Any keepers of Dragons here?

My house is a small zoo. I have two doggos, three cats, and a bearded dragon. I know lots of people have dogs and cats, but are there any other nauts that have bearded dragons?

This is my guy Winston. He is a citrus color, hypo-melanasic/translucent morph which means his colors are more vivid and he has jet black eyes and clear nails.

He is super social and friendly, loves to be handled, and is toilet trained (only poops in his bathtub, not in his house).

In case you didn’t know bearded dragons are one of the most intelligent reptiles on earth. They also display social and bonding behavior with their handlers that is very uncharacteristic and more similar to that of a loyal dog and not a reptile.

29 Likes

I knew someone who had a water dragon, also highly intelligent and social. this guy looks cool for sure.

I kept a chameleon for several years, not as social but she was still pretty awesome.

2 Likes

Not my jam as a pet owner, but Winston seems like a cool lizard : ) Watch that make-up gain Winston!!!

3 Likes

Very understandable :slight_smile: I should also probly point out that keeping dragons, or any other reptile/exotic pet, that the care and cost to keep them happy and most importantly healthy is pretty steep compared to more standard pets. For example twice a year for his vet visit its min $250 just because there are very few vets that are actually qualified on reptiles.

But winston is totally my homie, my previous dragon I had for 13yrs so if you give them the proper care they can bring you a lot of happiness for a long time!

7 Likes

Great to hear that you know how to properly care for them. We make sure our cats see the vet on a regular schedule, get the best food we can afford and have an environment that will keep them happy (they have more furniture than we do lol).

2 Likes

My brother had one for years. Little dude was so chill. We absolutely adored Francis.

2 Likes

Winston looks lovely!
Here is Mango - just over 2 years old. Our 10 year old son is a big fan of reptiles, and a beardy was his first choice when we were looking at a new pet after our dog passed away.
Mango started life as a boy before laying eggs and making it clear in no uncertain terms that we are shit at working out the sex of reptiles.

11 Likes

Watson appears to have a dexterous grip on that knob. Maybe you could train him as a modulation source.

4 Likes

its ok, reptiles and beardies included are notoriously difficult to sex. The usual method of lifting the tail and shining a flashlight under their butt is pretty hit or miss, especially when they are young since their goodies, male or female pretty much look the same lol! The only real sure bet if you have to know (like breeders and suff) is to go to the vet and have them internally probed. Kinda a hassle for most people tbh.

Besides the egg thing, males and females in captivity by themselves behave pretty similarly. The only thing with males is they usually hate other male dragons, so if you plan on getting others you pretty much have to have them in separate rooms. Even if they can’t see each other if they can smell the other dragon its war.

1 Like

“Dragon” as a mod source automatically makes the sound 100% warmer.

6 Likes

This is awesome! How are the cats with Winston?

1 Like

Sure, the breeders said exactly that. Still, the eggs laid (!!) that one to rest!
Didn’t realise that it was only males that don’t get on though - just presumed it was all beardys that tend to fight if kept together.

1 Like

Hint: don’t press play!!! (I’m a belieber, if I try).

1 Like

Winston’s habitat is in my studio/office and that has a self closing, auto lock door. The cats don’t really care about him, and he doesn’t does’t really care about them. The only time that they are ever around each other is when I have Winston out and hangin out on my shoulder and in the other rooms. The cats pretty much just stay away lol.

The cats have never been allowed in my office since they do cat things and knock shit over and pull on cords and all that.

My dogs love Winston. I will put him on their back when they are laying around and Im supervising and they just chill. Its pretty funny how both the lizard and my dogs can detect each others chilled out vibes and can just hang like that

3 Likes

My dogs smoke Winston’s too! All my dogs. Bow chicky wowwow

2 Likes

LOL! You would think that’s what he is named after, but the short story is that I name all of my non- mammalian companions after famous and influential world leaders!

My previous dragon was named “Kennedy”

1 Like

She wasn’t shot was she?

1 Like

nah, lived a full 13yr happy life!

2 Likes

Changed history. That’s what’s up.

2 Likes

This is SO CUTE.

3 Likes