Analog Rytm Vs JomoxAlpabase vs Perkons

If your in it near london you can try my DR2/P23/Tempest. Also have a tambourine somewhere….

3 Likes

I can’t remember precisely because I didn’t click at all with the alpha base but I found that sequencing ccs was very annoying. It was updating the screen parameters like crazy, or setting focus… sorry i can’t be more precise but to me it was extremely unpleasant if not a workflow killer.

1 Like

I was drinking a bit too much last night and had one of those ‘aw fuck it’ moments and bought an Alpha Base online. I don’t need it but you know how it is…
Did I mess up?

2 Likes

I think you’ll be fine, as long as you don’t start calling it Daphne and expecting it to wash the dishes for you.

6 Likes

How did u know I was going to call her Daphne? ur spooky

1 Like

And you’re a deviated prevert.

2 Likes

Where did you buy it from?

1 Like

Thanks. Ive never used them before. Hard to find it now.

Thomann have them too but for £50 more. Thomann do let you return stuff if you aren’t happy but I’m sure I can sell it down the line if I need to. Who knows if Jomox can weather the economic downturn?

1 Like

Hard to say what happens the next 18-24 months, but he’s survived the dot com bubble/recession, the 2008 recession and the worst of the pandemic thus far, so a decent track record of weathering these things.

2 Likes

Good to hear, he seems like a very nice guy.

Rytm’s sampling abilities are nice. I personally don’t like nor use any of Rytm’s synth engines, purely use it for samples as I don’t think the synths sound very good. I end up using the Analog Four for kicks and sometimes snares as it sounds way better for drums. But the functionality and sequencer make it perfect for my needs. The Jomox from what I have heard sounds better from jump street but you don’t get the wonderful Elektron sequencer and setup. If you dont mind using samples sometimes to get the sounds you want (especially for the tops, hats/cymbals/) the Rytm is a no-brainer and a great machine.

1 Like

Where do you get your samples from?

Mars

5 Likes

Venus.

2 Likes

Out of the box the Rytm 2 sounds pretty bad, but follows a classic line up of sounds (808/909) which really threw me for a loong time. I kept expecting a similar immediacy as with a 909 or 808 and it just doesn’t do that.

However using it selectively, when needing something a little more tweakable but in those sound worlds, and being able to pick from its drum engines to do that, once familiar, is really great. Less is definitely more and this machine for me really demands doing more with less sounds.

The bright pads are especially annoying and I basically can’t use it at night, unless i sit it or myself under a lamp and then all is ok.

Id say it’s fine for using as a sampler, but pretty limited there on some basic functions, like being able to accurately edit samples after sampling, or being able to choose stereo with maybe the limit is has to be routed to main outs or something. Zero point clicks on loops, can be frustrating if using bass loops. I love a click but these are like mallets into your skull sometimes.

When using round robin setup with samples it really starts to sing more like an analog drum machine, ironically. Although the engines are great internally, although I found learning how best to use them is less obvious than you’d think, esp if relying on 808/909 sound logic.

It does a lot, so it’s tempting to have it do everything, and it gets close in some ways, but falls down on having no eq. Partnered with Live or something and using external plugins and still being able to monitor all through Rytm 2 (as it’s also a soundcard) is really nice tho. Rytm 2 plugged in, laptop running of battery, pretty small sofa setup and that sculpting comes alive more.

I’ve had mine for a few years, struggled massively with it personally on my refusal to let it force me to work a certain way, but yeah, it’s definitely a great box. Was using mine last night and come away pretty happy…finally. Haha!

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense.I dont want to go down the path of having a box that tries its best to do everything. And what you say means a lot of the Rytm would be bloatware so to speak unless you use it of course. Thats why i keep going back to traditional instruments that do one job and do it very well. Being that im very impatient i would be frustrated too much and thats crap in music. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

…check again on perkons polymeter possebilties…

if i saw that right, it’s concept of tactile rows allow pretty much all kinds of realtime twists way beyond the obvious four the floor range and is capable of covering all sorts of beat measures…

since as u mentioned, it’s basic sound and handling concept is rock solid, totally unique but universal anyways and has a dead simple direct hands on aproach hard to find anywhere else…besides with it’s basic digital osc’s and routing, mutations but all final full on analog treatments it covers best of both worlds…

if i had to invest in such a device…there would be pulsar or or perkons…leaning heavily to perkons lately, simply for it’s better complex but still good to oversee and handle approach…

those two give u the unique and raw as fuk vibe like no others…

if ur more into the swedish way of things, than the a4 is the better rytm…

and adding sample layerring is always leading to better results, when also done on another “focussed on one thing/one trick pony but that for real” machine…

modern music always deals in best case with some sample based pattern AND some synthesized pattern, both individually crafted, created to compliment each other but each also can stand for their own…

2 Likes