Analog Rytm Vs JomoxAlpabase vs Perkons

Not very. Id say about 20 percent.

I know. But if people have raised it as an issue then im certainly going to find it one as i have to wear darkened glasses a lot.

You can always put a shady transparent sheet over the screen.

3 Likes

Its more the pads. Random flickering stuff.

1 Like

Its a shame as the Octatrack at low level was fine for me

Still, given the list of styles in the original post, I’d say go with the Rytm as the first/core choice, and supplement it with one of the other two once you get an opportunity to get you hands on a demo unit.

2 Likes

Yes it was going to be my first choice till i discovered the deal breaker for me. But without the issue it seems best.

Why not use an octatrack then? Thats an amazing drum machine.

3 Likes

Fair point. Sold the Anniversary edition. Ive been looking for an Anniversary edition for a bit at a reasonable price.

With the photosensitivity thing you mentioned, it sounds like you’re down to the Jomox or Perkons. It’s a hard decision – personally I would get the Perkons and I don’t make techno. But still, I get why you can’t decide – those are both really nice drum machines.

Maybe flip a coin and just get whichever one it lands on. You won’t be stuck with it for life. Any of them will retain their resale value pretty well, so you can swap it out after a few months!

Any chance you can go to a shop and try them out in person?

1 Like

Cheers. Yes down two i feel. Perkons seems best and i feel it has yet to be exploited into other genres but i cant see why it cant work. Microtiming isnt there yet but hopefully will be. But i love the instant gratification and thats a real plus.

I cant get to a shop as i live way off the nearest store that stocks it. Will phone around to see who is stocking it in January.

1 Like

Again it really matters what drum sounds you want. You have to start there. There is no drum machine that you turn on and just get magical inspiration from. Most of them take work and further processing. For me, I rate the TR8s quite highly since it gives me a ton of awesome drum sounds. I prefer to process it in lower bit rate samplers, and it is perfect for that as the sound coming out of it is huge and clean.

There are little machines like Kastle Drum that you can sit with for 20 minutes and dial up a crazy backbeat that syncs to analogue clock. It really boils down to what sounds you want.

Nothing worse than buying a drum machine and not liking the sounds. A lot of people seem to do with analogue drum machines because they dont know how to design the sounds. Also nothing worse than buying a drum machine and not understanding you probably need other boxes to process those sounds to get them how you want. I see people say the Tr8s sounds “too clean” and its like - yeah thats a benefit of it. You have to really have a tone in mind and know how to get it.

4 Likes

Cheers. The Tr8s does sound a bit clean ive never been into Roland to be honest. I dont like their synths either. No offense meant.

Soundwise. Id say ‘earthy’ is the best type i like. Cant think of a better word.

Im not offended at all, the point is it really helps to have a sound in mind before dropping a lot of money on the wrong drum machine. The drum machine is really a starting point. That is why the Roalnd sounding clean makes my life easier afteer I have run it through multiple samplers and distortions.

1 Like

Yes working in that direction best to start off clean i agree.

So, I mentioned I would get the Perkons, but didn’t really mention why. Maybe these are some threads you can pull on to aide your decision:

• I love the sequencer. Much prefer it over the Jomox.
  • I love that kits can be swapped on the fly. Is this important to you? If so, can the Jomox do this? I’m not sure.
  • The FX sends on every voice is a huge deal to me. I tend to have hardware FX chains all over the place. Does that matter to you as well? I don’t think the Jomox has those, although it does have multiple outputs.
4 Likes

I dont like a lot of distortion on my drums but some. Can the sounds be easily loosened and tightened. How good are the filters?

for sound:

1. alphabase
  2. rytm
  3. perkons

for interface:

1. perkons
  2. rytm
  3. alphbase

edit: but yes, just get back your Octatrack. or use Renoise :sunglasses:
also, the most slept on drum machine if you’re cool with samples is Model Samples lol

1 Like

A big producer friend of mine is selling his Perkons after owning for a month. On the basis its great for Techno, fun to tweak with excellent build and looks - but you cannot disguise a one trick pony regarding the sound. Its just too harsh (for my taste also).

Dont believe me? Send me one YT demo that proves otherwise… one where the machine is not going through reverbs and delays to disguise/mellow out the sound.

Awesome if youre into Techno, awful if youre into Jazz/Classical/Ambient.

••• bracing myself for the responses ••• :joy:

The Rytm definitely wins on versatility but the Alpha Base kills both on sound… Jurgen’s circuit witchcraft is second to none… running a sample through the analog filter/vca’s cut through the mix with a dynamic range that is difficult to describe.

Dont shoot the messenger… just my two cents.

4 Likes

No thats fair opinion. It does lean heavily towards techno and probably is the best techno drum machine bar none. It seems to me if i want versatility then the Rytm tick the boxes. But if i want pure sound then the Jomox wins. I think its a fair summary.:slightly_smiling_face: