Arturia KeyStep 37

17 Likes

Just saw that too. Nice slim controller with sequencer

I’m just gonna go ahead and order this without reading a goddam single review. This one was made for me.

8 Likes

I thought so initially as well, but are they really going to put an LED above each key and not offer a scale highlighting mode (as opposed to scale quantizer)? I’ve wanted such a keyboard in a small package for ages, and this seems frustratingly close without hitting the mark.

3 Likes

of course I just bought a Keystep one month ago.

6 Likes

It’s 55 x 14.7 x 3.5 cm, in case anybody was wondering.

2 Likes

Looks cool. Would have like them to stuff in a few more of those knobs though.

2 Likes

Same 2 months ago haha

1 Like

they need to add sequencer overdub to the old one first

2 Likes

Yep, on closer inspection, it misses the only thing I really wanted from an update, which is at least two seq tracks. This is cool and all but it’s a super expansion of a single track still.

1 Like

So glad they put the more standard USB port on it! That little skinny one was a pain when swapping out USB devices, or moving it away from my desk to a MIDI device.

2 Likes

Not to mention the power button! My cat walks over my original one, and will leave lights sitting there blinking, which is a bit annoying.

4 Likes

A small keyboard like that would be incredible for practicing, visualizing different inversions, using new scales, etc., and this is so close! I’ve been jealous of the Komplete keyboards, but I’m just not a Native Instruments user, and don’t really need a huge piece of hardware.

Also, I think prioritizing scale quantization over scale highlighting is a bit of a misstep, as quantization can really reduce expressiveness… scales aren’t rules, only guidelines!

4 Likes

Still, as far as 37 keys controllers go, it’s this and the rest now. It blows everything else out of the water. It’s just a smashing product.

1 Like

I just said smashing, didn’t I? :man_white_haired:

3 Likes

I’ve got the sl mk3 with light guide… it really is good for visualising the steps between notes

1 Like

You could also use it for smashing

That keyboard is great, but it’s just too big and too much of the functionality is built around NI software.

You’re thinking of the komplete keyboards I think. That’s novation.

1 Like

Yep, you’re right.

That keyboard is great, but it’s just too big and too much of the functionality is built around N̶I̶ ̶s̶o̶f̶t̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ Ableton Live.

2 Likes