Arturia keystep pro

Yeah I know a lot of are craving for this thing. And it is tempting to try one. But I don’t want to order yet until I know for sure. I have the question open @arturia how it would be made possible.

One thing i note on workflow – you are going to be wearing-out (probably not literally wearing-out, i mean “using constantly”) the shift button on the left-hand side, with all the double use of keys and buttons. But at least you are not menu diving for these.

ADDED: There is menu use on that tiny screen, but that seems OK to me, those ops will be on things done quite infrequently, and that screen does mean that you won’t have to use a computer for (pick a percentage) 98% of whatever you want to do -OR- if you want to use a computer monitor instead you can.

Not sure why you couldn’t. You place a midi filter between the Keystep and your sequencer. You set the filter to “normalise” all velocity data to a fixed value (eg the 100 you want). From there you can use your sequencer as you intend, the midi filter will not affect your ability to manipulate per note velocity settings on your sequencer.

I really like putting a midi-processor after a sequencer like this for all the added functionality that brings. (I’ve got a Blokas Midihib on the way, which should be the ultimate for this.) It allows you to do these extra sorts of things and add in other controllers and opens up options. Perhaps someday this sort of midi-processor functionality will come built into things like a KSP.

Obviously you can do this sort of midi processing thing in the computer, if that’s part of the picture. And the CV lends itself to all sorts of processing too.

Nice that the KSP has two DIN MIDI outs.

I note that the KSP only has a single sustain pedal input. An expression pedal input would be nice too, but again you can add those sorts of things external with a midi-processor.

1 Like

At the risk of this is kind of a silly thought, but here I go.
I was quite enthusiastic when I heard about the KSP months ago, but now that it’s there, I ask myself: if I really don’t mind extra keys, what BIG advantages has it over let’s say the Digitakt. I can only see myself using it to sequence my three non-elektron machines. And that’s one (of many other) reason(s) I bought the digitakt for. What am I missing ?
Anyway, I have already given myself time to reflect over this, since I will be waiting for a black edition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This isn’t silly at all. It makes a lot of sense. I think the question is what exactly you want to do.?

You said it yourself, the “extra keys” in the shape of a traditional keyboard, and the “sliders” and some of the other parts. So it’s a question of working interface, and something of workflow too. Though between one and the other it’s more on what you get used too. But for others the preference runs the other way. And there’s really no hard reason not to have both, one for one use and the other for another.

So it’s a matter of taste.

Might be interesting to think of the more subtle differences and detail and what one method would allow you to do that the other wouldn’t.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree totally, I guess. :slight_smile:
An advantage that I see of the KSP is that you can practise and excel with this workflow, so you don’t have to know all different sequence methods of different brands. But for me, I only use the elektron sequencers, so that doesn’t reflect on me (yet).
So in my current situation, I would have to make a choice between BT en KSP, and for now I’m more into keepting my BT. I already have the normal Keystep, and to be honest, I hardly ever use it at it’s full potential. I try to keep my focus on the elektron workflow.

Oh and just to say that I am not consistent in my thoughts at all. :slight_smile: So I could change my mind over time obviously.

1 Like

To me there are at least two standout features on the KSP:

1. The ability to have 4 arpegiators (that as best as i understand can be in different keys and scales) running independently, that can be changed around each on their own.
  2. The rich four independent channel CV output.
    -AND-

Sort of a 3) The polymeter capabilities.

1 Like

My KeyStep is paired with an OT, DT, A4 and two synth modules from Dreadbox + occasionally a Streichfett.

I could of course sequence the sound modules from the OT or DT but the hands on control of the keyboard just increases the immediacy a lot. And the build in arpeggiator bundled with the Hold button is a great way to introduce an on-the-fly layer/variation MUCH faster than I could achieve the dame on the OT or DT (on the fly that is).

All that said, I’d say we are SPOILED for choice and in the end it comes down to what works best / is most inspiring for each of us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are 3, the first track doesn’t have a arp. But still 3 is a lot.

But the Keystep is the sequencer and the keyboard. So you can’t place a midi filter between that.

As far for the velocity it looks like only the live record function saves the velocity data in the sequencer. The step sequencers take the velocity from the encoder as far I can tell from the Arturia tutorial.

1 Like

The sequencer of the Keystep does support fixed velocity settings though (to my understanding at least). So if it is the KeyStep’s sequencer you’re interested in, that issue can be solved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s tempting to sell my BSP and KS and consolidate to the KSP. I find I like playing drums on a keyboard more than pads, so I mainly just use the BSP for the assignable knobs. I wish the KSP had banks for the knobs. Maybe that will be added in a future update. Other than that it’s nearly perfect. I do wish it was just a little smaller for sake of desk space, but not the end of the world.

1 Like

Yeah exactly. I think a lot of Arturia’s customers will be current Arturia users upgrading. I suppose even Minibrute 2 users might try this too. And Arturia will pull crossgrades from other methods and systems too.

Loopop also suggested having banks of knobs. He also mentioned a couple of other things on the BSP that would be nice on the KSP, like the Roller function.

Will be interesting to see all the pairings people make with this - hausland suggested some good ones. Polysynths, monosynths, semi-modulars. Eurorack, and in-the-box. Perhaps this is an opening for the MicroFreak Desktop ?

3 Likes

I actually had an Analog Keys moment when watching the reviews from Loopop and Bobeats. There are some similarities In features and I’m tempted to buy it for the same reasons that I enjoy my Keys.
As requested by quite a few since the seq midi out update, arp out would be a great add on.
I do like the scenes feature on KSP as well. In a way it’s almost there on the A keys.

Am I wrong in seeing similarities?

If you see it that way, yep, there are quite a few similarities^^

Look Mum No Computer seeking the HOLY GRAIL of sequencers.

And in this video he ends up finally (at 5:30 in) with the “Beat Step Pro-Pro” his name for the KSP, after a quick run-through with several other sequencers on his quest.

He speculates that there will soon be a new software release with “loads of other cool features”. Like he requests that Arturia add the ability to play in arpeggiated sequences into the sequencer.

He’s promising another video with the KSP once he get’s better with it.

Fun if not enormously informative. (Well i still feel informed though.)

2 Likes

I’ve given this a go for a few days now, and quite like it. It’s much more fluent and faster than the Novation SLMKIII and the sequencer is like a more streamlined version of Elektron’s stuff. It’s everything I love about the Elektron sequencer, but integrated into a keyboard and with a more top down workflow.

It might not be everything you like about the Elektron sequencer, it doesn’t do everything, I’d say it’s a very focused product where there seems to be some thought put into what went into this, and what might never be a part of this. But for me, as a keyboard player who’s always enjoyed writings songs by a keyboard, fleshing sequences out as snippets of notes that you can then build into something bigger, the Keystep Pro is exactly that.

While size and portability make a lot of sense if you’re just going for one version of this, it’s not difficult to imagine a full scale version of this with proper keys, more tracks and encoders,. though perhaps that puts it in a price range where other options would make it less relevant, despite its fairly unique feature design.

1 Like

Using the KSP as master clock is reliable now?
I tried to use the standard KS as midi master clock for the chain AR-A4-MD-MNM-MI Yarns(for modular), and it was totally jittery, not stable at all. I had to set it as midi slave continuing to use AR as master clock.

Don’t know. Haven’t tried to clock it with something yet. I’m going to sync it with my norns this weekend for some real time looping. If it turns ugly, I’ll let you know.

EDIT - not entirely true. I bpm-synced my Prophet’s delay to the Keystep. Zero issues.

“To the” or “from the” KS? :slight_smile:

EDIT: My bad, wrong understood. Got it now :wink:

1 Like