Analog Rytm Vs JomoxAlpabase vs Perkons

Just looked at the alpha base specs it’s really impressive. The interface looks techno all day long to me. Agree with above posts octatrack or AR might be way to go. OT for me.

1 Like

Yeah the Alphabase sounds amazing. I have heard that it can be tedious to program sounds on but I dont think you can go wrong with it. It’s a modern classic. What I like is that the kick has it’s own thing going on but works in the club just as well as an 808/909. I will say that t he Rytm can make some amazing kicks as well, you just need to really learn how to work the filter and bump the right frequencies.

1 Like

Do not get a Rytm til they update the OS with brightness dimming. It’s a fucking Christmas tree of horror in low-light conditions. Unnecessarily bright!

3 Likes

Cheers Craig. I wasnt sure it was scare stories you get on the net. But the lights on the Octatrack were way too bright for me till the update. Now the trigs are one thing. But pads would be another if too bright.

1 Like

I have an Alpha Base and Rytm MKII, and plan to add the Perkons over the next few months. Also, own a DR-2, which was mentioned earlier. The assessment about the three options seem spot-on from my view, and the DR-2 is another consideration.

In my humble opinion, all three (or four) can work for the genres stated in the original post to varying degrees. The Rytm will offer the most flexibility. It has a great sequencer, a basic sampler, and a combination of pads and step buttons. Unfortunately, the sample library is restricted to the internal drive space, and the analog models are restricted to certain pads. The Alpha Base is great, but there are better options for non-dance music genres. It can record and load samples, but as with the Rytm, its no MPC. Furthermore, its sequencer is rather limited. Similar to the Alpha Base, the DR-2 also leans heavily to dance music, but with a better sequencer and no sampling capabilities. Based on videos and other resources, the Perkons seems awesome, but I do not have first hand experience.

That said, I would obtain a sample-based drum machine first (i.e., MPC, Digitakt, etc.) and add one of the prior options later.

3 Likes

Digiitakt seems very useful. Thanks🙂

1 Like

What about a digitakt pairen with a vermona drm1?

2 Likes

My vote goes to the Alphabase but I’ve never used the other two.
The sound is really amazing, barely needs processing but also takes it like a champ if that’s your thing. Of course the kick is fantastic (and very versatile) but like @Nikarga said there’s something about the VCA/filters/ADSR that give an unmistakable punch to your sounds. I find the UI and sequencer perfectly usable, really pretty great actually. If you’re heavily into P-locking stuff then just use your Cirklon as the AB is fully midi controllable that way. I’ve heard the FM synth really opens up too if you play it with keys and/or a more capable sequencer.

The thing that I like the most about the AB is the power, the dynamics. I’ve made a sample pack and use a lot of my samples in the OT, but man does it not sound the same.

I’ve made a fairly comprehensive demo of the AB if you’re interested.

7 Likes

Thanks. Yes im going for the Alphabase now. And with the Cirklon will be able to branch into other genres more easily. I like that each track has a separate channel. Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perkons’ never pretended to be anything else :man_shrugging:t3:

You can tame it by using (band pass) filters but the base sound is gritty. It’s not just made for just techno though imho, but it has a certain sound palet that either floats ones boat or does not. Same can be said of the Pulsar23 for example.

If you gravitate mostly towards more rounded softer sounds than perkons probably should not be on the short list :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not having used the other two, Rytm is the best drum machine ever made

1 Like

Yes but the firmware need updating now. Re lights like Blackpool illuminations.

I was going to suggest watching the video @tumulishroomaroom made for the Alphabase – it’s by far the best one someone has done exploring the machine. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched it and if I don’t use the Alphabase for a bit due to life, I go back and watch parts of it as a refresher. Like some others here, I have the Alphabase along with a Rytm (MKI in my case). People have already done a good job of summarizing the primary differences, but I’ll try to add a little.

People seem to have a love/hate relationship with JoMox products largely due to the interface and the programming can be ‘quirky’ for sure. It’s not overly difficult once you’ve invested some time with it, but the workflow is different and a lot of people just want to plug in and go. That’s the real key here… a willingness to learn it and accepting the workflow for what it is. That won’t be the case for some which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion for something they’ve purchased. Support can be hit and miss at least from what I’ve read.

Out of all the drum machines I’ve had, the Alphabase is by far the most extensive in terms of parameters and sound design which depending on your view will be good or bad. It’s also the most unique sounding (IMO) and the kick drum is legendary and to die for. I haven’t touched the sampler aspects of it yet, but I have other options.

If you don’t like the sequencer and can do that from something else, it then becomes a very expensive sound module, but know that it doesn’t have extensive midi. It would be kind of like a bunch of modular drum modules in a much more compact form.

2 Likes

Thankyou for that :slightly_smiling_face:

Haven’t found the lights problematic at all.

I think he’s talking about the mk2

2 Likes

Ah.

It’s interesting the way people talk about the Jomox Alpha Base… reminds me of how people talk about the Spectralis, drums are all sample based there but some magic is going on because they sound huge and the digital filters sound great on them, easy to shape up some one shots. I assume the Spec is even more of a weird workflow than the Jomox though.

1 Like

I think I’d still rather have Jomox samples and a Perkons for making really in the moment ideas.

I use a Ryrm for non techno beats and mainly for experimental and ambient stuff

Because of the issue you mentioned i would not get it unless there is an update ( if it will ever be)

I would not get a Perkons or a Alphabase eitherthese are great for techno and beyond.

Have you considered a Pulsar 23 or an Elektron or even a non Elektron sampler for drum duties?