Arturia keystep pro

Haha, thanks. I can’t really test it here (most places aren’t letting the public come in, Arizona) and most places don’t have it. I’ll just make sure I’ve got a good return policy. :slight_smile:

Good idea :slight_smile: Just to be clear, they’re perfectly fine, but compared to a fatar keybed or something, they come up a bit short. Depends on how much actual playing you’ll be doing, and how dexterous and nimble those digits of yours really are :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not really any sort of keyboard player, but yeah, the keybed isn’t great. I have stiff, clumsy, non dexterous fingers that do better on bass guitar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool, I didn’t expect them to be Fatar quality, just hopefully better than a Axiom Air Mini or other super thin cheap plastic keys (like on toys for infants).

So, I got a KSP and had to exchange it due to a problem. Debated on just getting a refund, but figured it could be cool to get some basic ideas up on the modular and maybe it will. I’d feel really bad returning this one too, but I’m getting stuck notes, functions that sometimes work and sometimes don’t, weird volume changes when I’m not touching anything. It kinda sucks. Too bad, it was a nice enough idea for the price

I’m a keyboard player since the dawn o’ time. The KSP keys are functional. You’ll get the job done with them. They don’t come close to Reface keys if we’re comparing, but they’re not nearly as bad as some of those abominations you mentioned.

3 Likes

Suhhhweet! Thanks! I like great keys like the next guy, but I can also work with less than perfect as long as they aren’t literally impossible to play. This gives me some hope that this will be serviceable as a secondary keyboard for a more convenient location.

1 Like

Uh oh, that doesn’t sound good. Hopefully this gets sorted out quickly. Did you contact Arturia directly about it at all?

1 Like

Yeah, it works. You won’t be playing sonatas on it, but it’ll work for most synth-related stuff.

Actually, I’d say the KSP is a bit of a missed mark. The original Keystep, I like because it’s so straight forward and simple, yet flexible for what it does. The KSP is more like a regular sequencer with a keyboard slapped onto it, which sounds like a good idea in theory, but then you better make a damn good sequencer. And the KSP is about average in that area, I’d say.

I much would’ve preferred something that adhered to the original Keystep design but expanded ever so slightly on its feature set, to allow for more depth on something that it already did quiet well. As much as they may seem alike, I consider the KSP a different product, not a mature version of the Keystep.

2 Likes

Not yet…it just came up tonight :slight_smile:

but ever since it was a hassle with Arturia until they’ve dropped a big firmware update with all things or nearly all things fixed.

the BSP was giving me headaches until a mayor update came along

it looks good and feels great but once a sequence is stuck you’ll put in the shelf and wait for an update to happen

It showed up today. Very relieved by the quality of the keys. Yes they’re small, but they feel perfectly fine to me. I would even call them nice for their size :slight_smile: Thanks, you were right.

They have a good spring to them and feel relatively solid. I think these are great for my purposes! I’ll really know once I’ve used them for a good while.

The overall size is very compact(more than I imagined). I could definitely see this being a performance or traveling keyboard. I also think 37 keys is my absolute minimum, any less and I feel super limited on what I can play.

I don’t mind the touch strip mod “wheel”, but the pitch bend feels pretty cramped because you really only get about 1/2 the space when bending in one direction. I would like to see a “slew limiter” thingy in the pitch bend so you could kind of just tap it rather than trying to be expressive in about an inch of space. Luckily I don’t do a ton of live pitch bending.

Now I’ll have to find time to try the sequencer. I’m hoping for it to be a quick recording / experimenting tool.

I have a “real life physical friend“ :crazy_face: who is very…let’s say, supportive of me going down the euro rack hole where he resides. Bonus points for the KeyStep Pro when he finally breaks me.

2 Likes

Very nice :slight_smile: yes, the sequencer’s quick, it’s Arturia after all and they’re pretty good at those things. I did like the KSP more than the SLMKIII, which felt awkward. Especially since I was on the Circuit for quite some time, and that one’s just more fluent than a pro dancer with greased hips.

1 Like

Are you sure? Links, please :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know, I tried to capture this in some way to show y’all, but that elusive mover and shaker just kept slipping away. Must be all that grease I was talking about :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just got one of these. Sending gate from track one to moog DFAM fine. Sending gate out from track four, no reaction. Anybody know what it is that im not doing?

Ah, figured it out - shift+CV routing on the keyboard! Good evening.

2 Likes

I am wondering how the workflow compares to Digitone sequencer? Anyone have used both?

After being on preorder for many moons, I canceled mine and found a few in stock at Control Voltage!

I need to make a spreadsheet, comparing this to Bastl Midilooper.

I’m interested in the MIDI looping capabilities and CV connectivity of both products. Keystep Pro has the advantage of having a keyboard. But there might be some feature in the Bastl that I’m overlooking. There’s a thread on another forum where somebody said Bastl can do loops of independent lengths but Keystep Pro also seems to support independent pattern lengths.