Analog Rytm Vs JomoxAlpabase vs Perkons

More importantly the work flow is amazing, that’s what appeals to me. It is prob Perkons big draw but the four voices feel limited to me. Tempest is six but you can go a long way with that.

2 Likes

I would try the gotherman stuff personally. The new stuff sounds much better to me.

Can the Analog Rytm brightness be turned down? This is a deal breaker for me as i have bad photosensitivity to lights.(and i refuse to wear polaroids over my specs)

I have Jomox bass drum module in eurorack that kick serious butt but would lean toward the Rytm to have better workflow and complement my other two Elektrons.

Have you considered Modor’s DR-2?
Same-ish price range.
Im a die hard RYTM fanboy, but the DR-2 has caught my eye recently.
It seems to sit somewhere in between the the RYTM and Perkons territory as far as programing/playability.

Wont personally have the funds anytime soon, but id love to get my hands on one some day to try out

It also has channel faders

3 Likes

I think you’ve got it right , it’s very immediate and when you add a bit of random on each voice and use the tilt filter and tweak the sounds they are really good. Different step lengths etc.
perkons more of a groove box I think. Both cool.

2 Likes

And yes, faders on a drum machine.

3 Likes

No. Same as with the A4. Should be a no-brainer to be implemented soon if there’s an update ever to come.

Edit: No-brainer in the sense of consistency across all Elektron boxes. Not judging development efforts obviously.

2 Likes

it can’t, at least for now
and it’s very bright

(replying to the wrong comment, it’s about AR brightness)

1 Like

Thanks. That eliminated it from the choices.

1 Like

Absolutely

It seems to be very diversive in opinion. Is it because people would love it but cant afford it? Or because your paying for a boutique companys overheads?

Its impossible to answer this with such little detail. You should know what genres you are wanting to make and what you are looking for in a drum machine. What is your workflow with these machines? What are you attempting to accomplish?

1 Like

Some more detail. My workflow is a studio mostly made up of keyboards Prophets Rhodes and a piano and organs etc. mostly analogue synth. Got a Buchla easel coming. The drum machine would be a layer but rather than be the centrepiece its a team player so would have to fit in a Mix so to speak.

Im not dawless i have Spectrasonics and a lot of Spitfire audio stuff. The drum machine would also be used for inspiration, to kick things off.

As mentioned the genres are diverse. Forgot to mention Cinematic as well.

Drum machine for inspiration - I’d use something with sample capabilities. I think the Rytm is the way to go, it is the most versatile.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: That’s exciting.

Re: your main question here, I’ve only played the Rytm but I think it’s best used with samples. If I didn’t like working with samples and only wanted to synthesize drums, Perks seems like the way to go. I’m not even totally sure of the correct pronunciation of “Jomox” so can’t comment on that one.

2 Likes

How heavily do you intend to lean on loading and using your own samples? As an Alpha Base owner, the Rytm seems easier in this regard from both a loading and navigating perspective.

1 Like

I would pick the one that sounds best to my ears, which would be the Perkons, and see where that takes me.

Also the Perkons would be the easiest to sell if it comes to that.

2 Likes

The brightness of the leds is a real issue.

really? never really bugged me that much to be honest but ok.

2 Likes