modern architecture
  • internal + external sampling
  • 12 internal channels and 2 external channels with overbridge
  • better sequencer
  • better efx
  • performance and scene macros
  • better MIDI
10 Likes

I vote Tempest.

Or Rytm.

Or Alphabase.

Or Perköns. If you decide to take a jaunt through hard techno town.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to be the guy that goes off list, but Claid paved the way!
I recently got a Tempest in excellent condition used. I’m getting to know it and am aware of its checkered past. I have to say it’s a stunning machine in its concept. Dave and Roger weee very clear in their intro video back in 2011 or so, that it is meant as a hands on, play it live monster. And it is. I’m a bit gobsnacked by what it can do while the sequencer is running. A very deep machine, and more of an instrument than other drum machines I’ve had by far. Also have DR2 and P23 and they are all very different. I do think the machines listed in the post get used a lot for techno.

2 Likes

Cheers. The Tempest is great but isnt it orphaned now? Whats the chances it will need repairing?

It is. I have never had an issue with any gear come to think of it. WRT Tempest, I got one a DJ had bought, switched on, hit some pads and switched it off. Kept it in the box. I’ve seen others that are beat up and id stay away from them. Build is excellent if there is a potential weak spot it might be the rotary pots as you have to turn them quite a bit to change values - I expect there is a value jump combo I haven’t discovered yet.
What I’d say is it is a mature product well made. I’ll use it till it kicks the bucket. I look after my stuff which helps. No beer spills….

2 Likes