Anyone Want to Give Up YouTube for 40 Days?

OK, I’m up for trying this.

I won’t count anything that is mandatory for work, though.
But I’ll try to avoid YT completely otherwise.

Just almost hit play totally unconsciously: |

3 Likes

That’s the spirit, welcome to the club! I’m going to fill the gap with music (not from YouTube) when I’m working around the house and reading websites rather than binging videos.

I’m just going to put this out there, not suggesting anyone do anything and I do not guarantee the legality, but put this out there - there are youtube downloader sites which work very fast to take the url you enter and then spit out an mp4 and then you have the video with no ads, to watch at your own pace, and then delete, from your device of choice, offline.

1 Like

I’m sure Red Means Recording will make a video about you irresponsible people. You’re hurting the brave and righteous youtuber community.

3 Likes

PBS Space Time aren’t due to drop a vid for a month or so. Yeah, why not.

Also, I don’t drink. Maybe I’ll try drinking for a month.

5 Likes

I’m in.

Starting now.

2 Likes

+1 for brave browser.
And on my Android Phone, I use Newpipe, it’s a free app, for watching youtube and listening soundcloud without adds and you can download audio with it! I highly recommend it. No need to pay subscriptions, google make enough money like that :money_mouth_face:
Like Claid, i haven’t seen an add on YT for years !

3 Likes

Can confirm. It’s more enjoyable than YouTube.

What about the people who’s videos you watch? Don’t you want them to make something for their effort?

1 Like

When I want to support an artist i prefer buying albums and going to shows, instead of watching stupid adds from big companys who don’t mind about music, art and shit :wink:

2 Likes

Fair point. There’s some things on YouTube that don’t have any of those options. They probably have Patreon though. Maybe I should cancel YouTube Premium, get ad-blockers and pay for a couple of patreons every month instead. :+1:

6 Likes

Yes, Most of content creators on youtube use patreon or other donation options. This way money goes in their pockets. When you pay your youtube premium fee, i’m not sure where your money goes, but maybe not where you would like :wink:

3 Likes

No chance lol

Here’s a moment that ‘possibly’ proves the benefits of this.

I was thinking about a mixer to pair with my, not even arrived yet, MPC Live.

I was just about to go looking at reviews of Tascam Model series… Then I had to stop because of this challenge.

It’s too early to be looking, and I know that I want to build a more daily beatmaking habit with my MPC. It’s not about the end product at the moment, and that mixer should be months and months away. Youtubing now will just fill my head with clutter and distract from having fun making music.

Big up the 40 day challenge!

2 Likes

Oh god this challenge is tough. :fearful:

1 Like

Make it easier to comply by ditching all of your add blockers/ premium and using YouTube as they intend. You’ll soon be running for the hills!

5 Likes

I’m in, as a matter of fact I welcome it

2 Likes

In Scotland a tube is an idiot (in the parlance of the day) so YouTube always struck me as funny. As in ‘that bawheid is a fuckin Choob’ for context.

5 Likes

I’m in!

1 Like

Respek, I at least have Nebula for actual creator content that I dig.

One other option is to adblock at the network level, which I haven’t quite gone to lengths for, but should probably look into after I go and re-set up my Ubiquiti network.

Another over-engineered idea if people want a similar media or music experience might be to set up a Plex account, I’ve got all my local music and movies there to “stream” locally, to hotel rooms (I need to buy a fire stick while I’m at it…) and lodging overseas.

1 Like