Any Cyclists here? Show us your bike!

I’m surprised to see some 6000 bucks bike in here but not even one e-bike :smiley: seems like it’s still a no-go for most? If I was buying a really nice bike, I’d get a fully e-bike I guess … so much comfort and good speed even though the huge increase in weight.

I got a straggler too!

2 Likes

It all depends on why you want to ride a bike. I guess e-bikes are great for commuting or if you dont want to expend as much energy. I guess the analogy woould be running - you can run or get a powered scooter - it’s not the same sport ! (Depending on if you want a bike for transport or for sport…)

1 Like

that’s a pretty weak comparison. I rode a fully e-bike once … and even though I got a motor …it was very exhausting. Of course I’d kick anybody’s ass uphill …doing wheelies @ 25 km/h (that’s the max speed it can go with a motor here in Germany without a license plate) over big roots and stuff.

Anyways… it felt like riding bike, was exhausting like riding a bike … so?

Ok… way too limiting for me (25km/h, which is also the limit in the UK, is a really really slow average speed for cycling on the road and they are really heavy for riding on the trails). Also the batteries wont last long enough for a decent long ride. I can see they’d be great for unfit people who want to pretend they are cycling though, rather than riding a motorbike, as they can be difficult to spot from a distance…

I’ve been seriously thinking about getting my partner one though so she can come out with me when I am running with the dog.

1 Like

25 km/h was not average …it was the “maximum” on very steep uphill passages in the woods :wink: (where I usually would have needed to stop and go by foot). straight I can go way faster … downhill even more - a lot more than with my daybike (which is not too slow …but of course nowhere near those 8 kg 6000 bucks carbon bikes presented here :smiley:). And the battery lasted for around 110 km … I think I never drove 110 km by bike in one day before - lots of uphill!

2 Likes

can’t speak for others, but e-bikes have never appealed to me. i prefer to ride for the health (mind and body) benefits. e-bikes are great options for folks who would otherwise get around just by car. i wish more of that group would consider them. here in the states, car culture has dominated our city planning. it will take a cultural change and political will to build bike infrastructure to get more people on bikes of any sort. i’d love to see both but am not optimistic. the few times someone on an e-bike cruised uphill not pedaling made me grumpy, especially because i consider myself a decent climber. since then, i’ve mellowed. i don’t know their circumstances. at least they’re out on a bike.

even though the cost (both short and long term) of an e-bike may be less than a car, people here still don’t see them as a viable option or even think about getting around differently. car culture is a helluva drug.

4 Likes

really funny that everybody almost hates e-bikes.

“they’re for old people!!” “they’re for folks who would otherwise get around just by car”, “they’re too slow straight”, “they’re too heavy”, “they’re cheating!”

I hear this everywhere from everyone :smiley:

those claims are false imho… if you cycle “for health” then switch to eco mode and use the pedals – the weight of the bike will be enough health for two days regular cycling. Also e-bikes that drive on its own are illegal here (without a license/registration etc. – that’s not meant with e-bike in this case – just for clarification).

I don’t ride an e-bike yet, but we will for sure get an utility e-bike sometime in the future, for riding around with the kid. They make a lot of sense for casual riders who want to commute all year in cities with hills, like here in Oslo, where they are very popular. More people riding bikes, electrified or not, is great for the environment and also means cycling infrastructure gets prioritised more.

25 km/h isn’t a bad average speed for a road ride if you’re riding by yourself, at least that’s what I’d like to think… How fast are you going? :wink:

To stay on topic: here is my road bike, which I built myself :slight_smile: Nice and stiff alloy frame, relatively lightweight tubeless wheels, weighs in at about 8 kg.

3 Likes

My partner has a Tern, a folding ebike with 20" wheels. Hauls a shocking amount of stuff. She uses it for pretty long-distance errands and such around town, year round — has studded tires for winter riding. It seems incredibly practical, and yet I also can’t imagine riding one myself.

It depends - I’ve slowed down (I’m in my 50s) - long zone 2 training ride in the UK - probably 30-32km/h. Racing would be a lot faster….

(now I only really train for long distance triathlon or race ‘cross in the winter)

25kph is a perfectly reasonable speed… On the heavy as tank three speed city rental bikes.

1 Like

that bikes looks awesome! may I ask how much you paid in the end? I am really afraid of buying a fast bike like this … I bought a pretty decent (ofc used) motorcycle this year for 1/6 of the price of some of the bikes presented here :smiley: so afraid to look for decent bicycles though…

@frosty_raver btw my motorcycle can go 160 km/h on average :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to have a Blackbird and a Fireblade….

1 Like

okay, okay… you always win :smiley:

Thanks Pete :slight_smile: I think I paid about €2000-2500 in total. Bought the frame and the wheels new, rest I found lightly used. If you’re in the market for a first road bike, I can recommend getting a lightly used alloy road bike similar to mine like a Cannondale CAAD12 or 13, I’ve seen them go for as little as €1000 for a complete bike in good shape.

@frosty_raver that’s impressive :slight_smile: I can do 30-32 km/h average if I’m putting in a hard 1-2 hour shift on the road bike, but personally I prefer to lounge around zone 1-2 and spend the whole day out instead.
@Dymaxion ok mr tough guy, let’s see your Strava profile!

2 Likes

That’s a really good tip! Will watch out for one … so I can one day come back to tell you that my average speed of the day was 36 km/h :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

as for me, e-bike is just way too large comparing to e-scooter, so i would definitely choose the latter for city ride.

and regular bike for offroad – it’s much lighter :grin:

here one of mine bikes fully custom paint black gold cinelli gazzetta 52’’ track bike

13 Likes

nice Vigo

1 Like