Analog Rytm Vs JomoxAlpabase vs Perkons

this is a really hard decision and in an ideal world to get all of them would be fun. I borrowed a rytm and liked it but got bored and went back to my modular drums as more fun to use. I have a Jomox bass drum eurorack module and like it but the sequencer on the Alphabase is weak. Would love to try a Perkons. If I had to pick one of the three today blind folded, it would be a Rytm to go with my other Elektrons. They all sound great to me.

You canā€™t go wrong with the Rytm. The more you put into it the more it will give back to you. It has incredible potential and if you put the work in you can probably get anything out of it although the kick drum on the Alpha Base is in a league of its own. Rytm + M Base 11 would be a killer combo.

4 Likes

yeah thinking of Rytm to use in home office and fun jam box. Pair with my OP-1, OT and A4 and have all that is needed for live dance music.

Bought Rytm and plan to sample my DFAM, and Eurorack modular drums to use with it.

1 Like

I have an Alpha Base and a Perkons - the AB sounds incredible immediately (something about the way all the sampled engines sound - less filtering of aliasing?) but itā€™s not the most fun thing to use in the world - parameter locks are a PITA, sometimes the numbers on the screen will change on their own (but donā€™t seem to effect the actual sounds), the Perkons is a genius machine in terms of hands on programming but only four voices and it can feel frustratingly limited in terms of sound palette.

Iā€™m considering getting an AR MkII at some point soon. In my limited experience the analog engines mostly didnā€™t do it for me so Iā€™d primarily intend to use samples+analog filter & VCA and the impulse/noise machines. I love pinging filters in Eurorack, I could have eight voices of it and the Elektron sequencer.

Even with samples only, I think Rytm is worth it. Do it !

Iā€™m in a similar boat. Heavily ingrained in the DAW world and I do soundtrack work for games/films.

My main setup right now is a Prophet 6, Prophet X, Minibrute 2 (underrated cheap mono IMO.) I record lots of electric guitar/bass as well.

I donā€™t think youā€™d be happy with the Perkons as the primary source for a cinematic drum movement, but Iā€™m nearly positive Iā€™ll end up using it to create some unique dancing shaker or hat sections that serve as a jumping off point I can layer other sounds onto.

The shear control you have and ease of tweaking on the fly looks unreal. I think it will be great for recording in lots of live improv passes with a super human feel. Then sort the best bits later.

Iā€™m about to part with my mk2 Rytm to take a chance on Perkons (it gets here this week!) I donā€™t really make anything like techno. You can probably find some chiller Rytm examples posted by me on here somewhere. Iā€™ll certainly be posting non techno Perkons noises when I get it.

Honestly though, for my workflow I think Iā€™ll get along more with Perkons. I realized I donā€™t need a whole centerpiece workflow, I just need a sound generation/inspiration machine. Less is more to me. Iā€™d consider this in your choice.

I rarely use more than 4 tracks on Rytm, and rarely more than 16 steps (because conditionals can take you hella far.)

The Perkons seems more focused on the aspects I care about. Live manipulation at the speed of ā€œoh that sounds coolā€¦ what if Iā€¦ā€ and also randomly switching kits / patterns to suddenly find inspiration.

It has a distinct sound for sure, but Iā€™m willing to bet I could process the shit out of it and take it in many different directions. Iā€™d rather have a character box than a chameleon anyways. I still have software to cover those bases.

Lastly, for some reason Iā€™ve never been able to work the Rytmā€™s sound into my mixes. It sounds fucking great if I make a whole track on it alone, (think hip hop ish mpc style), but I have trouble using it any way where it isnā€™t the star of the show. I can rarely just throw it on an existing WIP I started with my other hardware.

Perkons almost sounds like itā€™s running through an amp / dirt pedal to me. Itā€™s got a quality I think will fit my mixes will.

As always YMMV.

3 Likes

I would love to hear what non-techno stuff you come up with!

3 Likes

This week bro! Sooooo stoked. Iā€™ve prepped a fat empty space on the desk already.

4 Likes