Analog Rytm Vs JomoxAlpabase vs Perkons

Yes i agree. Perkons is coming out on top.

1 Like

ā€¦good choice uā€™ll never regretā€¦

as much as i love the pulsarā€¦it would frustrate and confuse me more often than it would make me happyā€¦

while the perkon has a decent level of no matter what almost total recall vibe and straight forward backboneā€¦

not to mention that their lxr take is THE only digital synth drum machine that translates totally unprocessed, straight out of the box to huge soundsystems like nothing else iā€™ve ever dealt withā€¦erica rulesā€¦

3 Likes

I think the same way. The Alpha Base has a huge sound tho! I hope Jomox will create some modular modules for alpha base. This way you could use an elektron sequencer (octatrack for example) to do midi to cv sequencing with microtiming and of course have almost unlimited options with other modules.

2 Likes

I would stay away from jomox. I had a 888, lovely kick, i did love the sample engine (i think its 12 bit) and VCAs but it was the most quirky machine i ever had. Its not really that its buggy its just extremely quirky and it seems that it has a underpowered arrrrā€¦ cpu? processor?.. the part of the machine that has the task of processing stuff like midi, showing parameters etcā€¦ The knobs where the worst that i ever used. Its not that they jumped values, but the way that the turn of the knob would translate to a change of a certain value was quircky. If i recall correctly it was a bit hard to dial in precise values. If you send a few midi messages- notes plus cc - it can start to act strange and not send the messages as it should - coundt do parameter locks from a maschine, for example.

I love the Rytm - both mki and mkii - but has some people already mencioned - it can do some much that it can become a problem when using with other machines. Not the most immediate machine getting bread and butter sounds but once you learn it, i really loved the versatility and sound design of the analog voices, shaped by the filters and the possibility to layer with samples.

So i would go perkons :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the input. The mist is clearingšŸ™‚

1 Like

None of that applies to the Alphabase though. The sequencer isnā€™t cutting edge, itā€™s very much rooted in an ā€œold schoolā€ way of doing thing, but it does what it says it does perfectly well. Build quality is very good too.

3 Likes

I really hope so. Unfortunately when I had such a inconsistent experience with the 888, I will stay away from jomox and will not recommend to anybody. But Itā€™s great itā€™s working for youšŸ‘

Yes, Mars. Samples from Mars is my go-to for Drum Samples. They have really high-quality samples of most drum machines out there and if you can wait until Black Friday you can get all 56GB of their drum and synth samples for $39. Quite a steal.

2 Likes

I got the deal last year. I still have them in the zip folders. I must take a look.:slightly_smiling_face:

JoMoX all dayā€¦ this is no 888 or 999.

No bugs, just sound :+1:t4:

6 Likes

Some of my thoughts/observations: AR kicks donā€™t hit hard enough for me, something about the attack doesnā€™t sit right. For me Jomox is overall the most solid kick drum out there, but not crazy about the other synthesis on their drum machines. DFAM might be the most dynamic and powerful drum source Iā€™ve used, but it isnā€™t much of a drum machine on itā€™s own.

The A4 has the initial attack and synthesis options to make a ton of great sounds, and thatā€™s the center of my drum setup. Track 4 is always a tight filter blip that layers with the Jomox Modbase (triggered via midi), and the CV track and LFOs are sent to control the DFAM. Those 3 working together is the best drum machine Iā€™ve found.

Havenā€™t tried the Perkons yet. Looks dynamic and powerful enough, but think that I might get sick of the sound.

2 Likes

Had the AR for a few weeks now and the kicks hit hard. Played over 2h last week on a club PA and this thing is capable to deliver hard af kicks to the dancefloor

6 Likes

A bit of a tangent but Iā€™ve had to buy individual drum machine ā€˜piecesā€™ instead of a single god-box due to cash restraints over the years, and Iā€™ve landed on Tanzmaus/Digitakt/ND3, which is a crazy flexible/fun system if a little ungainly and not so portable. Consider smaller machines to cover your analog/sample/synthetic soundsā€¦?

2 Likes

I agree thoroughly.

The kicks that Iā€™m able to get out of this machine are really full and punchy. Iā€™ve no complaints.

Great machine.

1 Like

Kicks are amazing on the AR especially if you use the peak EQ around 50-60hz. I think that plus the LFO adding attack is the trick to dialing them in before adding overdrive of course.

3 Likes

The problem I had with the kicks on the AR (not that I think AR kicks are bad by any means) is that they didnā€™t distort the way I like. Itā€™s a fairly common problem I have with Elektron and their distortions. I found the combination of AR kick and distortion just a little too much on the muddy side, like the drive is emphasizing the wrong parts of the sound almost. Something of the body of the kick gets lost in the mess so I ended up with a transient on top of some bassy sort of woompy sound. Itā€™s totally a personal taste thing, and my taste for kicks is pretty niche and a bit silly, so I canā€™t really criticise the AR for it, as I just donā€™t think it was for me.

2 Likes

Yeah I do the serious distortion after, in a sampler or through the OTO Boum

1 Like

Sounds like you need DFAM again. Heady days

2 Likes

Nope.

Problem with the DFAM is you love it for a while, then at a certain point you find yourself saying ā€œis this it?ā€ and immediately lose interest in the sound of it.

5 Likes

Thats exactly what happened with me. I ended up making a bunch kicks and snares with it, sampling them and then selling just because it was a $600 box that I kept making the same sounds on. I loved it a lot and then suddenly it just sounded the same for me.

Iā€™ve said this a few times but the Kastle Drum is the budget Dfam, but IMO better for what I do.

1 Like